Brake flush at Honda Dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it really necessary to do this on our Odyssey every 35k miles? I just had this done today at the dealer. Seems like it would be easy to do at home. Never tried it though. Also, Do I have to use the Honda Dot 3 or can I use any off the shelf? Thanks

I believe it's a necessary practice to have the brake fluid cycled. Although most people don't.

You do NOT need to use honda brake fluid. It's one fluid they didn't make specific.

You can do it from home, however, you'd need someone to stomp the brake pedal quite a bit.

If your fluid is still clean looking, I personally just do draw & refills every oil change.
Get a turkey baster, draw out what you can from the master cylinder, refill with fresh and be done.

An assistant is not absolutely necessary. There are plenty of ways to to do a brake fluid flush at home. Purge the reservoir, refill, then use whatever bleeding method suits your fancy and budget until fresh fluid comes out at all four corners. Avoid using gravity bleed method except in very dry weather which I doubt you have in NC in April.

Mileage doesn't matter. Time matters. 2 years is the usual recommendation.

Just emptying the reservoir and refilling does a little good, but not much. The moisture in the fluid will dissipate throughout the system, but it is much better to do a complete flush/bleed. "Bleeding" just removes the air bubbles. Using the bleed system until new fluid comes through is a complete flush.

Yeah, that's what they did at the dealer, A complete flush/bleed. So just emptying the res doesn't accomplish much huh? Good to know. I empty the PS res via turkey baster and refill a few times after a few drives through the neighborhood. Is that ok?

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Mileage doesn't matter. Time matters. 2 years is the usual recommendation.

Consider that the vehicle is a Honda and Honda's do not use a fully sealed brake hydraulic system. Every time you depress the brake pedal ambient air is allowed to enter, mix with the air inside, then escape the reservoir. Depressing the pedal more frequently or further will result in more water reaching the brake fluid. Keeping the fluid level high may reduce water absorption.

The 2 year recommendation is conservative and should be adjusted for weather and driving conditions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asharris7
Yeah, that's what they did at the dealer, A complete flush/bleed. So just emptying the res doesn't accomplish much huh? Good to know. I empty the PS res via turkey baster and refill a few times after a few drives through the neighborhood. Is that ok?

It's OK as long you clean the turkey baster good before putting it back in the kitchen. Then the wife will never know.

Originally Posted By: asharris7

No.

The moisture which the brake fluid picks up from the atmosphere heads for the lowest point in the system, the cylinders.

The moisture corrodes the parts at the wheels and lowers the boiling point of the fluid.

You really want to flush all the old fluid out and start fresh.

Originally Posted By: eddy21
Don't you need something to cycle the ABS pump to bleed?

No, it is not listed in any honda factory service manual as part of the brake fluid service procedure.

Yes you can do it at home.

Honda DOT 3 isn't necessary. Any DOT 3, 4 or 5.1 will do. It really doesn't matter what you use as long as you do it regularly. Even Walmart brake fluid is fine, but I like Wagner Severe Duty, and Castrol DOT 4 is also very popular and great stuff too.

Honda says every 3 years regardless of mileage, independent of the MM.

Cycling the ABS is no longer necessary in Hondas, although their older cars like the Integra did have separate fluid for the ABS system, but no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back