0w-20 in a 2006 Civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for opinions on whether or not my Civic in my sig would be a good candidate for 0w-20. No consumption/leaks. I know the 2012+ Civics with basically the same engine spec this oil. My only concern is the summer heat that is approaching soon.. mostly 80° days but some extremes of high 90s - low 100s at times. My driving is 75-80% highway and running 70 mph turning 3k rpm. Engine block has 50k miles and the head has 130k miles (block cracked and was replaced under warranty in 2009.) Been wanting to try the Napa synthetic while it's on sale.

Last edited:
I'm sure the 0w20 would do fine if it's spec'd for 5w20.
I would use the 0w20 in the winter.

The 2006 civic is specced to use 0w20. Pour it in and enjoy...
As far as the summer temp described is concerned, don't be.
0w20 will easily handle the engine temp and that is much hotter than the outside environment will get.
My recommendation is for TGMO, MGMO or HGMO GF-4 if you can get it..

Did Honda change the spec on the 2006 Civics? Mine originally called for 5w-20. Forgot to mention that in my original post.

You could certainly use a 0W-20.
The question is why do you want to?
Not sure that you'll see any difference at all from a 5W-20.
I use 0W-20 in our '12 Accord since that's what Honda recommends and only a fool wants to fight the uphill battle over a warranty claim when using a grade other than what's recommended.
Nothing wrong with a 0W-20, but what's wrong with using the 5W-20 originally recommended for your engine?
You must not be all that picky about oil, since it appears that you're currently running a frankenblend.
Any 5W-20 syn would be an upgrade from what you're running now.

What's the difference between a typical 5W-20 and the Napa 0W-20 the OP wants to use? Almost nothing.
The only 0W-20s that would make a possible noticeable difference or if you simple want to get the maximum benefit of the 0W-20 grade you'll have to try one of the OEM oils such as TGMO or MGMO 0W-20.

I bought some Napa Syn 0w-20. I appreciate the input. Not really looking for any gains, I had just been wanting to try something different, and my frankenblend that I'm currently running is just leftovers from previous changes in our Hondas except for the lone qt of PP.

I've got the exact same car (2006 EX coupe) and have been running Mobil 1 0w20 in it for the past few years with excellent results! The oil analysis results show low wear and consumption is almost nothing (0.3 qt in 6000 miles for instance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back