ProSelect, Silver, Gold, Platinum - x1372

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys may remember my Auto Xtra filter I cut open LINK in my quest to see if it was a Wix or Napa Gold which after opening these I will concede that it is not equivalent , well I was going to get a Napa Gold 1372 to see if it has the combo valve or not and the manager overheard me talking and asked if I had my cutter with me and sure enough I did, asked me to cut open some filters for display.
cool.gif

IMAG0230.jpg

Thanks for posting. Is the Gold still your pick then? Is the difference in the Platinum the type of media?

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Thanks for posting. Is the Gold still your pick then? Is the difference in the Platinum the type of media?

Napa Gold or Motorcraft FL-820S, the Platinum is a fiberglass media with a wire mesh back. Also the Gold and Platinum x1372 have dome bypass.

After the long "AX same as Napa Gold" thread, good to read that assertion put to rest. As said, AX likely closest to Napa ProSelect.

NPS and Silver both with blue nitrile combo valves as advertised.

Platinum Synthetic with Silicone adbv and dome end bypass, as advertised.

But the Napa Gold dome bypass is curious. Most NG's have, or have had in the past, a thread end bypass. However, this NG 1372 has a dome end, which is fine with me. IMO, allows more room for media. And it is preferable imo to the one and only NG I've ever seen with a combo valve (silicone) posted in the AX thread, on page 19 of Motorcraft pdf. Does make me wonder where that combo valve NG 1372 was made and if it still is?

Thanks for pics.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
After the long "AX same as Napa Gold" thread, good to read that assertion put to rest. As said, AX likely closest to Napa ProSelect.

NPS and Silver both with blue nitrile combo valves as advertised.

Platinum Synthetic with Silicone adbv and dome end bypass, as advertised.

But the Napa Gold dome bypass is curious. Most NG's have, or have had in the past, a thread end bypass. However, this NG 1372 has a dome end, which is fine with me. IMO, allows more room for media. And it is preferable imo to the one and only NG I've ever seen with a combo valve (silicone) posted in the AX thread, on page 19 of Motorcraft pdf. Does make me wonder where that combo valve NG 1372 was made and if it still is?

Thanks for pics.

Yeah it seems that it has changed. I really wish I had saved that Napa Gold filter from a few years ago.

i have 1 NG with threadend metal combovalve, the others are silicone combovalve at thread end. Now they are going to domeend....

All marketing i think. Really- they set up the machines in the factory and don't/can't change them on the fly, but make a who;e batch and just change the names on the cans.....IMHO

Quote:
i have 1 NG with threadend metal combovalve, the others are silicone combovalve at thread end. Now they are going to domeend....

So, ALL NG's are going to dome end bypass? Do you have a link/reference saying NG will no longer use the traditional Wix metal thread end bypass? If so I'd be interested in reading it as I've seen/read nothing to indicate that to be the case.

Have an NG 1356 purchased not long ago that has metal thread end bypass.

The 51372 has had dome bypass for a while - wix or napa gold are the same. Most other sizes have the thread end. Not sure why that is.

Last edited:
Old thread bump. what is the difference between the proselect and silver filter? other than price, They both look identical in the pic.

I believe that the silver is rated at %80. The proselect has the same media but less of it.

The silver is a great filter. I'm using some now. No noise on startup. Can be had for less than $3 when found on sale.

Quote:
I believe that the silver is rated at %80. The proselect has the same media but less of it.

80% at what micron level? Without both parts of the efficiency equation, percent and micron level, efficiency can not be accurately stated. And how do we know Silver and PS use the same media, is there some reference that says that? Or is it an eyeball determination?

As for the topic, the 1372 (51372 Wix) is the Wix/Napa Gold equivalent of the Motorcraft FL820S. And for whatever reason or reasons is one of the minority Wix/NG filters using dome end bypass. So the answer to the question I posed above back in 2012 is no, not all Wix/NG's use dome end bypass. Still majority thread end bypass. And apparently the very short lived silicone combo valve experiment on this Wix/NG application is long gone.

Quote:

80% at what micron level? Without both parts of the efficiency equation, percent and micron level, efficiency can not be accurately stated. And how do we know Silver and PS use the same media, is there some reference that says that? Or is it an eyeball determination?

As for the topic, the 1372 (51372 Wix) is the Wix/Napa Gold equivalent of the Motorcraft FL820S. And for whatever reason or reasons is one of the minority Wix/NG filters using dome end bypass. So the answer to the question I posed above back in 2012 is no, not all Wix/NG's use dome end bypass. Still majority thread end bypass. And apparently the very short lived silicone combo valve experiment on this Wix/NG application is long gone.

That is what was told to me by the manager of our local napa. That was explained to him when he went to a training session last year for their filters. Beyond that I have no idea.

So for my application it does not have the combo valve?

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Quote:

That is what was told to me by the manager of our local napa. That was explained to him when he went to a training session last year for their filters. Beyond that I have no idea.

So for my application it does not have the combo valve?

Due respect to the manager, but again for efficiency, 80% without a micron level is essentially meaningless. Not that I would necessarily let that lack of information keep me from using one. But if for example it's 80%@20um, that wouldn't be very good. As for PS media, maybe it is the same as Silver but less of it, just wondering the source of that information.

Not sure of your application, but if it's said x1372 in either the Silver or the PS based on the pics I would say it uses a 'nitrile' combo valve. I was referring the Wix/Napa Gold 51372 application as not using a "silicone" combo valve as the MCFL820S comparo linked above indicated. If the "silicone" combo valve was accurate that is the only combo valve not nitrile I've seen. But as shown here, even if Wix did try it they abandoned the idea in favor of the current dome end bypass.

There are some Silver and PS that still use the Wix traditional separate thread end bypass. But many use the nitrile combo valve as shown in the pics above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back