Bosch Premium 3330 - Torn Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have been cutting filter open for decades, but I think it's becoming more common today by most auto enthusiasts.

Originally Posted By: Olas
It's a shame you guys don't get real Bosch filters, in Europe Bosch are made by Bosch and the quality is comparable Mahle/Mann/Hengst/Any other respected manufacturer.

We get the European version if we have a European car. The Bosch filter for my Audi had a much different construction than a Bosch for my G. It's much the same if I get a Mann for the Audi versus a Mann for the G. The one for the G will be a Purolator class rebadge, and the one for the Audi will be a "real" Mann.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Olas
It's a shame you guys don't get real Bosch filters, in Europe Bosch are made by Bosch and the quality is comparable Mahle/Mann/Hengst/Any other respected manufacturer.

We get the European version if we have a European car. The Bosch filter for my Audi had a much different construction than a Bosch for my G. It's much the same if I get a Mann for the Audi versus a Mann for the G. The one for the G will be a Purolator class rebadge, and the one for the Audi will be a "real" Mann.

I need to stop reading - all this intercontinental badge-engineered made-under-license hurts my brain! I can strip/rebuild a gearbox in a day, but global economics does not make one bit of sense to me..

Correct
So far nobody here has said they have engine damage from torn media
I think if your oil is clean and taken care of to start with that your engine would never know the difference

man, i have about 10-15 bosch premiums sitting on my shelf. I run 5k oci but it still makes me nervous.

I think Im going to change my strategy for oci. after i run through these filters im going to go with best filter i can buy with a m1ep or castrol equivelent, and a 12k oci. with 5k oci, im doing 15-20 changes a year.

the cost per mile works out to be approx the same. it seems like there are know sure shot safe bets when it comes to inexpensive quality filters. might as well save myself a little work and go longer oci with better stuff.

Originally Posted By: lockguy
man, i have about 10-15 bosch premiums sitting on my shelf. I run 5k oci but it still makes me nervous.

I think Im going to change my strategy for oci. after i run through these filters im going to go with best filter i can buy with a m1ep or castrol equivelent, and a 12k oci. with 5k oci, im doing 15-20 changes a year.

the cost per mile works out to be approx the same. it seems like there are know sure shot safe bets when it comes to inexpensive quality filters. might as well save myself a little work and go longer oci with better stuff.

You should be able to exchange the Bosch Premium filters for Fram Ultra at the store you bought Bosch. I exchanged my stash of Purolator for Fram Tough Guard at loacl Pep Boys without receipt.

If you drive 25k-30k miles a year, M1 EP with Fram Ultra is the best combination for you, reduce 15-20 OCI's to 6 OCI's a year.

just realized i said "know" instead of "no" and it won't let me edit!!!

anyways....i got those filters from rockauto so i wouldn't feel right swapping them locally. Ill just use them then switch. Besides Ive got around 50-60 quarts of trop artic to go along with them. The local orschelns has trop artic on sale all the time for $1.99/qt. the way i go through it, its hard not to be a hoarder when i see it on sale.

and its closer to 90-100k miles a year between 3 service vehicles. the transit, Fit and an astro i don't have on my signature. The transit gets most of the work with about 50-60k a year.

I know i would like to run the M1EP, but i will have to think on which filter. Would a wix hold up to that oci? My engines are clean for sure. Oil always looks good coming out on each vehicle.

I don't know if Wix oil filter can be in service for 13-15k miles, Fram Ultra does.

If you drive 4-5k miles a month it must be mostly highway miles, then M1 EP and Fram Ultra for 13-15k OCI is a good match.

Fram Ultra at Walmart is about $8-9 not much more than Wix at around $6-7.

What is the sump capacity of the Ford Transit ? 10 quarts ? 2 M1 EP jugs plus Fram Ultra will cost you $60 per oil change, $4 per 1,000 miles.

OT I'm now obtaining Napa Gold(Wix) for $3.70 at my local Napa's twice a year 40% off sale. The are fine for 7500 to 10k mi. oci's in a well maintained vehicle. So they suit my oci better and my general preference not to run a more expensive filter like the $9 Ultra more than once, to maximize roi.

And if I don't choose to run the Napa Gold for a 7500-10k oci, which at that price is a viable option too, I'm still getting the NG for the same cost or up to $1.00 less in my applications, than an orange can. Plus I'm getting a construction I prefer, silicone adbv and thread end bypass. Not that the latter is a big deal to me, but it doesn't hurt.

I think all the filter companies or the main company that makes them are starting to cut corners anyways they can to save $.

There is no excuse for that from a BOSCH PREM filter.

I mean whats next????? soon oil filters are going to start to burst b/c they use cheap seals.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I don't know if Wix oil filter can be in service for 13-15k miles, Fram Ultra does.

If you drive 4-5k miles a month it must be mostly highway miles, then M1 EP and Fram Ultra for 13-15k OCI is a good match.

Fram Ultra at Walmart is about $8-9 not much more than Wix at around $6-7.

What is the sump capacity of the Ford Transit ? 10 quarts ? 2 M1 EP jugs plus Fram Ultra will cost you $60 per oil change, $4 per 1,000 miles.

The transit is a small van. it actually uses the duratec 2.4L engine used in the focus. It uses about 4.5 qts to fill the oil. With filter it should be $30-35

you might have convinced me on the ultra filter.

Fram Ultra around ~6 dollars with 40% online discount from AAP and if you have discover credit card an additional 5% in cash back which makes this filter totally worth the while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back