p1 cut open at 16132mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 nissan titan
pp 10w30
p1 14610 filter
16132mi

For as many miles the filter looks good. Has no tears or defects. Top end cap popped off with little effort the bottom took some force. I am running 5w30 with another p1 filter doing my normal 7500 oci and plan on sending to Blackstone. Feel free to ask questions. On to the pictures.

20140407_212943_zpsf7b80a00.jpg

20140407_212500_zps81aa367a.jpg
20140407_212434_zpsb57b9e89.jpg

sorry for the large image size.

Last edited:
Used a mini hack saw and got to deep into the canister. Double checked and it was that. Need to go to harbor freight for that pipe cutter.

16k mi. oci, "no tears or defects", potting intact. PL14610 looks good to me, did it's job. Got your monies worth out of this one over a very substantial oci. Not the short 3-3.k mi. recently raved about with the current flavor of the month. And if endcaps were on, then they were glued/attached.

Thanks for the pics.

You all are very welcome and i hope to be helpful to this great forum. I also don't plan on doing any 10k+ oci anytime soon. Still can't wait for the next oci to send to Blackstone.

Thanks for sharing. I use the same filter on 10 Armada. Have one I took off last week after 7500 OCI waiting to be cut open.

Originally Posted By: spooled180
You all are very welcome and i hope to be helpful to this great forum. I also don't plan on doing any 10k+ oci anytime soon. Still can't wait for the next oci to send to Blackstone.

Thanks for posting. I just received my oil pump and containers from Blackstone.

I was going to go the Mobil 1 route with my oil but I just replace all my oil with Amsoil signature 0w20 and their oil filter at 30k. I had a hard time finding the Mobil 1 oil and the Amsoil rep had everything in stock.
I plan on replacing the filter at 10k and really seeing if their oil will live up to the hype of 25k.
Im a little worried my filter on my 2012 Corolla might not make it 15k. I have been reading about sludge since the filter is so small.

I'm going to 20 000 miles OCI using Amsoil Signature oil . The oil filter will be able to go that distance too. First I took lots of pictures with the valve covers removed to see the condition of the cylinder top. Now I can compare it after 20 000 miles and even push it to 25 000 miles.

At 20 000 miles I will also do an UOA on both vehicle to check the condition of the oil.

What? I thought PureOne now featured pre-torn media? :p

It all goes to show, the oil filter pics that are shown on this forum are a severely small sample of all oil filters out there. One torn filter media on this forum is not indicative at all of each overall brand.

In the first picture, the top of the pleat to the left of the crimp looks like it is starting to pull out of the glue area. That is how mine failed. At first I didn't notice it, but it was loose and wiggled in the glue. After gently pushing it slightly the torn media became apparent. It just happened to settle in a position that made it look ok. I had 2 puro's fail. I don't trust them.

Quote:
Wouldn't this filter be fully clogged @ 16k and running in bypass mode?

Not in a well maintained engine, and especially so if majority were highway miles. Based on the appearance of the PL14610, this engine would appear to be well maintained. No visible sludging that I can see. Looks quite good.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Not in a well maintained engine, and especially so if majority were highway miles. Based on the streetnce of the PL14610, this engine woof appear to be well maintained. No visible sludging that I can see. Looks quite good.

sayjac: yes, the majority were highway miles. A few camping trips to the lake as well. Still 80/20 highway to street. Did not notice any sludging and oil dripped out fine.

As for the pleats I applied pressure to move them and they stayed intact with no noticeable tearing at the base. At over 16k even I would expect some more wear and especially some tear marks to be visible. I am very pleased but more surprised with the results. Very happy to see the filter in this condition.

Depending on a whole lot of environmental conditions this oil filter could look worst.

I would be thrilled with this outcome.

I am trying to figure this out. According to the extended run of the oil filters, 10k, 15k & even 25k on some, what would be the best way to check them? I hear that you can not pull one off because of the gasket seal and reapply it.
I defiantly do not want to be running in by pass. I have to believe summer months would be harder on oil than winter?

This filter looks good, but whose to say his next filter at 16k does not look like pudding?

Originally Posted By: spooled180
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Not in a well maintained engine, and especially so if majority were highway miles. Based on the appearance of the PL14610, this engine would appear to be well maintained. No visible sludging that I can see. Looks quite good.

sayjac: yes, the majority were highway miles. A few camping trips to the lake as well. Still 80/20 highway to street. Did not notice any sludging and oil dripped out fine.

As for the pleats I applied pressure to move them and they stayed intact with no noticeable tearing at the base. At over 16k even I would expect some more wear and especially some tear marks to be visible. I am very pleased but more surprised with the results. Very happy to see the filter in this condition.

Not my intention to imply any sludging in the least. Mostly was answering a question regarding using a the PL14610 for 16k. Obviously this engine has been maintained, but based on the look of the filter not surprised to read the highway to street use ratio. While some here may disagree, highway miles are easier on engines and filters. Less short trip fuel dilution and moisture/condensation cycles which are tougher on oil filter media. Running a majority of engine cycles at engine operating temperature for long periods easiest on oil filters and other engine parts. Imo, this P1 appearance is an example of that thought.

One comment about trying to remove the metal end caps, imo it really serves no purpose. I've dissected many PL14610's and posted them here, never had the caps fall off, nor have I really tried to force them off. If one tries to pull/force them off it could mean some of the potting would come with the endcaps, which might appear in disassembly pics as a flaw. But wouldn't be one because the glue in some areas might pull the potting/glue away, but was not compromised in use.

Thanks for reiterating that no tears were present, fwiw I believed you the first time. And while you may be surprised with the results, though most of my dissected PL14610's have been run 6-8.5k mi. your results are typical to what mine have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back