Rain-X vs Wax on Windshields. Which?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...please leave the anti-Rain-X posts off this thread; not interested in going there on here...

Ok, I've used Rain-X for very many years. Wife really likes it... About a year ago I started experimenting using Wax on the Windshields and it does essentially the same thing.

Last night I put Rain-X on her Windshield before the multi-day Monsoon we're having, felt the smoothness, then put on Sure City Garage Speed Demon over it. It felt even more smooth.

So, which do you prefer & why?
Have you tried Wax in the Windshield?

IIRC wax will cause chatter and maybe visibility problems. I've heard Acrylic Sealants work (EX, Klasse) well.

I use RX on my side/rear windows. I've had the same bottle since 1993.

Originally Posted By: Turk

Rain-X because it last much longer than wax.

Rain-X's primary active ingredient is polysiloxanes, functional groups that bind to the hydroxyl group of the glass surface.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Originally Posted By: Turk

Rain-X because it last much longer than wax.

That's been my experience.

I like RainX, but I also like what the wax does at the car wash.

Wax at the car wash is very very short lived 'though compared to RainX.

Wilhelm D...that sounds like geopolymer "liquid stone"

I've had some trouble in applying RX in the past. Mind sharing how you apply? I get swirls and streaks I can see.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
I've had some trouble in applying RX in the past. Mind sharing how you apply? I get swirls and streaks I can see.

Typically, you need to keep wiping, for a few minutes, until the streaks go away. I'll also use a 2nd clean wiping cloth to get the lingering streaks to fade.
smile.gif

I've found the trick to applying Rain x is wipe it on, and use a spray bottle, mist a little water on it. Wipe it with a mf towel and no steaks. Works great.

Maybe its just me, but I have had terrible luck with Rain X on my windshield. I applied the stuff the day I bought the bottle and my wiper blades lost their performance instantly. They would smear the water across the windshield rather than "scrape" it off. The blade didn't make full contact with the glass anymore either. They were probably 3 months old at the time?

I still continue to use the product on all my windows except for the rear one with the other wiper. *** the stuff also seems to combat fogging on those dreary days too which is a huge plus IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Traction
I've found the trick to applying Rain x is wipe it on, and use a spray bottle, mist a little water on it. Wipe it with a mf towel and no steaks. Works great.

Yep. Wetting it for the final "rub down" is the key.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
If you just use rainx windshield washer fluid, it keeps the windshield ok, no applying necessary.

This has been my experience also. Rainx is nice on summer trips on the hwy when heavy rainfall comes down. Clay the windshield wipe dry, apply rainx and use rainx washer fluid and it will work great. Like others I don't think wax will last long enough.

We used Rain Dance wax back in '75-76 at gas station I worked at. It was the bomb back then. I let Rain-X dry to a haze before buffing off with micro-fiber cloth, no problems.

I prefer carnauba wax on my windshield. Though, I generally use Rain-X.

In my experience ...
- Wax has bigger "bubbles" of water and that eliminates the blinding light bubbles that people have complained of with Rain-X
- Wipers do NOT chatter with carnauba wax
- Rain-X Lasts much longer
- Rain-X does not wash away when you use the washer fluid. Being mostly alcohol, the windshield washer fluid makes the wax go away pretty quickly.

I use Turtle Wax, you do have to reapply, but when I tried rain-x I had to redo it as well. A $4 can of wax goes a long way from the cars finish to headlights and glass. Been doing it that way for years.

I have used both Wax and Rain-x. I find if I clay my windshield then apply Rain-x it prevents some of the past issues I have had with Rain-x and my wipers.

I use Optimum Opti-glass on windshields. I have a ton of it on hand. It works a bit better than Rain-X at high speeds, but not as good at low speeds. Durability is 6-12 mo if you minimize the use of wipers.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

Follow the directions to a "T". Raise wipers so the solution doesn't get directly on the rubber. As mentioned using a wet paper towel immediately after applying works wonders. I do one side at a time and don't let it dry. Don't apply in sun either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back