Are you able to buy ammo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a brick of 400 Federal 22lr CPHP about 10 years ago to go plinking and my gun (Jager AP74) wouldn't load it properly. So the ammo just went on the shelf (about 300 rounds left)

I just looked at the price tag on it and it is $14.99!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
I bought a brick of 400 Federal 22lr CPHP about 10 years ago to go plinking and my gun (Jager AP74) wouldn't load it properly. So the ammo just went on the shelf (about 300 rounds left)

I just looked at the price tag on it and it is $14.99!
crazy2.gif

mine isn't that old and it says 14.99, 4 years old maybe. the .22 magnum stuff i use sparingly, but it's still on shelves

Those of us in the know, know. Those of us who aren't haven't a clue!

Let those who don't know stay blissfully unaware. It is not our job to enlighten them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: c502cid

Those of us in the know, know. Those of us who aren't haven't a clue!

Let those who don't know stay blissfully unaware. It is not our job to enlighten them.

tell us all about it. is clearing the shelves at walmart part of some secret society with three corner hats who mutter "founding fathers" 5 times an hour? do tell my good man

and the troll takes the bait and runs with it.....

Now, now, don't question the IQ.

can't explain your hoarding. you're just "in the know". LOL
certainly easier than trying to explain your mindset isn't it?

So, where does one draw the line on hoarding vs. preparedness?

I watched folks sit in line in 1973-1974 to buy gasoline that had nearly quadrupled in price. My mom was among them. Hoarding? Price gouging? Panic?

Or market responding to the Arab oil embargo and the dramatic shift in supply vs. demand?

Demand is way up for ammo. Gov't buying has been relatively steady, the increase has come from consumers. That means all of us here as well as the crazy preppers. Folks have the freedom to purchase what they want at the price they want. Like tulip bulbs in 1637, this can create excess demand due to public perception of scarcity...that's exactly what's going on with ammo. If you've not read the AR article to which I referred, I strongly encourage you to do so.

Similarly, I keep spare batteries in the house for hurricanes, but there's a run on them every time a hurricane nears my area. I simply prefer to buy them before the panic sets in and the prices go up based on the public perception of scarcity.

Can't do that with perishables, but I can do that with goods like ammo, batteries, bottled water, and yep, motor oil...

Folks that don't plan, or believe in future scarcity, are going to be paying more than folks that either plan better or that don't share that perception and are willing to wait.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FXjohn
can't explain your hoarding. you're just "in the know". LOL
certainly easier than trying to explain your mindset isn't it?

How much ammo and how much cash have you donated to the Jr. league shooters whether it be 4-H, Scout Camp, or any other group/organization teaching the shooting sports to the upcoming generation?

Or are you only concerned with yourself and your political viewpoint.

Interesting that 22lr hoarding is even associated with preppers in any conversation. Since it is a free country, it is within everyone's rights to buy as much as a store will allow them at whatever price. That goes for ammo, water, kids clothes, or anything else bought or sold. Complaining about it just says you don't want it bad enough to go after it, or pay the current price for it. It's called choices, and you are free to make them. But advocating government intervention is just a whiners way of saying "make them give me whatever I want, make them... its not fair"
Someone call a waaaaaambulance.

Interesting that 22lr hoarding is even associated with preppers in any conversation.

yeah comparing hoarders to preppers is a real stretch

Originally Posted By: sw99
Check your Army Navy Surplus stores. I bought 9 cases of Federal .22 for $199 a case.

How many are in a case?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: jcwit
Originally Posted By: FXjohn
Originally Posted By: grampi

Oh, I'm sure the guy would love to confiscate everybody's guns and ammo, fortunately for us, he doesn't have the laws to back up those desires...

oh you're sure. that's why the panic I guess

Just a little education.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?240038-Found-on-Facebook

Link requires membership.

American Rifleman had an extensive article on ammo supply. Simply put: consumer demand has gone way up. Factories are working 3 shifts to try and keep up and production has focused on the common calibers, but demand remains high.

I don't think it's the survivalist/prepper types that are driving up .22LR, frankly, it's the sport shooter that wants rounds for plinking.

The prepper types drove up demand for AR-15 magazines and .223/5.56mm last year and that demand has finally been met. While demand was high, folks were getting $100 (and higher) for a box of 90 rounds of .223.

That ammo is back in stock (and back to normal prices) and magazines are back down to $13 for a Magpul at my LGS (so, yeah, I bought a few more Magpul magazines and 1,000 rounds of XM193 last week for $420).

The Gov't doesn't use .22LR. Preppers don't. It's your fellow sport shooters that are causing the demand spike. It'll come back down in price and .22 LR availability will return to normal again.

