New Subaru, 1qt in 1800mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My wife ran our 09 EJ253 near 4Krpm on the highway. Hellish 3k rpms? - that's funny
smile.gif

?? I never said the 3000rpms were hellish, I said my highway commute is.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
JTK, 3,000 RPM is just fine. I've had a few old cars from the late '80s and early '90s that ran anywhere from 3,200 to 4,000 RPM at 75 MPH...

I hear you. I've had 4spd manual 4 bangers back in the 1980's, 3spd automatics, etc. that hummed along on the hyway. Just seems odd for a "green" 2014 model year "partial zero emissions vehicle".

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
3000 - 4000rpm is the sweet spot for a subie engine.

Could be LR. I dunno where peak torque is for the FB20, but I wouldn't say 2.0 or 2.5i Subaru engines are happy revers. To me they sound and feel horrible at high revs.

My only experience with oil consumption/Subaru with my current 2005 Legacy GT(turbo EJ255) wagon with 167,000 miles. I tried Mobil 1 and it consumed a quart every 2000 miles. No idea why. I flipped back to conventional 5w30 as before and currently and it does not burn oil over 4000 miles.

Makes no sense.

Believe there is a recent TSB out for this that may involve installing a new ring design Subaru has created to address the issue.

What exactly is the new ring design? Going from low tension rings for regular ones?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Believe there is a recent TSB out for this that may involve installing a new ring design Subaru has created to address the issue.

What exactly is the new ring design? Going from low tension rings for regular ones?

A google search shows a brand new TSB just issued March 20 at SOA, but I do not have access to it: http://techinfo.subaru.com/static/whatsNew.html

Here is a link to the September 2013 complete TSB, a zipped up file if you feel it safe to open...about the 13th post down: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/...2/index151.html

2012 (AFTER VIN C*411693)- 14 MY Forester Models with 2.5L FB Engines
"This bulletin provides information regarding a change made to the surface treatment applied to the oil control piston rings for 2.5L FB engines. The change was made as a result of some limited findings of unanticipated wear of these rings. Oil consumption will be higher than normal and consistent, if this wear occurs, the condition remains until repair."

Mine is smooth as butter up to redline, 5-speed manual trans. Unless it is the boxer exhaust note you're referring to, which admittedly does take on a weird ragged sound above about 3500rpm. But as far as engine smoothness, I think I might be able to place a glass of Chardonnay on the engine and it wouldn't move.

Not that I drink Chardonnay.

When Mobil dropped Clean 5000 in late 2011, I switched it to Kendall GT-1 synthetic blend. Could it be the timing chain on the FB making it louder, I have the older EJ25 w/ the belt. Also, the revs are more buttery on the Kendall than they were on the old Mobil Clean 5000. Mobil oils lubricate well but they always seem to make the engine emit a little more metallic noise.

Kendall makes a 0W20 full synthetic, maybe try it on your next oil change it's priced below most other 0W20's (but can be hard to find on retail shelves). I think there is a VOA of it on the Petroleum Quality Institute of America's web site.

Originally Posted By: JTK

Could be LR. I dunno where peak torque is for the FB20, but I wouldn't say 2.0 or 2.5i Subaru engines are happy revers. To me they sound and feel horrible at high revs.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

"This bulletin provides information regarding a change made to the surface treatment applied to the oil control piston rings for 2.5L FB engines. The change was made as a result of some limited findings of unanticipated wear of these rings. Oil consumption will be higher than normal and consistent, if this wear occurs, the condition remains until repair."

Thanks!
I guess the rings were too soft from the factory.

I was wrong about the RPMs at 75mph. They're closer to 3400rpm @ 75mph with the 5spd XV Crosstrek. Like said, it's not horrible, it just takes some getting used to. Until you get used to it, you're searching for another gear. IIRC, my 2012 Legacy 2.5i CVT rolled at barely 2K rpm at that speed.

