Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
DC472A41-FB78-4468-AADE-4015CA2EC1F7_zpsgutgwiea.jpg

This is on the wear bar:

C708CF15-6278-48BC-A50A-1B8767D61882_zpsm8ckp5ms.jpg

The kicker:

C487751A-060F-4C53-BD76-88A9A0B478AB_zpsc0xopnog.jpg

So although there a little bit dirty and muddy, the tires (potenza 960re pole position) are like brand-new. They are just a little bit old being that there now seven years. They have over 25,000 miles on them, but the car they're on hasn't done a ton of miles recently.

So this is one of those age versus mileage issues where the tires look good and have a ton of tread but it just past their useful age.

Car is used almost entirely for long highway trips at high speed and with a lot of load in the car.

Next time there's a $70 Michelin rebate would be prudent to replace them??

Often the car is garaged or under a cover, so they don't always necessarily see a ton of uv.

CapriRacer often said that up North, the time limit on tires would be around 10 years, so I'd say you keep using them until then.

There isn't much in the way of visible cracking or any of that. Provided they still ride well I would go for another 2 or 3 years if they don't have to see winter use. If they're used on a car you like to play with or if they have to be used in winter, sell them as good used tires.

i replaced the tires on my 95 caddy last year or the year before i cant remember exactly and they still looked good im sure the tire dealer sold them to someone. I bought the new ones wholesale so i let him have them

I would use them. The only time i dont fudge with tire age is on travel trailer tires. I change those at 7 years.

Here's what Bridgestone says:
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/customer-care/tire-warranties/full-warranty
Quote:
Tire Service Life
Make sure your tires, including the spare, continue to be
regularly inspected after 5 years of service to determine
if they can continue in service. Regardless of the tire’s
condition or tread depth, it is recommended that tires more
than 10 years old be taken out of service and replaced with
new tires. REMEMBER TO CHECK YOUR FULLSIZE OR TEMPORARY SPARE, ALSO. A spare tire
over 10 years old may look like a new tire, but it should be
replaced. See “Tire Manufacture Date,” the next section in
this manual.

The 10 year period after the date of production is not an
indicator of actual service life for any individual tire. Some
tires will need to be replaced before 10 years due to conditions such as punctures, impact damage, improper inflation,
overloading, tread wear or other conditions involving use
or misuse of the tire. If a tire is worn out or otherwise
unserviceable from damage or conditions of use, it should
be replaced regardless of when it was produced or placed
in service.

The vehicle manufacturer may consider vehicle performance characteristics when making tire replacement recommendations. Consult your vehicle owner’s manual for
any information regarding tire service life and replacement
and follow the recommendations applicable to your vehicle

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
CapriRacer often said that up North, the time limit on tires would be around 10 years, so I'd say you keep using them until then.

Ah ..... Not exactly.

I've said that in hot climates, like AZ, NV, CA, TX and FL, the limit is 6 years and in cold climates, like MN, ND, WI, MI, and MT, the limit is 10 years - and the states in between are in between.

I would judge NJ to be about 8 years. So on the face of this, the tires would seem to be nearing the end of their useful life.

- AND -

The fact that the vehicle is going to be used at high speed puts an emphasis of having good tires on the vehicle.

I would replace them for peace of mind.

I kept the original made in tawain tires on my motorcycle for almost 30 years with no problem.

Kind of similar use, kept in the garage most of the time but used on occasional long trips.

I'm not saying I would recommend keeping them 30 years but if I keep them inflated and watch them carefully and I was satisfied with the traction,etc., I would probably keep them.

Another alternative-- if I knew of another use for them, secondary vehicle or maybe sell to a taxi driver that would use them up quickly.

It is a lot easier to replace them at your lesiure rather than someplace on the road when you are going somewhere.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

I've said that in hot climates, like AZ, NV, CA, TX and FL, the limit is 6 years and in cold climates, like MN, ND, WI, MI, and MT, the limit is 10 years - and the states in between are in between.

I would judge NJ to be about 8 years.

Meh... I think we are starting to split hair now. Summers in WI can be just as hot as summers in NJ, based on my experience living in both places.

Bottom line is, if you feel uneasy about their age, change them for the piece of mind.

So he has about 18 months if I'm doing my math right.

4607 is likely November 2007.
This week is around 1214 give or take.

Let's reverse the numbers and do some math:
YY:WW
14:12
07:46
=====
06:18
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Ah ..... Not exactly.

I would judge NJ to be about 8 years. So on the face of this, the tires would seem to be nearing the end of their useful life.

- AND -

The fact that the vehicle is going to be used at high speed puts an emphasis of having good tires on the vehicle.

I would replace them for peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back