How high do you rev your engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me in my WRX, normal driving I shift around 2500-3000 RPM, highway "mild fun" after it's warmed up probably 4000, max acceleration between 5000 and the 6.5k redline. Cruising is comfortable anywhere from 2.5k to probably 3.25k, wherever it falls in 5th gear at reasonable speeds.

In this car anything under 1.75k or so will feel like it's lugging except in 1st or 2nd gear, maybe 3rd with only very light throttle. I will downshift in general to keep it above 2k. If I want to accelerate soon, a downshift to keep it above 3k is even better, ideally sitting at that speed long enough for the turbo to spool up
smile.gif

I tried shifting @ 2.5k (rather than my usual 3-3.5k) from a light the other day and the guy behind me impatiently honked at me...oh well...

My 2004 S2000 (AP2) has the larger 2.2L engine with 8000 RPM redline. It's been modified with a turbo kit, stand alone engine management computer and a large number of other parts.

The engine regularly reaches the 8500 RPM fuel cutoff. I'm not going to claim it's going to last forever operating like this. However, the head is capable of just shy of 12,000 RPM before valve float sets in. The bottom end seems to hold up well for the others operating an AP2 like this.

Failures are more likely to be head gasket related. Or detonation related/cylinder failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back