restored lawn boy 2 cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always liked the odd look of these mowers. I remember what a pain it was to put them on the display rack at the farm and home store I worked at back in 2001. The rack wasn't meant to fit that style but we never dropped one.

I was looking at Craig's list earlier and saw a unused one with the aluminum deck for 850. It was a newer style mower but wow.

Originally Posted By: UncleLee
Just checked ebay...the current bid on the 77 Is at $310 reserve not met

Wow it has gone to $410!!

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Just checked ebay...the current bid on the 77 Is at $310 reserve not met

Wow it has gone to $410!!

Don't forget the $85 in shipping!

The F-Series is a 4hp engine. The D-Series is a 3.5hp engine. But, 2-cycle engines in this size range are torquier than 4-cycle engines and will actually perform like a 4-cycle with a higher hp rating. The F-Series engine is far superior to the D-Series engine in a number of ways.

Thanks for the breakdown. I actually just bought a 6.5 duraforce lawnboy , its not self propelled but i don't need that. The deck is steel. The only thing i see i need is the mulch plate. Do all the mulch plates interchange? I see several on ebay, just not sure which to buy.

The mulch plate for the duraforce says easy mulch on it...but most will fit I think...well exept for the magnesium ones.
And not to be rude but to those that doubt the value of a lawnboy. ..they are worth what someone will pay. And in the case of the 77 bricktop on ebay....the numbers don't lie. Right now it is worth $450. Maybe it is time for you to start selling....;-)

Last edited:
Winning bid $501

I'm blown away by what the final price was, given it was a nice looking mower. I had no idea they went for that. But do you think he had more in it restoring it to that level?

Wow, should have kept my old Lawn Boy 2 cycle and sold it on Ebay.

I think I let it go for $75 15 years ago.

A big yard with healthy grass and a Lawn Boy 2 cycle will work you.

Riders are where it's at.

Now a Forrest Gump rear engine Snapper....I'd bid that up.

i bought a good used 7024 lawn boy a couple years ago for only 50 bucks i just use sometimes lawn boy oil or outboard oil in it. it runs great.

Who knew?

I may need to list my later model 2 stroke mystery (unknown year or model) Lawnboy on flea bay and coast to an early retirement.
cheers3.gif

016-L.jpg

What was the reasoning behind the odd ball wheel configuration on those things and what's the vestigial wheel up front for?

The off set wheel configuration is to prevent scalping when you come out of a ditch for example. The wheel set closer to the center prevents the deck from bottoming out,It also allows for mowing close to walls and fences. The custom front wheel on the duraforce above is one I can't answer...;-)

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Winning bid $501

I'm blown away by what the final price was, given it was a nice looking mower. I had no idea they went for that. But do you think he had more in it restoring it to that level?

Hard to say, if he is like me and has to buy most parts he could easily have that in it.
If he has or had an association with a lawnboy dealer and has access to new old stock parts, he could have done it cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
What was the reasoning behind the odd ball wheel configuration on those things and what's the vestigial wheel up front for?

The fifth wheel up front is to prevent the right front from nose-diving into a root or depression in the ground. The staggered-wheel design is one that prevents scalping of the grass and allows a remarkably flat cut on uneven ground, but there are drawbacks as well. That right front is like a big scoop...if you have the mower set low (as many southern grasses prefer), it's not hard to "dig" that right front into the ground, especially if it's not self-propelled, as that mower in the picture appears not to be. When you push on the handle, the front of the mower will naturally want to lean down.

This isn't really a problem on self-propelled mowers. Pull the bail and the rear wheels spin and weight is actually lifted OFF the front. But when pushing, that front wants to dig in. It's also not really a problem with the alloy decks. Compared to the alloy decks, the steel decks flex a lot. I own two of both and won't buy any more steel deck ones.

Same concept as the deck wheels on a riding mower. I actually like that guy's idea (the fifth wheel).

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
I may need to list my later model 2 stroke mystery (unknown year or model) Lawnboy on flea bay and coast to an early retirement.

It has the white decal on the back of the deck. Post (or PM me) the model number (large 5-digit number) and first few digits of the serial number and I can tell you the model year and series of the mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back