2005 Subaru Forester XT 5spd Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So with the price of gas being ridiculous and my wife chewing through $80+ a week in the Expedition I figured we'd pick up something a little more economical.

Given my relative disdain for most automatics we were looking for something in a 5 or 6 speed manual. Originally we were looking at something like a Focus, Jetta....etc but then I spotted this little gem on the website of my Chrysler dealer (where I bought the M5) and so I popped up to check it out.

The body isn't perfect (a few scratches and dings), but the car has an absolutely fantastic maintenance history and has only had two owners. It was serviced at a well regarded Subaru specialty shop NV Auto with Motul fluids and they recently did the timing belt, all associated tensioners and idlers, water pump....etc as well as the clutch (lightweight WRX flywheel and WRX clutch).

It has new brakes and a host of other parts.

I was not originally even thinking about a Subaru but I know a lot of guys on here like them and when I spoke to Rand about it he had some very specific questions regarding the car like the timing belt and once we'd determined that everything had been looked after he thought it was a good deal, so we snapped it up this AM.

A few pics from the dealer's site (not sure how long they'll be up for):

bed06c30a948512cda3042caa7a387fax.jpg

6e2012b3e021776889fd73acb1b1d019x.jpg

2c515c3d7e6923efbe5f075bcdaa5c38x.jpg

The front bumper needs to be resprayed, it isn't scratched, it almost looks like it had brake fluid spilled on it or something and the pain has come off. I'll have Ford do that.

I had it out for a good drive yesterday and was really impressed with how nice the interior was, how comfortable it was, the quality of the interior bits and the distinct absence of any squeaks and rattles. Looking forward to see how it works next winter too
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
AWD turbos are not that good on gas. Have you checked the mpg rating?

+1

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

+1

+2

You'll probably average 24mpg or so. Maybe 26.

My non-turbo averages 28 summer and 25 winter. I'll get 29 on a longer trip. It's not great, but for AWD with a manual transmission there aren't many options.

I own a 2007 WRX with a five speed I bought new. The 05' XT manual is rated 17 city, 22 highway and requires 91 octane or higher. the only thing to be concerned about on this engine is the oil pickup tube cracking. They make a good aftermarket part to prevent catastrophic damage. Type in forester pickup tube crack in Google images.

18/22 IIRC. Which is WAAAAAAAAY better than the Expedition.

Subarus are pretty neat.
We've had three of them, with two remaining in the fleet.
In snow, a Subie is great.
A turbo Subie will eat an Expedition for lunch in any contest of speed.
No Subaru is the most economical thing going, but any Subaru is a Prius as compared to an Expedition.
Welcome to the dark side!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Guys he's coming from an expedition.. Anything will get better mpg than that.

Also those XTs are pretty quick too.

Bingo. The M5 feels like a Civic in terms of gas mileage compared to the Expedition.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Guys he's coming from an expedition.. Anything will get better mpg than that.

Exactly. It's all relative.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Nice!

What did the Expedition get with her type of driving??

Horrific. I don't know the exact number, but according to her it is $40.00 every two to three days. For comparison the M5 costs me about 40 every other week.

I'm thinking like 8-10Mpg in town?

If you only put forty bucks in your M5 every other week then you aren't doing very many miles.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If you only put forty bucks in your M5 every other week then you aren't doing very many miles.

Nope, usually only to work and back and then off shooting on the weekend. I put fuel in it today and it has half a tank. That'll last me quite a while.

That will change when we start going to the cottage of course.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
……...they recently did the timing belt, all associated tensioners and idlers, water pump....etc as well as the clutch (lightweight WRX flywheel and WRX clutch). …………….

You might want to install an aftermarket oil pickup tube in the engine. The OE tube has been known to crack, usually resulting in a destroyed engine. Burned exhaust valves can also be an issue in the turbo engine. Checking valve lash would be a good idea, even though the maintenance schedule does not call for it. Not sure how hard it is on the Forester to remove the valve covers.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

No doubt! Last I checked, gasoline over the boarder from me in Canada was over $5/gal.

She's a beauty of a Forester none the less O!

FWIW, my new XV Crosstrek seems to have leveled out to ~28mpg tank to tank for mild temperature daily driving.

Last edited:
Nice which year?

My wife has a similiar engine vehicle with manual in the Legacy GT 2005 although it has 250HP instead of the 220ish. She loves the car.

There are known issues as I am experiencing a burned valve albeit 175,000 miles and banjo bolts(mesh screen in oil lines) that need replacing.

Pretty good.
Our Forester has never ever done better than 28 mpg on a tank, and that was like best ever with only highway driving while keeping the revs below 3.5K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back