170k Miles - Change Fluid & Filter or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently realized that I don't think I've ever changed the A/T fluid and filter on my '03 Alero. Perhaps I did some time ago, but didn't keep good enough of records to say for sure. Now it has 170k miles on it, and I'm going over a few maintenance items to make sure it lasts.

My question is, do I change the fluid and filter at this point, or am I better leaving it be? It has been my experience that when A/T fluid and filter is changed for the first time on a high mileage car, it quickly results in transmission failure. Thus, one of my cardinal rules for car maintenance is, first change A/T fluid regularly. (I know, I broke this one.) Second, if rule # 1 is not kept, leave it be. Don't change the fluid & filter.

But in this case I just feel like I need to get in there and change it. I read the Owner's Manual, and it says that for normal use, the A/T fluid and filter should never be changed. This just doesn't seem right. So, I thought I would ask here. What is the opinion? Do I change it? Or am I messing with a good thing? The tranny does run well. No slippage. No hard shifts.

How is the transmission holding up?

If it shifts good, no problems, then it is perfectly OK to change the transmission fluid.

The only time you don't want to change it is if your transmission is already jerking or slipping or is otherwise on its way out.

Last fall I found a clean 03 Alero 2.2 for my daughter. It had 177k on it. No record of trans service so I gave her a heavy once over. The trans fluid was pretty dark but was not burnt. Shifting into OD/lockup was slow and kind of iffy at times. I did filter and Supertech Dexron. Added lubegard red and things are much happier in the old girl now. Kind of an odd trans level setting technique for these units. To me anyway, I am rather partial to a DIP STICK....but no, not here

The common wisdom is that you can't hurt a healthy tranny by giving it a proper service.
If I were you, I'd go ahead and do it.
You'll find the quantity of debris in the pan amazing.
What spec fluid does this A/T call for?
Maxlife ATF might be a good choice.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. The tranny does seem to work well, so I think I'll go for it.

Originally Posted By: ddtmoto
Last fall I found a clean 03 Alero 2.2 for my daughter. It had 177k on it. No record of trans service so I gave her a heavy once over. The trans fluid was pretty dark but was not burnt. Shifting into OD/lockup was slow and kind of iffy at times. I did filter and Supertech Dexron. Added lubegard red and things are much happier in the old girl now. Kind of an odd trans level setting technique for these units. To me anyway, I am rather partial to a DIP STICK....but no, not here

ddtmoto,

Do you recall how many quarts of fluid it took for your Alero? From what I can gather, it appears the 3.4 in my Alero uses the same tranny as the 2.2 in the Alero you gave to your daughter.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The common wisdom is that you can't hurt a healthy tranny by giving it a proper service.

It calls for DOT3. If I can find it, I was leaning towards putting in the Mobil1 Synthetic ATF. But I'm having a hard time finding it online, at least, at the common auto parts sources in my area. Is the Maxlife ATF Dexron3 compliant?

I might go with a mineral based fluid like Supertech high mileage and work it in there so you don't load the filter too fast if it's varnished. Maxlife and Dexron 6 are great fluids but they also clean extremely well and could clean too fast.

That being said I did the ffirst At service on my Buick at 90k with Supertech dex 6 and it seems to still be doing fine 10k later.

I did 3 drain and fills through the dipstick tube and am going to change the filter soon.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

It calls for DOT3. If I can find it, I was leaning towards putting in the Mobil1 Synthetic ATF. But I'm having a hard time finding it online, at least, at the common auto parts sources in my area. Is the Maxlife ATF Dexron3 compliant?

You mean Dex III ?? DOT 3 is brake fluid. And another vote for Maxlife.

Originally Posted By: bourne

You mean Dex III ?? DOT 3 is brake fluid. And another vote for Maxlife.

Oops! Of course I did.
blush.gif
And I know better too. Thanks!

You can also get an aftermarket transmission pan with a drain plug to make future ATF changes easier.

Most Japanese cars include a drain plug for the transmission but for some reason Detroit is too cheap/lazy/stupid to include one. For example, the Mk1 Focus has the same transmission as many Mazdas of the same vintage. The Mazdas have a drain plug; the Focus does not.

I changed all the fluid through cooler lines and pan drop n filter on my sigs and all is well. Even better. Changing fluid dosnt cause problems, but not changing it can. I used supertech Dexron3 (multi vehicle now) and it works great. The Dexron6 (supertech) would also be an excellent choice if maxlife is not availible. Wallyworld has ML atf for like 16$ a gallon...

Thanks for all the advice. Based upon what everyone recommended here, I just went and picked up two, eight quart jugs of Max Life. So, I'll get it all changed out tomorrow.

When I picked up the filter, I looked at it and recognized the style. I'm pretty sure I changed the fluid on this car before, but just didn't keep good records. Still, it is overdue for this fluid and filter change. It will be good to have done.

You mean two 1 gallon (4 quart) jugs of Maxlife right? That should be just enough with some extra if you drop the pan and clean it all out good.

You should need approximately 6.9 quart to refill it if it was already full before the pan drop. Total system capacity is 12.9 quarts so you are doing over half the fluid with a pan drop.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You mean two 1 gallon (4 quart) jugs of Maxlife right? That should be just enough with some extra if you drop the pan and clean it all out good.

You should need approximately 6.9 quart to refill it if it was already full before the pan drop. Total system capacity is 12.9 quarts so you are doing over half the fluid with a pan drop.

Yes. Thanks.

Got it done. Drained and filled. Only took 6 quarts. Perhaps it was low. Hard to tell with this tranny, as there is no dip stick. Only way to check fluid level is to remove the overflow plug, and add fluid at the fill plug until excess fluid runs out the overflow plug.

Fluid was in reasonably good shape. Filter and pan were filthy. Anyway, it feels good to have done.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I just went and dug the filter out of the trash, and cut it open with a Dremel. Nothing inside but dirty fluid. I was actually surprised how clean it was inside. But then, when I drained it, there was some dark, thick fluid that drained out. But nothing that could be described as chunks.

Last edited:
This last weekend my daughter was telling me about the Alero shifting different when the fluid got good and hot. The shifts were much firmer. I did a filter and Val syn HM multi/dexron ATF hoping the seal conditioners would help this 181k mile trans. The pan was still very clean after 3k miles on the Supertech, good thing. The HM valvoline syn makes this trans wonderfully smooth and happy. I am sold...hope it lasts longer than 3k this time. PITA....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back