Best 20W-50, 3-Hole Oil for Harley V-Twin Tourer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I am a complete neophyte when it comes to evaluating the characteristics of motorcycle oil, so I defer to the experts here for assistance in choosing a suitable motor oil that not only excels in performance and protection, but also is suitable for use in all three (3) holes of my 2011 HD Street Glide.

I'm a conservative, fair weather rider and I only ride from late April through November, in temps averaging 55-95 degrees.

My owner manual recommends a 20W-50 oil and I would prefer motorcycle specific brands. Also, I'd like to be able to achieve 3000-5000 mile OCI's.

So, whaddayathink? Any good options out there?

Thanks, guys.

I'm using rotella conventional 15w-40 in my street bobs engine and primary and shockproof heavy in the tranny
I've got my twin cam built,big bore,head work,cams,propipe,106 big bore and an oil cooler. 107hp/115tq. 100tq at 2300 rpm.

Did you just buy the bike or have you had a Harley for three years and now wondering what kind of oil to put in it?

Most oil makers have a time requirement on the oils over the mileage. Since you have a short riding period I would be draining the oil and filter you've had in it during the summer prior to storing it. Then in Spring fire it up and run it thru the summer and drain again prior to storing.

SYN3, Amsoil, Mobile V Twin, Valvoline, Redline, Schaffers, Rotella...pick your poison.

Last edited:
Well, you definitely want something on the thick end of the 20W50 range and something you can get anywhere and everywhere. Therefore: Amsoil MCV 20W50 or Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50.

Amsoil will ship to your doorstep.

Mobil 1 V-Twin is everywhere retail.

Mobile 1 15-50 in motor every 5k miles
Walmart 20-50 in primary every 5k miles
Mobile 1 70-9- gear lube in transmission every 10k miles

This is in my 04 and 14 Ultra

I bought my FLHX new in June/2011 and have run the HD360 20W-50 dino oil in it from the start. My dealer only carries the HD synth blend and SYN3 oils now, which are pricey for what they are; it's a good time for me to make a switch.

I would recommend Valvoline 20/50 wt for the motor, Rotella 15/40 wt for the primary, and any cheap GL-5 rated gear oil for the trans, Why? Because it will cost less for a years worth of use age. Valvoline mc oil is good stuff, look at the UOA'S. Your primary doesn't need expensive oil to lube the chain and clutch, and while MC oils that say to use them in the trans, only carry a gL-1 rating.Even if you only ride between 2-5k miles a year, this combination will perform their duty of protecting your bike just fine.,,

This discussion of the most appropriate lube for all three holes is getting a bit weird
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FenderGuy53
How about Mobil 1 15W-50 in all three holes?

I don't know about Mobil's recommendations for your application in all 3 holes.

Harley was recommending their Syn3 back in the day but I'm not certain of that any more.
It's possible the Syn3 is not as good as they originally thought it was.

The only company that actually recommends the same oil for all 3 holes like Harley, is Amsoil with their 20w-50 MCV.

For comparison and to add perspective to the concept.
As alternatives, I think Amsoil also say you can run their 75w-110 or 75w-140 gear oil in the transmission, and the 10w-40 MCF motorcycle oil in the primary.

If it was my bike.
With the best level of protection in mind, I would be inclined to run a gear oil in the transmission of a Harley "Big Twin", even though I believe the MCV is a great oil.
The primary would be a lesser consideration for me, and I would ultimately be inclined to see how the shift feel went, as a guide to see what I'd be happiest with in the long run.

Let us know how you go with your decision?

Last edited:

My owner manual recommends a 20W-50 oil and I would prefer motorcycle specific brands. Also, I'd like to be able to achieve 3000-5000 mile OCI's.

Thanks, guys.

I Know you say MC specific oil in all 3 holes, but please reconsider using standard 20w-50 oil in the tranny. Use a good gearbox oil instead, and change every two years. engine and primary are not too picky and can use any othe above posted suggestions for oils. your shifting feel and your tranny will thank you.

It would sure make life easier if there was a good oil for all three "holes" on a Harley Twin Cam. My opinion, there isn't. My opinion that is!

I use Mobile V Twin in the oil tank on my Heritage, 75/90 gear oil in the transmission.....it's a gear box, not an engine with a wet clutch.....and good old Rotella 15/40 in the primary where the wet clutch lives.

Just have to buy three different oils when I change all three.

For your transmission, I would pick a regular multi-grade gear lube. My pick of the litter is Amsoil 75W90 Severe Gear lube but there are many good ones on the market. Gear oils are made to stand up to the shearing action of gears and you can go for longer change intervals.

Red Line Shockproof Heavy in the transmission
Rotella T Triple 15w-40 in the primary
Red Line 20w-50 in the motor (the regular stuff, not motorcycle specific)

Originally Posted By: dr2152
Mobile 1 15-50 in motor every 5k miles
Walmart 20-50 in primary every 5k miles
Mobile 1 70-9- gear lube in transmission every 10k miles

I decided on the same course of action for motor and tranny; I'll be using the Mobil 1 15W-50 in the primary, too. For under $25 for a 5-quart jug, I saw no reason to buy something else.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01

Thanks, guys.

I Know you say MC specific oil in all 3 holes, but please reconsider using standard 20w-50 oil in the tranny. Use a good gearbox oil instead, and change every two years. engine and primary are not too picky and can use any othe above posted suggestions for oils. your shifting feel and your tranny will thank you.

Great point, Propflux01. I got convinced to use something more purpose specific for the tranny, so I'm going with Mobil 1 75W-90 gear lube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back