What would you recommend for a Lexus IS250?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas. First post here.. I've been getting the dealer to put in Mobil 1 synthetic oil since I bought the car, but now that all of my oil change vouchers are gone, I'll be doing my own oil changes from now on. I'm just looking for recommendations on which oils to consider.

1. What kind of vehicle you have (2008 Lexus IS250, 85,000 kilometres on the odometer.)

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well (Oil cap says 5w30, but a TSB was released and Lexus now recommends 5w20. Oil grade only states "ILSAC multi-grade engine oil". Manual recommends oil changes every 5,000 miles (8,000 kms).)

3. Where you live (Winnipeg, MB, Canada. 25c summer and -30c to -40c winter temps are very common)

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?) (I don't think I drive "hard", but I definitely don't baby the throttle.)

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) (Daily commute is a 8-15 minute drive that is half-city, half-highway. I do take the odd road trip down to Grand Forks or over to Calgary once or twice a summer.)

6. Whether your car has any known problems (The engine uses a direct-injection fuel system, so there is a known issue with carbon build-up on the intake valves, though I have yet to experience any of the symptoms myself.)

Thanks!

Mike

I have the same car, and if you also see the carbon build up issues, you'll likely also want an oil that doesn't burn and doesn't leave deposit when burn.

I use a heavier oil like 5w30 or 10w30, synthetic (Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum).

My carbon build up did trigger a VSC / engine light once at around 45k miles, and the dealer was not able to reproduce it after resetting.

Why not the famed Toyota 0w-20?

Given the cold temps, it seems like an ideal option for a stout 0w-20 or 30.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Why not the famed Toyota 0w-20?

Given the cold temps, it seems like an ideal option for a stout 0w-20 or 30.

Personally, since I live in warm climate that never goes below 50F, my primary concern is volatility (when all else are equal).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back