Wynn Fuel System Tune up VS DIY FST?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I bought a 2008 Saturn Aura XR from my local Ford Dealer, Northgate Ford. It has the 3.6 liter DOHC V-6, according to the specs I found online it has 252 horsepower and 250 ft.-lb torque @3,000 rpm so it should be my fastest car yet, assuming its lighter than the Aurora. It is being inspected and prepped for me and a free OC before I pick it up next week. There is a small dent on the driver door. He offered to fix it, but rather than do so I was gonna use it to take a few hundred dollars off the final price. OR I could ask them to do the Wynn fuel system service FST for me. I could easily do this myself. I put a bottle of techron in the tank, clean the MAF sensor, clean the throttle body, replace the PCV valve, clean the IAC valve (if equipped), run half a can of either seafoam spray or liquid (possibly both, depending on the results), replace the air filter, and inflate the tires to the proper pressure. Once I start the car again after the seafoam soaks in, I head out for a spirited run in 2nd gear, 30-70 MPH about ten times. My real question is should I use the wiggle room that the dent gives me to have them throw in a Wynn FST, or do it myself and have them change the trans fluid and filter for free, possibly a full flush, and change the filter myself shortly afterwards? Or do all of it myself and have them fix the dent? I don't know if the Wynn FST is better than DIY methods because I've never had a car actually get to the point of actually needing it, since I usually do seafoam in the spring and the other items as needed.

I usually just inflate the tires. I didn't know I need all that other stuff. Actually I just keep the tires inflated all the time, as I drive enough that I need the tires ready to go at any time.

Do you need to change the plugs after you run all this stuff?

I would have them fix the dent. In my area of the country, any panel ding/dent is at least(AT LEAST) $450 per panel and, if done properly, they'll blend/match panel color meaning, the body shop will also spray into the next panel(s) so that the paint & body work looks uniform.

You'd never know if they actually preformed the Wynn FST especially if the engine doesn't run poorly but, the body work you won't be able to miss!

And, unless you also do body repair/paint work, the other maintenance can be performed by you as mentioned. JUST MY OPINION!
smile.gif

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it if I had just changed the plugs, for fear of dirt jamming them up, but I recently ran about a quarter of a can of seafoam through the air intake of a John Deere LX188 with a spray bottle. It didn't stall for the rest of the season. When I changed the spark plugs later on, the firing surfaces were whitish, and the rest of it was brownish black. I would say it cleaned the spark plugs. Since the car has 97,000 miles, I'm just gonna put in new plugs soon anyway.

Fix the dent, if the car runs good right now, just use top tier gas and use Techron fuel system cleaner before your next oil change. That should get it.
It's probably just me, but I wonder sometimes about all these whiz bang products you see now a days

Originally Posted By: Aurora09
Update: I asked them just to fix the dent. It'll give me some extra work to get it running "perfectly" lol.

Very Good!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back