[Hack saw Open] Purolator L14459

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG,
It's my 1st post here so please be gentle on me...

Lately, I noticed some Purolator filter cut open does not look so good and other seems perfectly fine. I was wondering if certain model # are more prone to media tearing. Since I could not find any cut open for the P/L14459 so I cut mine up and share it with others.

This is from a 153,834 miles 1999 Acura TL that been fed with "what ever is on sale" oil at 5K miles OCI. This is also the 1st(most likely the last) time I use Purolator oil filter in this car. The filter and (Maxlife HM) oil was use about 3,800 miles 50/50 city/hwy.

The pictures pretty much speak for themselves.
123925718@N06

It's little over 3,800 miles. I usually change oil every 5K so its easy to remember.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures. I took them soon after it was off the car. The filter has dried off and I can clearly see 4 tears total, two on each side.

ouch.

Thankfully I've yet to personally see this on the pure ones, but from here on out I plan on cutting open every one I remove from my car.

Nice choice with the TG plus Maxlife. You won't likely find any of the Purolator's issues when you cut that open, although the can is a little harder to cut than a classic.

Happened to be at Walmart just now. Just looked at 5 of these filters, L14459. All had date code F03F17D3. 4 of the 5 had the suspect defect (improper pleat configuration adjacent to seam), visually apparent through the center tube perforations. The fifth one had suggestion of the problem, but couldn't get a clear view. I do not know how to read the date code.

Edit: These are March 17 2014 production out of Fayetteville, NC. Date code interpretation:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2352090

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SirPete
Hello BITOG,
It's my 1st post here so please be gentle on me...

Lately, I noticed some Purolator filter cut open does not look so good and other seems perfectly fine. I was wondering if certain model # are more prone to media tearing. Since I could not find any cut open for the P/L14459 so I cut mine up and share it with others.

Reported way back in May 2011. The 14459 has the medal crimped seam, which seems to be a recurring theme on ones with media tears.
L14459 With Media Tear

Originally Posted By: jeffie7
ouch.

Thankfully I've yet to personally see this on the pure ones, but from here on out I plan on cutting open every one I remove from my car.

Standard procedure for me ... every filter I use gets cut open for inspection. Two reasons, to see if there is anything abnormal caught in the filter to judge engine health, and to also see how the filter held up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back