Last edited:
Unfortunately my 2009 Legacy has consumed around 1qt of oil every 2.5k-3k since the car was brand new.. I drove it off the lot with 3 miles, and I first checked the oil at 2,800mi and I was just below the "low" mark on the dipstick. I currently have 146k on the car and it still drives just as strong as the day I bought it.

Originally Posted By: sxg6
Unfortunately my 2009 Legacy has consumed around 1qt of oil every 2.5k-3k since the car was brand new.. I drove it off the lot with 3 miles, and I first checked the oil at 2,800mi and I was just below the "low" mark on the dipstick. I currently have 146k on the car and it still drives just as strong as the day I bought it.

I think of that level of consumption as merely an opportunity to top off with fresh oil partway through the OCI. Not all bad
smile.gif

Just hit 1500 miles on the Outback...was still full at 1000 but I better pull the stick again and see.

Have you done any aggressive driving sense you purchased the vehicle? I know modern engines break in quickly, but if your vehicle has only been driven gently so far some heavy acceleration and engine braking won't hurt.

Before our 2.5 got carboned up by my wifes lugging around, the FB25 ran like a highly tuned Porsche with the factory oil - smooth and torque all around. Garbage gasoline and marginal lube choice would temper its performance - also lack of spirited full throttle runs to clean 'er out. I will say t he EJ with the VVT and an insanely short stroke had more torque way up top of the rev band.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rationull

I think of that level of consumption as merely an opportunity to top off with fresh oil partway through the OCI. Not all bad
smile.gif

I would want to "pass" on that "opportunity"....
crackmeup2.gif

I have a 2GR-FE that uses 1/8 of a quart of oil in 5000 miles and it has 198,000 on the clock.

Originally Posted By: Doog

smile.gif

crackmeup2.gif

I have a 2GR-FE that uses 1/8 of a quart of oil in 5000 miles and it has 198,000 on the clock.

Well, you don't always get to choose, do you?

I don't think my 2.0 in the Crosstrek has consumed any oil in 3 changes, the FF, Toyota 0w20 and current fill of Royal Purple 0w20. Build date of 8/13

I'm currently looking for a new oil that may quiet and smooth the engine down a bit. Maybe go back go the OEM oil

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
I don't think my 2.0 in the Crosstrek has consumed any oil in 3 changes, the FF, Toyota 0w20 and current fill of Royal Purple 0w20. Build date of 8/13

I'm currently looking for a new oil that may quiet and smooth the engine down a bit. Maybe go back go the OEM oil

Good to know.

I checked the oil level the other day @ ~2400mi. Still midway between add and full, since my ~1800mi 1qt top-up.

I'm getting a little itchy to drain the FF and haven't decided which 0w20 to go with, or if I want to go with easier to get and (sometimes) less expensive 5w20. I see NAPA has their full synthetic on sale again, which includes the 0w20 for $3.49/qt.

I'm not sure anything would fully quiet the cold start rattle on these engines. FWIW, my 2012 EJ253 sounded bad on cold start too. I ran nothing but Napa full synth 5w30 in that.

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose

Good to know.

I checked the oil level the other day @ ~2400mi. Still midway between add and full, since my ~1800mi 1qt top-up.

I'm getting a little itchy to drain the FF and haven't decided which 0w20 to go with, or if I want to go with easier to get and (sometimes) less expensive 5w20. I see NAPA has their full synthetic on sale again, which includes the 0w20 for $3.49/qt.

I'm not sure anything would fully quiet the cold start rattle on these engines. FWIW, my 2012 EJ253 sounded bad on cold start too. I ran nothing but Napa full synth 5w30 in that.

If you decide to go with any 0w-20 other than the Subaru synthetic then please post your results. I've only run the Subaru oil but I've been thinking about M1 AFE for the next fill.

Originally Posted By: Doog

smile.gif

crackmeup2.gif

My 1GR-FE Taco uses almost none over 10K OCI @ 133K. (Probably has hi-tension rings, as the gas mileage is sure nothing to brag about!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back