restored lawn boy 2 cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but this thread has got me motivated to go ahead with restoring an old commercial Sarlo mower I have. Can anyone tell me where is the best place to go to get an old mower repainted? I want something more than just sanding it down myself and spray painting it. Would an auto paint shop be the place to go, or somewhere else?

Originally Posted By: Gizmo8800
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but this thread has got me motivated to go ahead with restoring an old commercial Sarlo mower I have. Can anyone tell me where is the best place to go to get an old mower repainted? I want something more than just sanding it down myself and spray painting it. Would an auto paint shop be the place to go, or somewhere else?

I would look for a local automotive paint dealer. They generally will know those who buy paint from them and can make a recommendation. An individial might do a better job economically that a busy auto bodyshop.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Nayov
What was the reasoning behind the odd ball wheel configuration on those things and what's the vestigial wheel up front for?

The fifth wheel up front is to prevent the right front from nose-diving into a root or depression in the ground. The staggered-wheel design is one that prevents scalping of the grass and allows a remarkably flat cut on uneven ground, but there are drawbacks as well. That right front is like a big scoop...if you have the mower set low (as many southern grasses prefer), it's not hard to "dig" that right front into the ground, especially if it's not self-propelled, as that mower in the picture appears not to be. When you push on the handle, the front of the mower will naturally want to lean down.

This isn't really a problem on self-propelled mowers. Pull the bail and the rear wheels spin and weight is actually lifted OFF the front. But when pushing, that front wants to dig in. It's also not really a problem with the alloy decks. Compared to the alloy decks, the steel decks flex a lot. I own two of both and won't buy any more steel deck ones.

Same concept as the deck wheels on a riding mower. I actually like that guy's idea (the fifth wheel).

You nailed it. Apparently one of the previous owners added the 5th wheel to help keep the right front corner from digging in. It seems to work pretty well but the diameter of the wheel probably needs to be a little bigger.

This was a $50 CL buy that I use for a small grassy area by my pool since I mow the main yard with the lawn tractor. This Lawnboy is just perfect for the job and I really kinda like it.

Hokie- Thanks for the offer.... I will check out the numbers and get back to you.

I scored a LB 7073 from Craigslist free stuff in '07 I used it for 5 yrs as a trimmer The LB has a strong following and is collectible. The tractor forum has a sub forum for walk behind mowers that has a strong LB contingent. I picked up a newer one for 50$ but dont use it. I have a fine running Toro walk behind with a Suzuki 4 stroke. I like 2 stroke mowers. Light and agile. I dose my 2 stroke mix with MMO. Smells great.

I got the duraforce mower friday. Cranked it up today. Runs great , does need a new primer. Has a lot of power!! Smokes a bit on homelite synthetic at 32:1. Should i go 40:1? Do i just pull off the old primer cover? Does the new on slip on?

Last edited:
Hope ya like that duraforce. Just watched another lawnboy bricktop sell on ebay for $1025 makes me consider selling o couple of mine. They are much more rare.

I just picked up a Duraforce 6.5 that "didn't run" for $50. It's rough, but it's so cheap. I just spent 10 minutes on it and it fired right up and mowed the entire lawn. I need to fix the throttle as it's stuck at WOT, but that's fine with me. I found myself a new keeper.

I can't imagine running it at 32:1. It smokes like a pig at ~64:1 on Amsoil Saber with 93 octane Shell V-Power. I'm excited to find an 8am neighbor pleaser for so little money.

Originally Posted By: UncleLee
Wish I could figure out how to post pics, do I have to be on a computer to do that?

I post images to image shack and then embed them. I did not know how until JHZR2 gave me instructions.

The duraforce runs really good. No surging. It really does have power and is not loud. I'm sure it will do well with the mulch plate i ordered, so i don't throw grass in the flower beds and around trees.

Originally Posted By: PhilsSmallEngine
I just picked up a Duraforce 6.5 that "didn't run" for $50. It's rough, but it's so cheap. I just spent 10 minutes on it and it fired right up and mowed the entire lawn. I need to fix the throttle as it's stuck at WOT, but that's fine with me. I found myself a new keeper.

I can't imagine running it at 32:1. It smokes like a pig at ~64:1 on Amsoil Saber with 93 octane Shell V-Power. I'm excited to find an 8am neighbor pleaser for so little money.

Alot of times if they have sat for a few years they will smoke untill they pass al the crude out of the carb and so on. Most of the time they will clear up after a mow or two.

Last edited:
I have a multiple snow throwers with R-Tek engines (aka the Duraforce without an airbox) and they smoke like pigs too. I'm just a bit of a baby when it comes to the amount of smoke my 2 cycles put out. This thing looks like it was never run more than 50 hours total. No carbon build up and the carb was spotless. It wouldn't start because the primer line was broken and the bulb had a rip in it. The guy I bought it from said it sat for a year in his really nice basement/garage.

Now I need to pick up a couple more primer bulbs as they are the same as my snow thrower and mulching plug and I'm all set.

I have two LB 2-stroke Mowers. One is the "Silver" Duraforce Series 10323 self prop. and a "Gold" Duraforce series personal pace bagger. LOVE the staggered deck. Very powerful engine. On the Duraforce engine, be aware of the spring which opens/closed the rear choke on the carb. If this isn't working properly you'll have a VERY hard time starting the mower. This was the problem I had w/the 10323. I took the carb off the "Gold" and could not get that spring back on properly! So...I ordered two throttle cables (42"/47" length) and will open and closed the rear choke manually w/this additional cable. They will start/run great after this modification. On my mowers, I'm doing the 32:1 mix. 4 oz. oil to 1 ga. gas. Great mowers though for me it has been a love/hate relationship. Now that I figured out the carb issue, it will be all good from now on! I hope!

Just got my 1989 "Green Hornet" fired up for the first mowing of the season today.

Purring like a kitten..
thumbsup2.gif

For some reason, i now want another, I have no idea why. I think i know someone with an older brick top style with a bad deck, i may see if i can get it.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
For some reason, i now want another, I have no idea why. I think i know someone with an older brick top style with a bad deck, i may see if i can get it.

The bug has bit, lol welcome to the club

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: UncleLee
Wish I could figure out how to post pics, do I have to be on a computer to do that?

I post images to image shack and then embed them. I did not know how until JHZR2 gave me instructions.

So I started a photobucket, uploaded pics, tried to post them here, just a bunch of code in my message. Tried to embed them, just a bunch of code in my message. Tried to link to them, got a link to show up but it took me to a page that was no longer available, went on youtube and whatched a video about how to share pics to a web site, copied click for click........a bunch of code in my message. Maybe I need to go to tech school and get some kind of computer degree so I can post a pic of my lawnboy....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back