History of PU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
So what's the scoop on the PUP that is better than PU or PP ha ha

Jeff

Actually, based on technical sheets, PUP has higher Noack than PU, so that's why people are on the hunt to buy out the last remaining stock of PU before PUP takes over.

Do you remember what the NOACK was on the PUP? I can't find the data sheets anywhere online. I can't even find the PUP website

I believe the PU NOACK is in the 6 range from what I last saw.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mossyoakglock
How do I tell the difference between the PU SM and SN version?

I bought PU a few weeks ago when my oil change was due and got the regular PU at Autozone. How do I know which "version" I got?

Not sure I understand your concern. One says "API SM" and the other says "API SN" on the label.

I can't even find the PUP website

As usual, SOPUS is slow to update the Pennzoil.com website. They did create a site for Pure Plus (includes both new Platinum and Ultra Platinum), but there isn't much there at present...

http://pureplus.pennzoil.com/

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How do I tell the difference between the PU SM and SN version?

I bought PU a few weeks ago when my oil change was due and got the regular PU at Autozone. How do I know which "version" I got?

Not sure I understand your concern. One says "API SM" and the other says "API SN" on the label.

Well that makes it easy. I wasn't sure if there was something technical you had to look for and didn't think it would say it right on the bottle.

From the little google searching I did it seems I can't go wrong with either SN or SM PU but SN would be the better of the two, correct?

Originally Posted By: rikstaker
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_States_Pennzoil_Ultra_Platinum_5W-30_%28SN_GF-5%29_%28en-US%29_TDS.pdf

noack is 11.5

Do you have the new PP technical sheet too? Can't find that one either.

Better?

PDS is just a few numbers on a sheet of paper. It doesn't really tell you how the ad pack is structured, and how the oil will perform in your engine.

Wouldn't you expect the higher tier oil to have better numbers. Yes I know there just numbers on paper, but still. For the lower tier oil to have a higher vi and a lower Noack makes me believe the PUP PDS is flawed. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Ultra platinum has slightly higher Viscosity Index and slightly better MRV spec with a tradeoff in noack, but we cant compare two oils on pds alone, must wait for VOA/uoa to see how the add pack differs.

Originally Posted By: richport29
Wouldn't you expect the higher tier oil to have better numbers. Yes I know there just numbers on paper, but still. For the lower tier oil to have a higher vi and a lower Noack makes me believe the PUP PDS is flawed. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

ultra's VI is 173, platinum is 170.

Originally Posted By: rikstaker
Originally Posted By: richport29

ultra's VI is 173, platinum is 170.

Just noticed that, I'm on my cell
smile.gif

I think old PU was 167 VI and 7% NOACK. I wouldn't trade off a 80% increase in NOACK for a 4% increase in VI. I think SOPUS is crazy for releasing PUP with weaker specs than PPPP. How are people supposed to tell which is the better oil?

Since P4 will be available everywhere, and PUP will likely be a chase around game again, I'll take P4 since they are so close.

From the little google searching I did it seems I can't go wrong with either SN or SM PU but SN would be the better of the two, correct?

Can't go wrong? Of course you can go wrong! You could spill it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back