m1-0w20 vs m1-5w20 in 05 Civic - (fist post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have doing a fair bit of reading on the forums on the benefits vs risks of both oils. I can't find much on the risks, perhaps because there are too many risks. I was in the local honda dealer and had the chance to talk to the service manager on the issue. He had a strong opinion on not using 0w20, the only reason he was able to provide was that 5w20 is "...a proven oil viscosity by years in the engine, and tested by Honda engineers. Why risk a motor on a lower viscosity oil. No one knows the impact on internal components of the engine."

I just want to provide the best lubrication for my 240,000km ( about 149,000 mi), 5 spd, that does a lot of highway driving in temperature from -30F to 95F.

Your thoughts?

PS: my first post.
smile.gif

welcome2.gif

First off, welcome to BITOG!

Second, if he is a "service" manager, he should know they are both 20 weight oils and Honda back specced 0w20 in some model years.....

You will be fine with any syn 0w20.....

Not much of a difference between the M1 5/20 and 0/20.
If you are looking to try a synthetic 0w20 that will provide exceptional efficiency and protection,
try TGMO 0w20(Toyota Genuine Motor oil). You can find it at Toyota or Lexus dealers. It's usually around $5-5.50 a litre.
Check out some of the VOA's and discussions.
It's ultra low viscosity 36 and super high VI 216 allow for gains in economy and protection.

Cheers.

First welcome to BITOG!

What "risks" are we talking about here?
There aren't any risks as has been mentioned they are both 20 grade oils.
M1 5W-20 is somewhat heavier even at operating temp's than M1 0W-20. But them M1 0W-20 is heavier than the OEM 0W-20s such as the Honda brand 0W-20.

I think the 2005 Civic has been back spec'd to the 0W-20 grade in which case your can use it without concern.
The best 0W-20 value in Canada is the Mobil made Toyota 0W-20 for $5.65/L. That said my local Cdn Tire had M1 0W-20 on sale yesterday for $20.49 for a 4.4L jug; the cheapest price I've seen for that oil.

Use either one. It won't make any real/noticeable difference. For that matter you could even use 0W-30 or 5W-30, your Civic won't care.

Last edited:
So the Honda engineers weren't too concerned about the engine of my '12 Accord when they recommended 0W-20 as the only grade for all conditions?
Seriously, most OTS 0W-20s are not much different from their 5W-20 brother jugs.
There are potential gains in some of the high VI oils, as Caterham noted.
You have no risks involved in using a 0W-20.
You might not gain anything tangible either.
OTOH, at the -30F end of the scale, an oil with better cold specs would always be welcome.
Check these specs carefully for whatever 0W-20 you decide on for winter.
Almost all product data sheets provide MRV and CCV numbers.

[quotTGMO. TERHAM] First welcome to BITOG!

What "risks" are we talking about here?
There aren't any risks as has been mentioned they are both 20 grade oils.
M1 5W-20 is somewhat heavier even at operating temp's than M1 0W-20. But them M1 0W-20 is heavier than the OEM 0W-20s such as the Honda brand 0W-20.

I think the 2005 Civic has been back spec'd to the 0W-20 grade in which case your can use it without concern.
The best 0W-20 value in Canada is the Mobil made Toyota 0W-20 for $5.65/L. That said my local Cdn Tire had M1 0W-20 on sale yesterday for $20.49 for a 4.4L jug; the cheapest price I've seen for that oil.

[/quote]

Is it advertised in your sales flyer or online? Maybe only some CT stores..also my Toyota dealer charges like 7-8 For TGMO but I agree with your recommendations!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back