clear coating chrome ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a set of pacer wheels on my truck, and the center caps are chromed plastic. i want to spray the center caps with clear coat to protect them, the road salt and chemicals they use during the winter really attacks the chrome and leaves staining, pitting, and green deposits on them.
I've buffed them out with rouge and a buffing wheel and have them as good as they're gonna get. this is the 2nd year in a row i've had to buff them and getting tired of it.

I have the center caps washed again and i plan on wiping them with alcohol, will a clear coat spray adhere to chrome and look ok?
I have a can of rustoleum clear coat enamel (not acrylic) in crystal clear gloss.
will that work?

I don't see how it's going to adhere to chrome. Chroming makes the surface extremely smooth, and paint sticks best to a rough surface.

Chroming is actually much tougher and more durable than clearcoat is. Things were chromed because it could withstand much more abuse and was very resilient.

My advice is to not have anything chrome on a vehicle that's exposed to salt.

The chromed plastic was not done by plating and is very thin and fragile. Best bet is to wax them and keep waxing them as often as you can.

Originally Posted By: loyd
The chromed plastic was not done by plating and is very thin and fragile. Best bet is to wax them and keep waxing them as often as you can.

Good point. You can't chrome-plate a piece of plastic.

Use a good wax. Collinite 845 works well.

For actual metal Blackfire makes a good metal sealer and you can always spend a few bucks on Sharkskin.

this is the 2nd year for me with this problem and i overhear all the time motorcycle guys talking about how this road chemical kills the chrome on their bikes, which is real chrome.
the caps i would say are the same as the front grill on the truck which is chromed plastic, and even that this year as some greenish on it that didn't wash off today.
the first winter i had these wheels i took them off in dec. and didn't wash them and stored them in the garage. had heck of time getting the center caps cleaned last spring and i did wax them following that cleaning and buffing.
this past year i tried getting the wheels off early and washed them but still had much of the same problem, although they seemed to clean up easier this time using a dish scouring sponge with lacquer thinner to get the green stuff off, then use a denim buffing wheel with a white rouge bar from caswell. up close you can see the scratches and pitting but from 3 feet or more away they look about new.
$30 for blackfire is more than i prefer to spend and i doubt it'll last all summer/fall, at which point if i'm pulling the wheels anyway it looks like wax and buffing is what i'll have to put up with.
the sharkhide looks like the best thing to use but for that price i think i can get 4 new center caps.

Not all waxes are created equal. The Collinite 845 and 476 are really durable waxes as is Finish Kare's 1000P Hi Temp Wax. Much better than your standard cheapo 4 dollar turtle wax stuff.

Try a rattlecan spray clear. Clean the parts really well with alcohol to make sure no oils are present. If the clear doesn't fisheye you should then be good to go.

considering collinite, i've used that stuff before.

they have #850 metal wax about $12, think that'll be better for chrome than the #845 insulator wax or one of the other heavy duty waxes?
i already have the chrome completely cleaned and buffed.

i also have a load of stuff in my detailing cabinet so i hate to buy another product.
i have klasse sealant glaze, 3m ultra performance marine paste wax, poorboys sealant and maybe one other sealant, along with some zaino. think any of those would be worth it on chrome ? and when i clean these wheels i'm not even using a wheel cleaner i'm using car wash soap.

Last edited:
The Collinite stuff is good for metal, but for plastic chrome I would send them a quick email to ask if there is anything that would prevent it from working well on that. I know the Insulator wax works well on my bike chrome(except the exhaust as its too hot for the wax)

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: loyd

Good point. You can't chrome-plate a piece of plastic.

Yes you can, the green coming through is likly the copper flash that is applied prior to the chrome.

http://www.finishing.com/0400-0599/574.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back