Oil for Engine Driven Welder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

We run Kohler Commander engines, air cooled. The recommended interval is 100 hours for oil and 150 for Oil Filter.

We have been running Mobil 1, Full Synthetic 10W-30 and just putting the interval at 150 for each.

Do you think this is ok?

Thank you.

I had a Miller Bobcat and we used Rotella SAE30 in SoCal. M1 is fine but I would use the HM version. The HM is A3/B3 and much heavier with an HTHS of 3.5 as opposed to the 3.0 of what you are currently using. The HM also has more Z and Ph. As a total package, go with the HM if M1 is cheap and easy to get.

Having said all of that, T5/T6, SAE30/40 HDEO will work just fine.

I tend to run Rotella T6 (5w40 synthetic) in all my OPE. No complaints, the last one I had to open up (non oil-related problem) was absolutely spotless inside. Bore and bearings all looked great. Most OPE now seems to call for an Xw30, but I've never had a problem going to T6 even though its an Xw40- cold starts (relatively speaking- we don't have much below 20F nights here, and only a few times a year) are not an issue thus far. And it makes me feel a little more secure on the 100+ F summer days.

For gas powered welders like yours M1 10-30 is a good choice. I use this oil in all my OPE including my 5KW gen.

I'd run Rotella T6. The 5W40 will give you the cold start pumpability but will have a thicker oil film on the higher end. Portable engines typically don't have the tightest tolerances and wear pretty weirdly sometimes. The 40wt is just 1 step higher, but can greatly increase the oil wedge's load holding capacity.

Plus - it's hard to beat the bang for buck value fo Rotella T6.

We ran Kendall Super-D III in our Lincoln Ranger 9s for a very long time. When I was operating in Yuma and Kendall was not reasonably available, I put in an alternative, high-quality 15W40 all-fleet oil. Those Ranger 9s never smoked or had any troubles at all, despite having tough lives on the farms.

Two onan powered units. They get 15w-40, 20w-50, and 10w-40 is usede usually.
The older one uses a little oil from one cylinder. It holds 4+QTS.
The newer on gets hdeo and a fl-1a.
Both have a million hours. Former commercial now are rental units.

If your using m1, I would stay with it. I would opt for the hm formula. Higher a/w and etc. Also a 5w-xx would be better for cold weather, frequent starts, and ect.

The 24hp Kohler 7000series on cud zero turn has 35hrs. Kohler 10w-30 to be dumped for m1 truck and SUV 5w-30 and call it broke in. It will see syn oil only.

Harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back