But with gun sales doubling since 2008, the volume of .22LR (and other popular calibers like 9mm, .45ACP and .223/5.56mm) will never return to 2008 levels...there are too many new owners that want to shoot.

I think the problem with .22 ammo is the hoarders...it isn't sport shooters shooting it all up because it isn't available enough right now for sport shooters to be able to shoot it...the hoarders are buying it all up, then selling it a little at a time for 5 or 6 times the normal price....

Grampi - the point is: the only real demand for .22 is sport shooters.

No one else buys it. There are those who buy and resell it, just like in every caliber and in every commodity from oil to ammo and tulip bulbs (though that market has been stable for a few hundred years). But those resellers are selling to the only buyers of .22 out there: the sport shooter.

The supply of .22 is constrained, factories are working 3 shifts to produce it. So it's the demand that's driving up price and driving down availability. That demand comes from people that shoot and own .22 ( I am one of those by the way).

Are you seriously suggesting that mysterious groups of people who don't own .22 caliber guns are buying it just to keep it for no purpose? If so, that's one small weird group (maybe they keep it with their beanie babies...another bubble from a few years ago) and I don't see them creating significant demand.

I shoot with my daughter, who learned when she was 13. At 13, she was easily able to handle an AR-15. Perhaps it would be simpler to switch guns for now and wait until this bubble bursts. The AR-15 magazine and ammo bubble has burst. .22 will come back down.

Last edited:

If everyone stopped buying .22LR, then yes, it would magically reappear...that's the nature of the supply/demand curve intersection and price point.

But hoping that everyone will stop buying something that they want is like hoping to see a unicorn...both magical and unlikely.
Not stop buying. Stop paying the neckbeards 2x/3x who bought the ammo an hour ago at Walmart. What's confusing about this?

Originally Posted By: hatt

If everyone stopped buying .22LR, then yes, it would magically reappear...that's the nature of the supply/demand curve intersection and price point.

But hoping that everyone will stop buying something that they want is like hoping to see a unicorn...both magical and unlikely.
Not stop buying. Stop paying the neckbeards 2x/3x who bought the ammo an hour ago at Walmart. What's confusing about this?

Same argument was made when the price of gasoline went up. Stop paying $3.00/gallon. Show the oil companies, bring demand down and they'll lower the price.

But no one was willing to stop driving, so the price stayed high. Still is.

The gasoline market has a few more factors but the point is the same: supply and demand.

You're asking for people to stop demanding ammo. Sure, in that case of falling demand, then the neck beards wouldn't be able to resell it, and they would stop buying it, and the price would fall. It's Econ 101.

So, how do you propose we stop people from buying so that the price will come down and you can buy? You don't see the circular nature of your complaint? "All you people stop buying so that I can buy"...do you think that's realistic?

.22 is being made. It's being sold. It's a market under pressure, but it will return to normal, just like Beanie Babies and Tulip bulbs...

It's not the same argument at all. Were you buying gas off craigslist for $6/gal the guy bought an hour earlier for $3?

If there was no demand, then people wouldn't pay that mark up.

But there is demand, so they will pay 3 times the price. And folks will get up early to meet the WM delivery truck to buy the ammo to make a few $$ on that mark up. At 3 boxes per customer, they're not making much, but because the demand is there, they're making it.

Without the demand, without the willingness of someone else to pay that mark up, it all collapses.

How do you propose reducing demand?

Grampi - the point is: the only real demand for .22 is sport shooters.

No one else buys it. There are those who buy and resell it, just like in every caliber and in every commodity from oil to ammo and tulip bulbs (though that market has been stable for a few hundred years). But those resellers are selling to the only buyers of .22 out there: the sport shooter.

The supply of .22 is constrained, factories are working 3 shifts to produce it. So it's the demand that's driving up price and driving down availability. That demand comes from people that shoot and own .22 ( I am one of those by the way).

Are you seriously suggesting that mysterious groups of people who don't own .22 caliber guns are buying it just to keep it for no purpose? If so, that's one small weird group (maybe they keep it with their beanie babies...another bubble from a few years ago) and I don't see them creating significant demand.

I shoot with my daughter, who learned when she was 13. At 13, she was easily able to handle an AR-15. Perhaps it would be simpler to switch guns for now and wait until this bubble bursts. The AR-15 magazine and ammo bubble has burst. .22 will come back down.

I'm not saying people who don't own .22s are buying up the ammo, I'm saying there are people who are buying 10s of thousands of rounds they have no intention of shooting themselves...they intend to sell most of it at absurdly high prices, which is completely unnecessary...I say leave it on the shelves so those of us who want to shoot can do so without having to pay ridiculously high ammo prices...the demand is no higher than it's ever been, it's only perceived to be higher because ammo hoarders have made buying ammo much more difficult...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back