2011 TDi wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend has one and swears the service techs tell him to run only the recommended oil, Castrol 5w30LL, and that they can tell if a customer runs anything else.

I'm not educated on what his car needs for oil, but I do know many good oils are out there for diesels.

I did look at some UOA's where as soon as people had dropped from 10k to 5k intervals the wear metals were drastically reduced.

What oils can he use?

Thanks.

Yes, but was the wear sum of two 5K intervals drastically less than one 10K?

Originally Posted By: Sonataman
Friend has one and swears the service techs tell him to run only the recommended oil, Castrol 5w30LL, and that they can tell if a customer runs anything else.

crackmeup2.gif

My experience with VW disservice technicians is that they have told me lots of things, very few of which have any bearing on truth or reality.

Originally Posted By: Sonataman
What oils can he use?

As QP said, to maintain warranty any oils meeting VW 507.00 spec. If it were my common rail TDI, I would personally run MB 229.51 oils such as Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40. Common sense dictates whatever he runs should be DPF friendly regardless if he goes with something that will satisfy warranty requirements or otherwise.

Probably what they meant to say is that they can tell if a non-507.00 oil has been used. And they would be right about that.

Any 507 oil will be fine. I like M1 ESP in ours. We've also run the dealer Castrol early on. Both are good. Both meet warranty.

If under warranty, it must be 507.00 oil in the CR engines. Once out of warranty, you can play with the other low-SAPS varieties. Check with the TDI groups.

Be happy they knew that much. Your dealer is likely smarter than most. Mine overfilled ours with bulk tank 502 oil the first time, requiring a towback.

Originally Posted By: scurvy

As QP said, to maintain warranty any oils meeting VW 507.00 spec. If it were my common rail TDI, I would personally run MB 229.51 oils such as Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40. Common sense dictates whatever he runs should be DPF friendly regardless if he goes with something that will satisfy warranty requirements or otherwise.

ESP 5w30 also has 229.51 approval.

oddly enough, ESP Formula M 5w40 was discontinued in Europe, which the ESP 5w30 replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back