Oil for a 2014 Honda Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got the wifey a 2014 Pilot which uses 0w-20. When we bought it, we got a lifetime power-train warranty.

Still got factory fill but Im doing my research ahead of time. The Napa syn is on sale for $3.49/qt but Ive heard some people complain about shear and a slightly low add pack. On top of that, the maintenance minders can go a long long way before they tell you its time to change the oil. One guy at the dealer said he has seen 20k oci by the mm. not sure if i believe that but still.

would this be a good oil for the recommended honda oci or should i go with another syn like quakerstate.

Im not really interested in spending top dollar for the more high end oil.

PP, M1 AFE, VSP are all good OTC 0w20's. I would recommend TGMO 0w20 though, it is readily available at Toyota dealers and it is priced well. I use it in my Accord and get 5 quarts for under $30. Not sure if you know what TGMO is...if you do great! If not, then here you go..Its Toyotas own synthetic, manufactured by Exxon Mobil. It is one of the lightest (if not the lightest) 0w20 on start up, and it has a great add pack.

Wow just noticed you have a 250K Honda Fit.

Is the Fit holding up well? No trans issues or anything?

I'd recommend Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 to honor the Warranty on the new Pilot.

A good synthetic 0W-20!
lol.gif

All kidding aside. Assume VCM. Assume sludge. Any of the oils mentioned, I would still go into change mode at 20%.

Personally I would use Amsoil OE 0W-20 and pocket the savings.

the Fit runs like the day I got it. Its probably the best buy Ive ever made. love that car. The last oil change I put half a can of mos2 to see if we could increase fuel efficiency any. Currently getting approx 31mi/gal. Used it in my transit and noticed 1-1.5 mi/gal increase.

We used M1 or PP up until around 200K. But I had started using Trop artic in my transit and using the eyeball test, the oil looked fantastic so we just started using that in the honda as well. Still no leaky gaskets or anything else. No tranny issues although we had someone replace the clutch and I don't think they got the flywheel resurfaced like they said they did so the clutch is a little funky. Other than that..bulletproof

Warranty just requires that i keep documentation of the oil changes and use the API certified oil in the correct grade, whatever the manual states. Not sure if it mentions GF-5 or not but I wouldn't use older GF anyway. I need to follow the maintenance minder unless i use something like M1 extended then I would need to make sure I keep track of mileage between oci.

I can also do the changes myself, which I do on my other vehicles, just keep receipts etc and document in the owners manual.

Thats why I was thinking about the napa syn, it meets spec and its cheap syn. I still wouldn't want a rough running car that they won't fix because its still running lol.

Considering I didn't see one person stick up for napa, I think ill go with a sopus or M1.

I would totally use the trop artic if I could get 0w-20 at orscheln's for $1.99/qt like the 5w-20 and 5w-30 i get.

my neighbor has a 2013... He has has alignment issues at 5000 miles the rear wheels looked bowed out.. How do yours look? Nice vehicle... Not too sure about that lifetime warranty though..

Originally Posted By: dave123
M1EP 0w20 All day every day at WM $5.00qt

Agreed. M1 EP 0W20 $25 5-qt jug at Walmart is a better buy with OLM downs to 0%.

Originally Posted By: lockguy
Warranty just requires that i keep documentation of the oil changes and use the API certified oil in the correct grade, whatever the manual states. Not sure if it mentions GF-5 or not but I wouldn't use older GF anyway. I need to follow the maintenance minder unless i use something like M1 extended then I would need to make sure I keep track of mileage between oci.

I can also do the changes myself, which I do on my other vehicles, just keep receipts etc and document in the owners manual.

Thats why I was thinking about the napa syn, it meets spec and its cheap syn. I still wouldn't want a rough running car that they won't fix because its still running lol.

Considering I didn't see one person stick up for napa, I think ill go with a sopus or M1.

That sounds like a good lifetime warranty then. Most of them are not worth the paper they are on because they require all maintenance at the dealer.

we got the EX-L, really slick inside, all leather. msrp was around $38,500, we got it for $31,500. two dealers in our area, i just went back and forth between the two telling what the other offered. I did it until one gave up. the best offer also had the warranty.

Alignment looks fine but we only have 800 miles on it now. I wonder if he did something to cause that?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: dave123
M1EP 0w20 All day every day at WM $5.00qt

Agreed. M1 EP 0W20 $25 5-qt jug at Walmart is a better buy with OLM downs to 0%.

that does sound like a good plan. I checked the MM today, its at 90% so im thinking oci will be around 8-9K.

Ive been using bosch premium filters with the filtech media on my Fit and her CR-V that we sold, I think that might be a good combo with the M1EP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back