Honda Grom 125 Air Cooled 10w30 Oil Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got a Honda Grom. Really fun bike for around town, max speed is about 60mph. I wanted to see what you guys thought would be a good choice for oil for this bike. It will only be used in the city, so plenty of stop and go. Riding temperature for me here can vary from 100F in the summer to probably 30-40F in the winter. Plus with only 1 quart capacity I know I will be changing it often no matter what I use. Not much expense there either. I know about the HDEO oils like the Rotella T that I used to use in Yamaha YZ426F, but I wanted to stick with the 10w30 oil and I don't know too much about these. So here's the info:

125cc 4 stroke, 4 speed
Air cooled
Oil capacity of 1 quart
Just an oil screen
Oil lubricates engine, tranny and clutch
Honda only recommends 10w30

Some 10w30 motorcycle oils I've seen that are available are:
Amsoil MCT
Redline
Motul 5100
Pro Honda GN4, dino oil, using this now for break in
Pro Honda HP4S, full synthetic

I know it probably doesn't matter too much if I change it regularly but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Valvoline VR1 syn 10w30 is good and available but it may have FM package that will not work with the clutch; Ive never looked for an M rating on this particular lube. The stuff keeps my A/C Chonda 6500 gen quiet and powerful after 2 hours.

Mobil 1 0W40 isn't much thicker than a good 30 weight and it's proven high temperatures. Should work excellent in your application and available in jugs at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I wonder why they went to 10w30 after 5 decades of 10w40.

I would guess for fuel efficiency but not sure. They only make their HP4S in 10w30 so I think they're moving all or maybe most of their bikes to it.

Last edited:
Use plain Rotella Triple T 15w-40. Without an oil filter, you'll want to change it frequently and anything more expensive would be a waste. A gallon of the stuff costs $13 at most places.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Use plain Rotella Triple T 15w-40. Without an oil filter, you'll want to change it frequently and anything more expensive would be a waste. A gallon of the stuff costs $13 at most places.

Just curious, why the 15W40 over 10W30? I think Shell makes a Rotella T 10W30 as well. I agree though, I wouldn't spend any more than that, and be sure to change frequently.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Use plain Rotella T Triple 15w-40. Without an oil filter, you'll want to change it frequently and anything more expensive would be a waste. A gallon of the stuff costs $13 at most places.

Just curious, why the 15W40 over 10W30? I think Shell makes a Rotella T 10W30 as well. I agree though, I wouldn't spend any more than that, and be sure to change frequently.

It has the JASO MA rating, it's cheaper, and I like the heavier grade for an air-cooled application, especially if he's seeing 100F temps.

More important though, is to change it often.

You could always give Rotella T6 5W-40 a try - it's a thin 40 weight when new and has proven to shear to a 30 quickly in a shared sump. Plus, since you only need 1 quart, cost isn't really an issue.

when its at least 50% more expensive for the 5w40 over the 15w40, how is cost not an issuue?

15w40 is safe in all those temps, but i would give it a little warmup time in the winter at 30f before wfo.

steve

Thanks guys. Does anyone see an issue running the 15w40 when Honda only recommends the 10w30?
Shell does have T5 in 10w30 but I don't know anything about it. And then there's a Delo blend 10w30 I just saw.

Oh and cost is really not an issue since it only takes one quart and it's not a high mileage bike.

Last edited:
well if cost isnt an issue, what about motul 300v 10w50 at 15.99 a quart?
now does it become an issue?
compared to say 13.99 a gallon
grin.gif

no issues at all
those little motors get run hard

Originally Posted By: sunruh
well if cost isnt an issue, what about motul 300v 10w50 at 15.99 a quart?
now does it become an issue?
compared to say 13.99 a gallon
grin.gif

no issues at all
those little motors get run hard

Yeah I hear you on the cost.
You're right about the motor getting run hard. It's hard not to go WOT almost all the time.
grin.gif

Thanks to all. I think Rotella T 15w40 it is.

I think you've chosen already, but I've been running L-E 10W30 in my Honda NC700X. It does well. The FSM also lists 10W40 for this bike, though the OM does not. Does the Grom service manual have a similar entry?

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
I think you've chosen already, but I've been running L-E 10W30 in my Honda NC700X. It does well. The FSM also lists 10W40 for this bike, though the OM does not. Does the Grom service manual have a similar entry?

You know I didn't think to check the service manual. But I just did and this is what it says:
RECOMMENDED ENGINE OIL:
Pro Honda GN4 4-stroke oil (U.S.A. & Canada) or
equivalent motorcycle oil
API service classification: SG or higher (except
oils labeled as energy conserving on the circular
API service label)
JASO T903 standard: MA
Viscosity: SAE 10W-30

So no mention of 10w40. Sorry but what is L-E?

Also, just for clarification to my first post. This bike has an engine oil strainer screen, and a centrifugal filter, which I failed to mention.

rraiderr, yeah that would be an option for sure. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
Why not try a few different oils mentioned and get UOA's till you find a keeper.

that certainly is one way to take a pile of cash and make it smaller

I KNOW!!!
grin.gif

or
merely listen to a lot of great advice...but you have to sift the wheat from the chaff.
laugh.gif

if i was gonna do just 2 uoa's... i would pick that gn4 10w30 and srt 15w40...same exact miles. let the data show you the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back