New valve lifters installed....short OCI??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOGers,

It has been a while since I've posted but I now have a question where I'd like to get some opinions.

My 2009 Pontiac G8-GT (L-76 6.0L V8 with active fuel management) just had new valve lifters installed by the dealer because the original set began to tick pretty noticeably upon startup and when the engine was cold. In order to reach the lifters on that engine, the intake manifold and cylinder heads were removed. So, new lifters, new head gaskets, new valve cover and intake gaskets as well as new oil and Dex-Cool.

With all of that said, should I do an early oil change, maybe 1,000-1,500 miles out, or should I just follow the OLM and not worry about it?

Thanks!

Ed B.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Engine was open and exposed to contamination, dump early.

plus eleventy

The heads heads were off.

Originally Posted By: SuperEd73
My 2009 Pontiac G8-GT (L-76 6.0L V8 with active fuel management) just had new valve lifters installed by the dealer because the original set began to tick pretty noticeably upon startup and when the engine was cold.

Did the dealer happen to know WHY the lifters were ticking badly on cold startup ?

Merkava,

Upon inspection they said the lifters showed excessive wear. But, GM has a long standing TSB out there regarding valve lifter wear problems on that series of engine. I also am on a couple of G8 owner forums and there are many reports of premature lifter failure. GM actually redesigned the lifters after my car was built. I managed to get over 80,000 on them before I really thought it was bad but other owners have reported lifter failures at much lower mileage totals.

Ed B.

Well the lifters are the roller type so cam wear is not a problem (at least according to GM). I believe it is more of a problem with the lifters partially collapsing which is causing the ticking and in some cases I've heard about, it'll get bad enough where the engine starts throwing trouble codes.

Ed B.

One of the problems with AFM equipped GM engines. Those lifters are oil controlled to shut off cylinders. The AFM actuators disallow, or allow, oil into the AFM lifters to either have them collapse and shut off that cylinder, or keep oil in the lifter to have them function normally. All it takes is some oil coking or deposits build up in those lifters and they start goofing up. I disabled the AFM right out of the gate when I bought my 2013 Silverado as a preemptive strike against these kinds of failures.

Agree with most here... if the engine is opened up, dump oil early. I dump early on a new engine from the factory. Just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back