Akebono brake pads went on the Audi today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two weeks ago, I purchased a Certified Pre-Owned 2010 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro with 27,000 miles on it. I absolutely love this car, but after driving it for two days the front wheels were almost totally black from brake dust and the rears were almost as bad. I like to keep my cars clean, but I'm not going out there every other day and spend an hour cleaning the wheels. So I ordered Akebono ceramic pads for all four wheels and had the dealership install them this morning. Hopefully, once all the residual dust from the OEM pads works it way out, I won't have any more problems with brake dust.

Yup, Akebono pads sure keep the wheels clean. I have them on my CRV and the wheels are almost spotless compared to the OEM and all aftermarket pads I tried.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Two weeks ago, I purchased a Certified Pre-Owned 2010 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro with 27,000 miles on it.

What happened to the 300? What did I miss?

Quote:
but after driving it for two days the front wheels were almost totally black from brake dust and the rears were almost as bad.

Had the same problem with my BMW (and previously Audi as well). I also installed the Akebonos after the OEM pads wore out. Brake dust was reduced greatly, but IMO the Akebonos don't brake as well as OEM pads. Not too bad though.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Two weeks ago, I purchased a Certified Pre-Owned 2010 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro with 27,000 miles on it.

Here it is, if you want it.

I basically got tired of it. At first I loved the 3.6 with the 8-speed, but I came to believe that this engine would be better served with a 6-speed. I spent a few days looking, first at BMW 1-series and 3-series, but once I drove the Audi that was it.

God no, but thanks.
smile.gif

I think I've got about a grant total of 150k+ miles on Akebono ceramics on several vehicles. Very pleased with them over the long haul.

^thats good feedback but looking for the review on this one... Low dust can mean less bite. I like a good linear feel, but some strong initial bite. Ive driven on FF and GG pads that don't bite well at first, and Ive driven on lesser pads that stay clean but feel really grippy from the start.

Looking forward to hearing how these work out.

I put the Akebono ProACT's on my wifes '01 Lexus for the first pad replacement with BREMBO Rotors. This was probably the finest brake setup I have ever had...Smooth/quiet(luxurious) and dust free!

Though I am currently running Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic w/ Wagner Rotors(a nice setup as well), the Akebono's were a nice experience and I'll use'em again some day.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
^thats good feedback but looking for the review on this one... Low dust can mean less bite. I like a good linear feel, but some strong initial bite. Ive driven on FF and GG pads that don't bite well at first, and Ive driven on lesser pads that stay clean but feel really grippy from the start.

My initial impression is that these pads have the same feel as the OEM pads--good initial bite at speed, but without the annoying hard bite of the OEMs at very slow speed as you're rolling to a stop, which made modulating to a smooth stop next to impossible.

My initial impression is that these pads have the same feel as the OEM pads--good initial bite at speed, but without the annoying hard bite of the OEMs at very slow speed as you're rolling to a stop, which made modulating to a smooth stop next to impossible.

I said the same thing about the Akebono Euros that I put on my '03 when the OE pads the dealer put on for CPO wore out. Those OE pads would snap passenger's necks when getting below 10 mph if I wasn't paying attention.

Ceramic pads are terrible in my experience. They always suffer from brake fade and seem to glaze up rotors when you work the brakes in hot weather.

Went back to OEM (semi - metallics) and no more issues. Surprisingly, i have even less brake dust than with ceramics.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I basically got tired of it. At first I loved the 3.6 with the 8-speed, but I came to believe that this engine would be better served with a 6-speed. I spent a few days looking, first at BMW 1-series and 3-series, but once I drove the Audi that was it.

Clean carfax despite the paint work. One more reason why I do not trust CarFax.

With that said, the Akebono pads will certainly address your dust issues. However, they definitely do not provide the same factory brake "feel" that most European car drivers are accustomed to.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Clean carfax despite the paint work. One more reason why I do not trust CarFax.

With that said, the Akebono pads will certainly address your dust issues. However, they definitely do not provide the same factory brake "feel" that most European car drivers are accustomed to.

I was surprised not to see the hail damage reported. But, Carfax can only list what is reported to them and clearly the body shop I used does not report to Carfax. As I pointed out at the time, however, the repair work was so expertly done that you cannot tell there was ever any damage.

As for the ceramic brake pads, so far the only difference I'm seeing (feeling) is the lack of that hard bite at low speed that the OEM pads had. Brake feel otherwise is the same.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I put them on the front of the wife's G6 last year. I like them, clean & linear but not a lot of initial bite. In fact when I don't drive it for a while it sometimes gives me a little shock at that first stop. This of course wouldn't be an issue if I drove it all the time. I will use them again for sure.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
Ceramic pads are terrible in my experience. They always suffer from brake fade and seem to glaze up rotors when you work the brakes in hot weather.

Went back to OEM (semi - metallics) and no more issues. Surprisingly, i have even less brake dust than with ceramics.

Not an uncommon comment IMO. I have had several folks with a car like mine who went low dust ceramic and were almost scared by the initial bite in cold/wet weather.

You are extremely unlikely to get high performance braking out of any low dust formula. But brake pads are like ice cream, there are over a million flavors...

I have Akebono street pads on my max. Excellent bite and no fading. You want ceramic pads get ones that are GG rated. If your vehicle calls for semi metallic pads than that is what you use only.

Update: Now that these pads have bedded in, they are showing all the same bite characteristics of the OEM pads, including the low speed bite. And so far, absolutely zero dust.
banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back