NOACK and dipstick correlation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Is their a direct correlation between the two? In other words, if you notice oil loss/lower than max level on the dipstick, should you look for a lower NOACK oil (as one of many posible solutions)? Conversely, if your dipstick never shows lower levels, you're good?

Last edited:
For newer vehicles, use of a higher quality synthetic oil tends to already have a lower NOACK and there's not much to worry about. Even newer engines use a little oil over time and this is normal.

Just check your fluids twice a month to get a handle on IF they need topping off. IF things are consistently OK, then a monthly check of their levels is fine.

In the long-run, maintenance with higher quality fluids and filters is more important than getting caught-up in the nitty gritty details (which can be fun to at least know about on occasion).

In my opinion, if you are losing oil as seen on your dipstick, its either burning off or leaking. The NOACK is tested in high temperatures, so in all reality you will lose very little oil as a result of it evaporating due to a high NOACK.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
In my opinion, if you are losing oil as seen on your dipstick, its either burning off or leaking. The NOACK is tested in high temperatures, so in all reality you will lose very little oil as a result of it evaporating due to a high NOACK.

+1

NOACK is apart of the equation for oil loss, as it is the evaporation of the oil. However, burning oil or leaks in the seal are often more likely the reason for oil loss.

Ok thanks all. Just checking as a family member with a 2000 Honda Odyssey (100k miles) is having to put 2qts every 7500 miles. No leaks. MaxLife or GTX HM is the next step.

Last edited:
I add one qt every thousand miles, like clock work. Vehicle is a 2009 Chrysler T&C. They are known for oil usage. Hence, i will be doing 10k OCI's since i add so much oil. Currently using Mobil 1. Next change will be with old stock Pennz Ultra with lower NOACK to see if things improve. I will post here, but that will be a while!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: gregk24

+1

+2

your question is a matter of volatility with oil leaving via the ventilation system vs slipping past the rings, valve seals, turbo seal etc.

You can't blame all oil loss on volatilization with so many other common modes of consumption to consider.

NOACK is designed to simulate the presence of oil in the piston ring belt, and the film on the cylinder wall exposed to combustion heat, which is a single source of oil consumption, amongst valve guide, genuine oil flow past rings, and of course leaks.

As such, it's not a dipstick correlation.

It's purpose is with regards to phosphourous volatility and cat life, not bulk oil boil-off...

More factors in oil use than NOACK.

Viscosity is probably a greater consideration.

Oil getting by the rings or slipping through valve guides is going to be worsened with thinner oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back