Broke trans dipstick tube! What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tube that holds the trans dipstick on my 1997 Chevy 1500 is way loose! It moves around freely, and even will pull up with a light pull on it. It almost feels completely detached.

Anyone have insight or ideas about this? What should I do?

If its the same as my 700r4 the base just pushes into a rubber bushing on the trans. The tube has a welded on thin metal tab which bolts to one of the trans to engine mount bolts. The weld on mine broke loose and has been that way for 20 years. Just don't pull up on it.

For your 17 - 18 year old truck, get a new dipstick tube or solder it or use JB Weld to hold it in place.

I'm not sure about your truck, but on some vehicles, the dipstick tube has O-rings where it enters the transmission. Sometimes those O-rings fail, and all you need are a few O-rings to solve the problem.

At places I have worked, AC parts companies would always sell mega packs of o-rings in all sizes, and we always had such a package.

Thank you all for the help. Since the dipstick openly reaches the trans fluid, I imagined the fluid spewing out wherever this broken connection is at. I'll just run by a trans shop and get it fixed when I have the time, since no worries about driving it til then. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back