There's one good reason not to buy FRAM Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
They're never in stock. Every time I go to WM the spot on the shelf for XG3378A is always empty.

That's surprising. I used to use the same filter for my Alero, and never had a problem finding stock. Now I have my own stockroom of NAPA Gold filters for the Alero.

No one carries the ultra filter for my car; XG9641. I want to use the ultra for two oil change intervals because the filter is a PITA to change on the 2.3. Best place for me is Ebay.

I have 3 Wal-Marts in a 10 mile radius. The one store is absolutely worthless. I can go in there needing 10 items and will walk out with only 5 if I'm lucky.

They never stock the shelves on a regular basis. That's the sign of a lousy excuse for a store manager. I simply stopped going to that one. Maybe they'll finally close it if people stop going to it.

They're never in stock. Every time I go to WM the spot on the shelf for XG3378A is always empty.

Order one on-line at walmart.com and have it shipped to your favorite Walmart for pick-up. Inspect it before buying, like you would if it was on the self. I carefully inspect every filter I buy, if I can. Rarely order on-line (like from Amazon). But if you did the Walmart on-line you could at least inspect it and return it right there if you don't like it when you go to pick it up.

Filters in that price range are almost always in stock.

It's the solid, value priced filters that should be scarce.

For some folks, it's tough to spend $10 or $20, depending on where you shop, for a disposable FRAM Ultra oil filter.

You're just going to through that thing in the garbage can in four months.

Most DIY oil changers are looking to save a few hard earned bucks.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

For some folks, it's tough to spend $10 or $20, depending on where you shop, for a disposable FRAM Ultra oil filter.

$9 at Walmart ... this isn't Canada.
laugh.gif
Use it for 2x 6K~7K OCIs and get full use out of it, then it's only $4.50 an OCI.

I get Purolator PureOne's from Blains Farm and Fleet online.
(Yellow Can)
Best bang for the buck...

For the beater and mower, I use the white cans...

They also have the blue synthetics...

Learn what filters fit before going to the store,
I have run oversized filters on four different cars....

Last edited:
Advance Auto parts in my home town must be in Canada because an Ultra for my Camry there is $17.99. : )

But that same filter is $9.99 at Walmart.

Still, a solidly constructed Hastings down at Fisher Auto for $4.50 is much more attractive.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Advance Auto parts in my home town must be in Canada because an Ultra for my Camry there is $17.99. : )

But that same filter is $9.99 at Walmart.

Still, a solidly constructed Hastings down at Fisher Auto for $4.50 is much more attractive.

If you're running dino in the Camrys, then your OCI is probably only 5~6K. So use an Ultra for 2x OCIs and it's only $5 an OCI. It's a better performing filter than the Hastings.

Come to think of it, they didn't have the one spec'd for my moms Elantra either. They had the Extra Guard.. Just not the TG or Ultra. Ordering online is an excellent idea.

For those that have an AAP in the area, use a code and for most filters you can pick up 3 for ~$30 and with a code they become about $7.50 each out the door. I did this to save money and not have too large of a stash.

If you can see your way past the fiber cap hysteria, then the TG version may be an excellent alternative. Same efficiency rating, but warranty limited at 10k verus 15k for the FU. About 1/3 cheaper and just as good for any typical OCI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back