Airing up tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys recommend for airing up tires? The cigarette lighter compressors are way to slow for me. I've borrowed my neighbors 3 gallon compressor which worked well. I just don't want to spend +100$ and have such a large unit just for airing up tires. Any suggestions on something
Thanks

I like the Slime Comp03 inflator, has a light and moderately fast inflator.
$15, sounds loud and shakes terribly, but it works.

http://www.slime.com/shop/comp03/

If your running nitrogen, another alternative is an air tank.
Fill it up to 90 PSI at a dealer, fill tires at home.
I added a quick disconnect kit and 25 foot hose, total cost was less than $30....

Last edited:
I read that a compressor compared to an inflator will give you much drier air.

I got the $40 one from Harbor Freight and added an inline filter.

It has come in useful for cleaning around spark plugs, cleaning compounding pads during a detail, dusting laptop keyboards.

Something like this guy with a big pump and small tank would weigh slightly less and still pump up your tires in a hurry. 2 hp is about all you'll get from a wall outlet.

image_21636.jpg

Hand pump! With a built in gauge. By the time you dig out the compressor, plug it in, you can add a few psi to each of your yaris tires as you check the pressure. Also 10 pumps adds a few psi. You're ford might take 20 depending on your tire size, or maybe none if the pressure hasn't dropped.

Get a portable tank like This

I have a 9-gallon one that I've used for racing that's probably 20 years old by now. Befriend the local shop and fill it up and you'll be set for months.

Originally Posted By: Sam2000
I read that a compressor compared to an inflator will give you much drier air.

Blowing down the compressor-fed tank of moisture is the difference; otherwise, they're both compressing air similarly.

Ranger-I have a 120v Campbell similar to the Sears unit you are looking at-had it for many years and not too large/heavy to deal with. Most of the cheaper 12v units I've had around overheat or otherwise don't last long-good luck. Dan Mpls. Mn.

The problem with 12 volt plug in compressors is the lack of moisture removal. Because it was convenient, I used one for car in storage which got pumped up a 2 - 3 times each year. When I finally replaced the tires they had aprox a pint of water in each one.

I bought this for $25 and it is EXCELLENT!

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-100-psi-high-volume-air-compressor-69284-8788.html

5 minutes to inflate a 205/60-16 tire from 5PSI to 44PSI.

Only complaint is no instructions on how to lube it. Just buy a quart of ND 30 and drop a few drops in every 15-20 uses. Some reviews complain about the gauge not working - if you oil it too much, the gauge will stop working until the oil works its way out.

I'll be giving it a real workout this summer during offroading season with reinflating Jeep tires.

If I'm at home (apartment) and have to do more than one tire, I have a small 1.5 (I believe) gallon compressor that I plug into the power inverter and either run off of the engine or a spare car battery. Works better for doing multiple tires.

I had the 40$ HF hotdog compressor
it worked fine.. but I had an opportunity to upgrade to a 3-4x faster campbell hausfeld for 79$-40(sold old one) = 40$

I also use mine on registers commercially so a faster one is a plus... although its much louder.

The hf small tank one works well, is nice for dusting out computers and around spark plug, and inflating tires.

If you let it get up a full tank before starting no issues with speed.

something like
http://www.harborfreight.com/13-horsepower-3-gal-100-psi-oilless-air-compressor-69269-8665.html

is around 45$ with their frequent 25% off coupons. And a good deal at that price range. If you want to spend more.. there is better stuff out there.
Its extremely portable which is a big +

if yo prefer the round tank they have those too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-95275.html

both are a deal in the 40$ range I wouldn't personally pay more than 50$ for them.

Final note: these are both 100psi compressors.
if you need to inflate to 60-80psi frequently..
spend more and get a 150psi compressor.

Also make sure you do the no load break-in.

Last edited:
I bought a couple HDX 12-Volt Inflator with Warning Light from Home Depot for $3 each few weeks ago. It inflates 4-5 PSI for tire size 215/55-16 fairly fast, less than 2-3 minutes per tire.

Before, when I need to add 5-6 PSI or less to my tires I used bicycle pump. Larger tire needs 15-20 pumps for each PSI. If all 4 tires needs 5-6 PSI I had to pump more than 300 times, that was a pretty good arm workout.

Look for this pump at your local Home Depot, if it doesn't work as you expect then you lost $3 (plus gas to drive to HD and back).
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203416549?s...amp;R=203416549

Wow, I didn't expect this many responses. I'll look a bit further into all of them. What's the deal with water from some pumps? This is the first I've heard of this. How do I eliminate water from getting into the tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back