Pennzoil Platinum 8150 miles Cruze 1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the results from my 2013 Cruze. TBN didn't hold up very well but everything else looks OK to me. What do you think? OLM at -0 by about 800 miles.

Miles on vehicle 26500
Miles on Oil 8150

ALUMINUM 15
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 15
COPPER 1
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 55
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 15
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 14
BORON 18
SILICON 10
SODIUM 6
CALCIUM 2322
MAGNESIUM 19
PHOSPHORUS 659
ZINC 798
BARIUM 18
WATER 0
Viscosity 10.6
TBN 1.7

MuzzleFlash40,

The 1.4L Turbo engine is port injected, although it is interesting that there was a positive reading for manganese which is usually only seen in DI engines.

And for MY2013 GM reduced the OLM interval.

And mattwithcats,

This UOA looks fine. Wear looks good, viscosity is excellent, TBN of 1.7 is good, using the Blackstone standard. With the revised OLM calibration, you can run it down to 0% (OP ran his 800 miles past 0%). Just use a good synthetic.
I have a ~7650 mile QSUD UOA I'm waiting for results from Blackstone which I anticipate will be fine also.

Take care,
Gary

Change it at 7500 miles next time. Based on previous UOA's I've done on my 1.4T Cruze, 7500-8000 miles seems to be when to change the oil in these cars.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
You better off using castrol gtx syn blend with those results PP ain't cutting it in that little 1.4 motor

Looks like it is doing just fine to me.

I wouldn't take the OLM to 0% on the 1.4 Turbo. I wouldn't even go past 20-25% with those little turbos whining like they do.

Looks excellent to me. The aluminum should trend downward as the engine breaks in. The engine had only 18k on it when that oil went in. Almost no copper corrosion as the tbn is still good. Viscosity looks good (assuming it was 30 grade oil).

Don't see anything wrong with it.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Change it at 7500 miles next time. Based on previous UOA's I've done on my 1.4T Cruze, 7500-8000 miles seems to be when to change the oil in these cars.

I agree, going to stick with around 7k from now on.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
What weight of Pennzoil Platinum did you use?

5W30

Al is way, way too high for my liking. Under 5 ppm is ballpark...high Al means severe piston wear or 'piston scuffing'. I'd shorten the OCI for sure.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Was this the old formula PP or the new formula made from natural gas?

Don't know for sure but I suspect it was the new formula. It was purchased in the fall of 13, they started bottling the new formula back last year at some point far before the advertizing started and the bottle changed.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Al is way, way too high for my liking. Under 5 ppm is ballpark...high Al means severe piston wear or 'piston scuffing'. I'd shorten the OCI for sure.

TYPO! Aluminum was 11, not 15....

mwball0,

I'm answering your comment to my Cruze's UOA back in your thread.
wink.gif

If you're going to go by your OLM next time (if I read your comments correctly, you were 800 miles past 0%, roughly +10%), then QSUD will probably have a similar end of OCI TBN of 1.7.

If you run another slightly extended OCI in your colder climate, I would stay with PP. It has about 200ppm more Calcium. QSUD would probably end up with a 1.4 TBN in an extended run which may be lower than you're comfortable with.

I am curious (and somewhat skeptical) about your 15 value for manganese. Usually only see readings of 0 or 1 in a port injected engine.

Did you do a lot of cold weather idling during warmup? I know you had a brutal, old-fashioned winter back there.

I wouldn't change oils yet.

Gary

Originally Posted By: Tucson Five-O
mwball0,

wink.gif

If you're going to go by your OLM next time (if I read your comments correctly, you were 800 miles past 0%, roughly +10%), then QSUD will probably have a similar end of OCI TBN of 1.7.

If you run another slightly extended OCI in your colder climate, I would stay with PP. It has about 200ppm more Calcium. QSUD would probably end up with a 1.4 TBN in an extended run which may be lower than you're comfortable with.

I am curious (and somewhat skeptical) about your 15 value for manganese. Usually only see readings of 0 or 1 in a port injected engine.

Did you do a lot of cold weather idling during warmup? I know you had a brutal, old-fashioned winter back there.

Gary

Yes we had a terrible winter hear but I really didn't do to much cold weather idling. I park in a heated garage overnight and don't waste gas worming up the car after work.Not sure about the manganese myself. I normally would not run past the OLM, I had about 10% left on it last month when we were going on a trip to Va Beach. Thought I would push it a little and wait till I got back to change the oil.

Thanks for the input!

Originally Posted By: mwball0
Originally Posted By: Tucson Five-O
mwball0,

wink.gif

Gary

Yes we had a terrible winter hear but I really didn't do to much cold weather idling. I park in a heated garage overnight and don't waste gas worming up the car after work.Not sure about the manganese myself. I normally would not run past the OLM, I had about 10% left on it last month when we were going on a trip to Va Beach. Thought I would push it a little and wait till I got back to change the oil.

Thanks for the input!

Actually I must have really been distracted when entering the data! Your question prompted me to go back and take a second look at my test results. Manganese is not even listed on it so I don't know how I transposed 15 onto the template.

Sorry about that....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back