Royal Purple 2 cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a NOS Redmax Gz4000 chainsaw and wanted to get some good 2 cycle oil for it.]
I've heard of Royal Purple oil and thought it was a "premium" oil, so I ordered a quart off of Amazon. When I got it, it has no certificastions (JASO etc).

So what is the story on this stuff? Should I just get a JASO certifited oil and dump this?

Thank you@

If I'm correct Royal Purple as a company is small and many certifications cost a lot of money. I'd run it without losing sleep over it. I use their 10w-40 in my Mazda with great results

That's a nice saw; in my opinion, they are more concerned with not using oils designated for marine use, I think because they are not appropriate for the engine in your saw, as opposed to a boat motor...Royal Purple does not make anything that is going to sully their reputation - instead of gadzilions of bucks on advertizing, their reputation is their backbone. Personally, I use brand oil,, like Stihl or Husqvarna, because they too have a reputation to protect. Equally important in this mix is the fuel - I ALWAYS use premium. It runs better, cooler, and I like not having to worry - I consider the little extra cost a reflection on what petro companies put into formulating their higher end fuels, which are generally demanded by their more particular customers - those who drive high performance vehicles.

RP is obviously a boutique oil and likely more than sufficient for the job at hand. As is just about any other half decent off the shelf two cycle oil. However, I won't pay a premium for fancy names and lofty claims needlessly.

I know from personal experience that any good "put brand name here" two cycle oil doesn't need to by synthetic nor expensive. I've got two old Jonsereds saws that I've owned since new. One's an '84 the other an '86. Both have cut tons upon tons of firewood and both still run like the day I bought them. I've gone through bars, chains and drive sprockets but the engines remain untouched. My oil of choice is Canadian Tire Brand Motomaster TC-3, $13.00 for 5 liter jugs.

Burn the RP in the saw for sure. Just don't bother dumping a ton of money into your next two cycle oil purchase unless you want to intentionally contribute to the profits of the company or are spending the money for warm and fuzzy.

This thread is a few months old but I thought I'd post my most recent experience with Royal Purple. I bought a gallon of RP HP 2-C because it was labeled as being a 'Low-Ash' oil and no longer carried the TCW-III rating of the former Royal Purple product. I was hoping that they had introduced a oil more in tune with the ISO-L-EGD and the JASO-FD certified offerings.

A review of the HP 2-C product data sheet shows that it is still listed as an 'ashless' oil. I wrote to the company to ask whether it was 'ashless' or 'low-ash' and they said it was so low-ash that it was labeled as ashless. This doesn't seem like a legitimate reply and the fact that this oil carries absolutely zero ratings makes me wonder precisely what the target audience is. Is it meant for use in outboards or for the OPE user who runs saws and trimmers for a living?

I did mix a batch of the HP 2-C and ran it in a couple of pieces of equipment just to see how it felt. I let my string trimmer idle while I ran my mower (approximately 30 minutes) and the string trimmer idled fine, no loading up or plug fouling.

I guess that only time will tell whether it's worth $10 a quart but I'm not very pleased with the lack of information from the customer representative. If anyone has any information regarding the formulation of 2-cycle oils note that this oil does have a high ammonia scent that is similar to the Kawasaki Racing two stroke oil that Kawasaki sells for their motorcycles. The Kawasaki oil is also listed as ashless but recommended for air-cooled engines.

I have also used RP 2-Cycle in a Kawasaki trimmer and snow-blower. I only used for 1 season in both equipment. Seemed to run ok, but the lack of certifications pushed me to use JASO-FD stuff. I'm now using Kawasaki blend K-tec oil (Amazon).

The only certified 2 stroke synthetic I could find was Klotz Techniplate Snowmobile (its JASO-FD and TCW-3). If I went back to full synthetic, I would use that.

If you look at oils like Amsoil, it will say 'use where JASO-FD is recommended.' Its also not certified, but that statement is misleading and people read too quickly and think its a certified oil.

I dont think any 2 stroke full synthetic has detergent in it, which is again why I'm using JASO-FD for highest detergent content.

I have also used the K-tec oil that Kawasaki sells for their outdoor power equipment. It can be ordered at any place that sells kawasaki outdoor power equipment or parts. I liked that oil quite a bit and it was JASO certified with the certification number and symbol published on the package.

The Kawasaki oil that I mentioned that held no ratings was the Kawasaki racing oil that is sold at the motorcycle shops. It also has worked fine but I haven't used it long enough to tell if it was a clean burner or not. I do have 6 quarts of it that I'll eventually burn through. Unfortunately I also have a liter of Castrol RS, Motul 710, some Mobil MX2T, the gallon of Royal Purple, some Lucas and a few other bottles of some Motorex and another that I can't recall. I'm a 2-stroke oil hoarder...
smile.gif

I bought some Amsoil saber to use in the lawnboy, before that it was lawnboy factory oil in the little can. Probably a fine oil but it made lots of ash and I wanted it to run cleaner.

For my stihl chainsaw, it's Stihl Ultra oil period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back