04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked out an 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L I-6 and 42re transmission this past weekend. It has 102,000 miles on the engine and the trans fluid doesn't appear to have been changed.

Should I change the fluid/filter and what are the consequences of changing it since the change interval's were missed?

Thanks, Jeff

Originally Posted By: OE812
I checked out an 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L I-6 and 42re transmission this past weekend. It has 102,000 miles on the engine and the trans fluid doesn't appear to have been changed.

Should I change the fluid/filter and what are the consequences of changing it since the change interval's were missed?

Thanks, Jeff

Welcome to the forum. No consequences.. Just drain the fluid and refill and change the filter. About 6 of the 11 quarts are drained all together. I would recomend this over a flush personally. Be sure to use ATF+4 fluid too.

Chrysler recommends a fluid drain at 100,000 so you arent in bad shape at all.

Last edited:
It is good to be a member of this informative forum. For the past several years I have been searching this forum. I like the years of research that has been done on engine oil and engine filters. I had no idea the site has grown like it has until today when I became a member.

BTW, do you like the 4.0L engine? Any issues with the Jeep?

Go to Jeepforum.com if you want more specific answers on your jeep.

BTW you can also after you do the pan and refill, do a cooler line flush to get most of the fluid changed. Recommend you buy the mopar filter and install a B&M bulkhead drain plug in the pan.

It is good to be a member of this informative forum. For the past several years I have been searching this forum. I like the years of research that has been done on engine oil and engine filters. I had no idea the site has grown like it has until today when I became a member.

There are a lot of us here that have a lot of miles on 4.0s under our belt (and Jeeps in general) along with a lot of knowledge of Jeep products.

This site is a good one stop shop for all auto related discussions / questions.

You have a "good" year of the 4.0. Early WJ Grands(99-01) suffered from cracked heads and tossing piston skirts. 05-06 4.0s had issues with the cam synchronizer gears running dry causing the oil pump to not work - initiating a self destruct sequence.

There are a few favorite oils here for the 4.0.

Pennzoil Conventional (Yellow Bottle) 5w-30 and 10w-30
Rotella T6 5w-40 (diesel oil) and Rotella T6 10w-30.

I run a Ford FL1A on my 4.0. Not sure if that would mount to a WJ Grand 4.0 correctly.

You need to exchange all the ATF, so more than just whats in the pan. Replace the trans. filter. Maybe install a Magnefine inline filter.

I use Amsoil ATF in both my Jeep and Dodge Ram.

Amsoil ATF in the Jeep's TC.

Amsoil SVG in the Jeep's diff.

What he says above, also dont forget the power steering fluid and bleed the brakes.

Disconnect the return line from the cooler to the trans at the cooler.

I've owned two 4.0s and known a number of others who have owned them. Its one of the truly all-time great engines, and only got bad reviews when pushed to do things it wasn't meant to do (in the latter years, reviewers complained about its lack of highway passing power... duh. Its a stump-puller designed FOR offroad vehicles.) Maybe the best testament to the 4.0 design is how admiring Chrysler's lead engine designer was about it when Chrysler took over AMC's engine operations. And he made its little-brother 2.5L engine the replacement for HIS OWN Chrysler 2.5L engine in pickup trucks, as it was more suited to the heavier vehicle application than the overhead-cam aluminum-headed Chrysler 2.5 was.

The 4.0 went through a few years with some cylinder head issues from the end of 1999 through about 2001, but yours should be after the affected years. Some in that era also had excessive cam bearing clearances causing low oil pressure (but not low FLOW) my 2001 has that issue and continues to soldier along without anything abnormal turning up in oil analyses. A high-volume oil pump is a good band-aid for that. You'll also hear (on this forum anyway) about piston skirt fractures. I believe the guys here when they say they had the problem, and I've seen a few mentions on the Jeep forums I frequent... but its just not particularly common. The 4.0 doesn't like to run for long above 4000 RPM... so just don't ask it to. Its got enough torque below there, and is losing torque rapidly above 3500 anyway. That'll protect the piston skirts just fine.

Now the 42RE transmission: Not one of Chrysler's finest, unfortunately, but the AW4 used in the Cherokee just wasn't beefy enough for the heavier Grand Cherokee. Things got a whole heckuva lot better when it was replaced with the 545RFE. That said, it can be a good enough unit if not abused. DO NOT succumb to the temptation to use anything except an approved ATF+4 fluid. The 42xE transmissions were second only to the 41TE series in how picky they are about ATF+4. It all has to do with the torque convertor clutch lockup schedule- it really, really counts on having the particular friction modifier package that is in ATF+4 (and +3 before it, but +3 was a vastly inferior fluid). ATF+4 is a solid synthetic fluid by any measure, so you really don't gain much (just a little better oxidation resistance and viscosity retention) by going to Dexron VI, Amsoil, Redline, whatver. Just stick to ATF+4. I wouldn't get carried away with excessive flushing, either. Do a fluid/filter change now, and then a fluid exchange again in maybe a short 20,000 mile interval. While you have the pan off this time to do the filter, think about installing a drain plug through the pan (if it doesn't have one) to make it easy to do a fluid change next time.

A visual of the ATF does not really tell you a whole lot. Does it have a burned smell?

There are 2 ways to exchange the ATF. A cooler line exchange, takes 30 minutes after the pan is bolted back on. Or multiple drain & fills, can take more or less time depending upon how you drain the pan. Multiple drain & fills wastes ATF trying to get a high % of new ATF.

Wow I appreciate all of the info. I don't know why there is such negativity at my work and my indy Mechanic about Chrysler and jeep! All I stated was I am going to buy the 04 grand cherokee and got hassled. I am buying it and service it like you guys suggested.

Another option if it doesn't have a drain plug is to go through the fill hole with a vacuum pump either a cheap one from the parts store or a mity vac and suck the fluid out and leave the pan on. You can measure what you remove and replace in equal amounts.

Wow I appreciate all of the info. I don't know why there is such negativity at my work and my indy Mechanic about Chrysler and jeep! All I stated was I am going to buy the 04 grand cherokee and got hassled. I am buying it and service it like you guys suggested.

Unfortunately, the Grand Cherokee did inherit a lot of Chrysler problems. Weak transmissions, electronic gremlins - basically the general problems that all Chrysler products suffered then due to Daimler-Benz affecting their quality control.

Wow I appreciate all of the info. I don't know why there is such negativity at my work and my indy Mechanic about Chrysler and jeep!

11096_1213489180944_500_275.jpg

MORONS!!

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Wow I appreciate all of the info. I don't know why there is such negativity at my work and my indy Mechanic about Chrysler and jeep!

11096_1213489180944_500_275.jpg

MORONS!!

Absolutely!!

0E812, follow 440Magnum's advice. Ignore all the posts, most of the nay-sayers have never owned a mopar.

Good luck,

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back