1978 Ford LTD 351M QSGB 10w-30 2800 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
351M V8 2bbl/auto- 34,700 miles
Fill- QSGB 10w-30
Duration- 2800 miles (1 year)
qts added- 0

"We found a lot of fuel in the previous sample from this LTD, but that cleared up nicely this time; the flashpoint was high enough to show no significant fuel dilution. It's a bit surprising, then, that the viscosity stayed as low as it did in this report, since we thought last time that the fuel dilution was the most likely cause for the lower viscosity. This sample also saw an increase in iron, showing more wear at steel parts, although at least lead (from bearings) didn't go any higher. All in all, no real improvements, but not
that much worse either. Check back next oil."

Aluminum- 6
Chromium- 1
Iron- 78
Copper- 4
Lead- 24
Tin- 2
Molybdenum- 109
Nickel- 0
Manganese- 1
Silver- 0
Titanium- 0
Potassium- 7
Boron- 45
Silicon- 10
Sodium- 10
Calcium- 1979
Magnesium- 13
Phosphorus- 816
Zinc- 880
Barium- 1

SUS visc@ 210F- 53.8
CST visc@ 100C- 8.42
Flashpoint in F- 410
Fuel%- Antifreeze%- 0
Water%- o
Insolubles%-0.2

aside from your wear metals the oil's actual additive package looks pretty good.

How is the car operated?

Thank you for posting, don't see a lot on the oldies
smile.gif

Last edited:
I think Delo 15w40 may be a nice choice for this vehicle. If you would like to stay with a PCMO, step up to a 10w40.

This one's my mother's car and she only drives it about 3 miles to work and back. I've used a 50/50 of leftover QS defy 10w-30 and Service Pro XHD30 for the new fill.

This doesn't look good, but we have nothing to compare it with.
It may be that all old Ford 351s (C,M or W) shed metals like this.
Good to see a post from you, though.
Haven't seen that much of you since the epic Granada thread.

Haha - a 36 year old car with 30k miles and you guys freak over 78ppm iron? Man, at that rate, it may not make it another 36 years and 30k miles. Better switch to some Pure GTL Super Synthetic Hi Tri Nuclear Moly Wonder oil to keep this beast alive! Funny stuff - run a jug of SuperTech 10W-30 (or whatever else you have laying around for the last decade) in it every few years and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
A 20W-50 would do wonders for that Ford. My 1978 Cadillac loved Exxon 20W-50.

With his mom's short trips, 20w-50 would be pointless. The three mile trips are the biggest danger this engine is facing.

Originally Posted By: Garak
With his mom's short trips, 20w-50 would be pointless. The three mile trips are the biggest danger this engine is facing.

That engine needs thicker oil at all temps; from startup all the way to whatever the oil temp is at the end of three miles. If there was a way to get engine assembly lube in there between the lifters and the cam lobes at every startup, that would be ideal. 20W-50 would be an excellent match for that old Detroit iron.

But even a 0w-20 would be thicker in those three miles than a 20w-50 would be at operating temperature.
wink.gif
20w-50 isn't a good match for much of anything, unless something is worn out to high heaven.

20w-50 isn't a good match for much of anything, unless something is worn out to high heaven.

It was an excellent match for my Dad's Cadillac DeVille with the 7.0L V8. The engine ran much smoother and quieter on Superflo 20W-50 than it did on VWB 10W-30. The engine wasn't worn out either, it only had 15K on it after a rebuild. It ran so quiet on 20W-50, all I could hear was the air being sucked into the carburetor and the fan belts going around. Add that sound with a very slight gurgle exhaust note from that beautiful V8 and it was music to my ears. The car would lay a patch of rubber 25ft long on the pavement ... and that was with stock 2:73 gears. I miss that car dearly.

It was an excellent match for my Dad's Cadillac DeVille with the 7.0L V8. The engine ran much smoother and quieter on Superflo 20W-50 than it did on VWB 10W-30. The engine wasn't worn out either, it only had 15K on it after a rebuild. It ran so quiet on 20W-50, all I could hear was the air being sucked into the carburetor and the fan belts going around. Add that sound with a very slight gurgle exhaust note from that beautiful V8 and it was music to my ears. The car would lay a patch of rubber 25ft long on the pavement ... and that was with stock 2:73 gears. I miss that car dearly.

Pretty much all your advice includes "sounded better or ran smoother". No real data. Running a 20w50 will not make a a difference in a old car that is driven 3 miles. Fuel dilution from a carburetor is more prone to do the same thing to any oil that is ran. Any oil changed at 3k miles intervals would look pretty much the same. The key with this motor is run whatever you have laying around but change it often.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This doesn't look good, but we have nothing to compare it with.
It may be that all old Ford 351s (C,M or W) shed metals like this.
Good to see a post from you, though.
Haven't seen that much of you since the epic Granada thread.

yep, I'm still around. Haven't posted much as driving the Caddy and my new shorter commute isn't very exciting. I'll be doing one more UOA on the caddy as I'll be sticking with 5-6k OCI's on that one until it's dead or not worth running. I'll also add an upcoming treat: a UOA on my backup driver: 63 Chrysler. It's had the Family dollar 10w-40 I used for cleaning in for a year now.
As for this LTD, I'm slowly scaling up the oil grades until I find something it won't kill, but still able to start in winter. Cold starts are a factor on this car.

It was an excellent match for my Dad's Cadillac DeVille with the 7.0L V8. The engine ran much smoother and quieter on Superflo 20W-50 than it did on VWB 10W-30.

Unfortunately for the smoothness/sound tests, there are no sound or smoothness benchmarks in any API, ILSAC, ACEA, or manufacturers' specifications.
wink.gif

A 10W-40 might hold up a little better and would still allow for relatively easy winter starts.
I used that grade in a variety of engines back in the day and never had problems with winter starts.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
A 10W-40 might hold up a little better and would still allow for relatively easy winter starts.
I used that grade in a variety of engines back in the day and never had problems with winter starts.

That may be next. This fill was 2 leftover qts of 10w-30 Defy, and the rest was my free XHD30. I also had to fill the car before results could come back. I'd thought about T5 for this one, but would it be a waste with no miles getting put on it really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back