Seizing caliper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: outdoorsman310
oh i thought you were saying you had drums.

Well I do, but only for the parking brake, LOL
smile.gif

Yes, his high performance BMW M5 had a special option for the rear drum brakes and he paid extra for it. Besides, calipers are really difficult to engineer on a drum brake system but since this is a BMW, anything is possible.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Pricey Syl Glyde? Ask Tegger on the price of Molykote M77!

My 2.6oz jar was $75. That jar measures 2" in diameter and is 2" tall.

Honda Canada's TSB says they now have some really good pricing from their supplier, so the current prices are probably lower than what I paid.

Sil-Glyde is very cheap by comparison to M-77; but Raybestos does make a competing silicone-based brake grease that is close to M-77 in price.

A 1oz jar of Molykote M77 is around $17 at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Corning-Molykote-Lubricant-Silicone-Container/dp/B00B3URP1I

In case you want to try it, rebuilding the calipers is fairly easy. I rebuilt them with the OEM kit from the dealer. I used some rubber hose on a screw driver and plugged it into the union nut to prevent the union nut from leaking the brake fluid when caliper is removed; so, I didn't have to run out of fluid and bleed the master cylinder. To push the pistons out, I just tapped on the brake pedal -- no compressed air was needed. You clean everything and lube with brake fluid and also glycol grease if provided in the kit. Lube the bushings with brake grease.

The only somewhat tricky part is installing the dust boot. Just make sure that you don't forget the old snap ring inside and install the new boot and snap ring properly -- with the correct orientation of the boot and snapping things into correct grooves.

I'd still do a full brake fluid flush with ATE DOT 4 fluid.

I'm still in utter shock an M5 that could see track time wouldn't recommend seasonal or at least every two year brake fluid flushes. Well I guess BMW started the no service lease nonsense a long time ago!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back