Spraying Bottom Deck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new Snapper SP90.

I was curious if any of you {Apply}-{Spray} any type of product below on the underneath side of the deck, to keep moist grass clippings from sticking and building up?

I could have sworn I have read or heard of owners spraying WD-40 or any type of slippery lubricant on the underneath side of the deck to keep the grass clippings from building up.

Maybe I dreamed it up? Any thoughts?

Maybe the easiest way is to don't mow when the grass is damp?

There is a product made specifically for the purpose, I think it is called "mow-deck" or something like that. Also John deere used to make a graphite paint I think was called slip plate, that really worked.

Lowes...

http://www.lowes.com:80/pd_317707-1409-MSP11_0__?Ntt=mower+deck+treatment&UserSearch=mower+deck+treatment&productId=3137779&rpp=32

Wife's no stick cooking spray also works...

I have not tried mo deck but i have tried a lot of other things. none of them lasted. I tried various paints, bedliner coating, a graphite embedded paint. The best thing is to clean it before winter so it does not sit with wet grass an rust while sitting.

I do remember the Pam cooking spray from a lawn mower forum.

I will swing by tractor supply and pick up a can of Mo-Deck.

I have not mowed with this new mower yet. So the underneath deck is spotless... The Mo-Deck should have a perfect surface to bond too.

I will apply the coating exactly as it states on the can. I will report back after I get a couple of mowing's with this mower.

The thing is about these coatings is-->The first coat in my mind is the most important.

The underneath surface will almost have to be new or sandblasted to have perfectly clean surface to bond too.

I could not imagine laying on my side for hours with a screw driver or any type of other scraper cleaning all the crud off of the whole underneath deck.

It might be easier to clean underneath with H2O every time you mow in damp conditions?

My Toro rider manual from 1992 says to periodically apply a coat of paste wax to the underside of the deck. Unfortunately, when I inherited this mower there wasn't much paint left on the underside so it isn't something I have tried to do. I have been spraying with a hose and scraping with a putty knife to get the built up wet clippings off the underside of the deck, and here in S. Florida that means just about everyt time I mow in the summer. Not fun at all.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I have not tried mo deck but i have tried a lot of other things. none of them lasted. I tried various paints, bedliner coating, a graphite embedded paint. The best thing is to clean it before winter so it does not sit with wet grass an rust while sitting.

^^^this^^^^

One time when I had to remove the deck for belt replacement, I cleaned the bottom and painted (brush on) it with rustoleum(?).In the fall I chop thru piles of leaves. The leaves scub the bottom of the deck clean for winter storage.If you cut wet grass, it will build up under there and it is hard on the belts.

Last edited:
I clean and service my deck and blades each year and rough sand the underside then spray paint with any color/type of paint I have left over from previous projects. My 16 year old JD deck performs like new and I have never replaced the deck belt or bearings and have only replaced the blades once. I never mow wet grass...over time it will stick to almost anything...no matter what you use.

Stopped in at Tractor Supply just a while ago.

Picked up a can of Mo-Deck.

Just put the first coat on. Will let set 15min.
Then apply a few more coats.

I am really mad at myself.. Tractor Supply had a great looking lawn mower--> 21in Cub Cadet 3-in-1 with a 159cc HONDA motor!!!
$399 Dang my Luck!!!

I will report back after a few mowing adventures.

I have a Craftsman mower that I'm going to coat with a dry film lubricant I bought from True Value. The can advertises it's good for all kinds of farm equipment so I'm hoping it will do the job. The weathers' been so undependable (unless bad is dependable) that I haven't had the chance to take the deck off to prepare it and apply the coating. I'll post my experience at the season comes on.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-

I am really mad at myself.. Tractor Supply had a great looking lawn mower--> 21in Cub Cadet 3-in-1 with a 159cc HONDA motor!!!
$399 Dang my Luck!!!

That's a rare find. A few years back they cheaped out and went with a chonda motor.

some use somekind of hose fitting attached to the deck. You could then just put the water hose on there and let the mower run for 30 sec to clean all of the underside. Simple and kind of less work in the long run.

Originally Posted By: lars11
some use somekind of hose fitting attached to the deck. You could then just put the water hose on there and let the mower run for 30 sec to clean all of the underside. Simple and kind of less work in the long run.

I see all the mowers at lowes have a hose fitting from the factory. I use fluid film on mine.

The hose fitting is a cool idea. I figure after washing the underneath side I will let it run on the pavement for a few minutes to at least Dry!

I will say! I have not mowed with the new mower yet. I have applied at least 5 coats of Mo Deck to the underneath side. Each coat I let set for at least 24hours. The coating does dry and some what bond to the metal as well as plastic.

Will report back after the first 2 or 3 of mowing. I will try not to mow when the grass is wet or damp.

Eddie: My Dad has used WD-40 in the past! When I was kid. He would have me rinse the underneath side after each use with water. Run dry for a few minutes and then tilt and spray with WD-40. Only took a few extra minutes.

Now he also uses spray silicon after each use. He has a older 74-75 model snapper hi-vac. I kid you not the mower looks almost new. He is very much retired so he has a lot of time to pamper his old mower. Also Our yard as well as His yard now has always been like Golf Courses! No Weeds! Just Plush Green Bermuda!

I think any type of spray lubricant or even cooking spray will work. As long as you have a fairly clean surface to start with.

If you can some how get your timing right and only mow when the grass is not damp or wet? You will have a much easier time of keeping the underneath deck rust free-->But every buddy knows this. It's all about Will Power and Timing!

If you can take that mower back and get a full refund that would be a smart idea. That is a MTD pile of junk with a 5 year lifespan. That mower is not made by Snapper.

Mowers direct.com sells the Snapper Ninja for only $120 more. It is much heavier duty and has a 20 year lifespan, parts are readily available and cheep. For only $120 more the choice is easy for me. This mower is actually made by Snapper.

Snapper guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back