Dexcool Pink or Orange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: outoforder
I read that on the back of the bottle. I was fascinated to read that tap water was acceptable.
..as long as the water is not like well water…however I think distilled is recommended for the other type of coolants…not sure though for any newer style formulas...

Originally Posted By: Petersubaru
The most recent coolant supplier for new GM cars is manufactured by Prestone ..here is the MSDS and the corressponding part #s which would also included the AC/delco label

I wonder when they switched from Havoline as the supplier??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Petersubaru
The most recent coolant supplier for new GM cars is manufactured by Prestone ..here is the MSDS and the corressponding part #s which would also included the AC/delco label

I wonder when they switched from Havoline as the supplier??
21.gif

..all I can say, the switch from Havoline, ( the original formula with 2 ethy Potass. to Prestone ( 2 ethy sodium ) happened a long time ago..

Another thought on when did GM switch…sometime ago when looking at a couple of european coolant manufacturing sites, the Original dex is not to used on vehicles after 2001-02 ( can't remember which yr ) ..In N/Am, for easy of simplicity many coolants fall under the term Dexcool while not so in Europe... the newer GM version seems more compatible for almost any newer vehicle, be it GM ford subi etc as stated here @ http://www.acdelco.com.au/PDFs/Specs_ACDelco_DexCool.pdf

The only real Dexcool I have seen has been Orange. Unless it is old, dirty, sealants have been added or someone mixed in some other kind of coolant...

Last edited:
Hello, What a great thread. Cars of my family and friends are involved in the "Vortex of Dex-Cool joy".

2002 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3L....OUT: mix slop.......IN: Dex-Cool after pharmaceutical level flush
2002 Saab 9-3 SE 2.0L.........pinkish looking fluid we have yet to change. Is this old Dex-Cool?
2005 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3L......OUT: mix slop.......IN: Dex-Cool after pharmaceutical level flush
2003 Chevy S-10 4.3L..........OUT: rusty water...IN: DEX-Cool after dishwasher detergent flush

The following statements are not scientific.
1) Everything seems OK so far
2) The vehicles in which I used distilled water have sparkling orange/red coolant today. This includes other vehicles and coolants.
3) The vehicles where HARD WELL WATER was used are a bit cloudy. This includes other vehicles and coolants.
4) The S-10 owner employed municipal tap water and is less cloudy than the well water solutions.
5) While tap waters might be fine, they vary. Why lose the sparkle and risk contamination for $6 worth of distilled jug water?
6) I intend to do a lower hose and drain cock pull to see if anything solid comes out of the '02 9-3. When clean, I intend to refill with orange Dex-Cool.

Any advice or comments are welcome. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back