Rain-X vs Wax on Windshields. Which?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aquapel is like Rain-X but for professionals... it lasts 10x as long, and personally it's the only thing I'd ever put on my windshield.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: BISCUT
I've had some trouble in applying RX in the past. Mind sharing how you apply? I get swirls and streaks I can see.

Follow the directions to a "T". Raise wipers so the solution doesn't get directly on the rubber. As mentioned using a wet paper towel immediately after applying works wonders. I do one side at a time and don't let it dry. Don't apply in sun either.

Oh... Shoot... I wiped the wipers with the Rain-X...
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Turk
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
I've had some trouble in applying RX in the past. Mind sharing how you apply? I get swirls and streaks I can see.

Follow the directions to a "T". Raise wipers so the solution doesn't get directly on the rubber. As mentioned using a wet paper towel immediately after applying works wonders. I do one side at a time and don't let it dry. Don't apply in sun either.

Oh... Shoot... I wiped the wipers with the Rain-X...
frown.gif

Isopropyl Alcohol should take it off.

I apply Rain-X to the glass prior to washing the vehicle. Then, while the Rain-X is drying/hazing(which doesn't take but a minute), I vacuum the interior, clean the wheels/tires. THEN, I wash the car as normal.

If you want to apply the Rain-X w/o washing the vehicle, I like Traction's method:

Originally Posted By: Traction
I've found the trick to applying Rain x is wipe it on, and use a spray bottle, mist a little water on it. Wipe it with a mf towel and no steaks. Works great.

I tend to apply Rain-X immediately before driving in rain. Slap it on and let the rain take care of polishing it off. That seems to work all right.

Good Idea but, I don't like getting too much of the R-X product on the wiper blades as it tends to dry'em out sooner. I've gotten R-X on my hands/skin and I can see what it does to it...that dry feeling!

There is no question rain x is far superior to any form of wax when applied to jet aircraft windshields.

In fact, wax holds up for about 5 minutes of in flight rain. Rain x works for about 30 days.

Anytime I have used actual car wax on the windshield, all I got was smear/haze during the rain, making it very dangerous to drive expecially at night when you really need to see the best.

I hear that silicone polishes work similar to R-X but IDK, not going there
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Cujet
In fact, wax holds up for about 5 minutes of in flight rain. Rain x works for about 30 days.

Have you tried RejeX on aircraft windshields? I have no experience with that myself, but have heard plenty of good anecdotes. What I really like about RejeX is the ability to get bugs off easily. For ease of application and beading, I'd have to say I prefer Rain-X.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Cujet

Have you tried RejeX on aircraft windshields? I have no experience with that myself, but have heard plenty of good anecdotes. What I really like about RejeX is the ability to get bugs off easily. For ease of application and beading, I'd have to say I prefer Rain-X.

Of course I've tried Rejex on aircraft windshields. I go through that stuff by the case. Like other waxes, it does not bead water on jet aircraft glass windshields for long.

RejeX's durability on automotive applications seems pretty good. The effect on the bug splats lasted all summer. But, as I mentioned in another thread ages ago, it doesn't seem to bead on windshields quite the same was as Rain-X.

I never really had the opportunity to compare both side by side for durability. I'd do the Rain-X fairly regularly, since it isn't exactly a chore to put on.

Don't try and re-invent the wheel using other stuff. Try rain-x, that was designed to let water blow off the glass. I put it on before a road trip when expecting rain. Where it really shines, is a night. Drove 300 miles one night in heavy rain without using the wipers and you can't see the water droplets in the dark. Works awesome and one little bottle will last for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back