trunk mount trans cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
The vehicle is a 1994 volvo 940 turbo. I just had my transmission rebuilt and I installed a Hayden remote mount transmission cooler with a 650 CFM fan and a thermostat and relay set on at 180, off and 165, I also put a inline catridge filter mounted sideways, he says you can't mount a oil filter sideways. But the guy who built my transmission said not to run the inline filter as it may cause too much restriction and burn out my transmission at high RPMs what do you guys think?

Are you mounting your transmission cooler in the trunk of your car? Even with a fan, that sounds like a poor place to put it. Long distance run equals significant pressure drop. Have added inline filters and coolers to nearly every vehicle I have owned with nothing but long transmission life results.

What filter brand and part number are you using?

I'm torn between

"I can't believe the Volvo engineers didn't do it that way in the first place."

and

"Where does the spare tire go?"

Seriously what ATF temperatures were you seeing that you needed this much cooling?

Originally Posted By: vorteXtreme759
My temps where 250 when hammering the gas I run the turbo at 25psi.

Well that's obviously a problem. I assume this pretty much fixed that and you're down under 200?

33.gif

Is the fan blowing into the trunk or out? I would have it blow out of the trunk so that you don't get a face full of hot air when you open your trunk...

Originally Posted By: vorteXtreme759
The vehicle is a 1994 volvo 940 turbo. I just had my transmission rebuilt and I installed a Hayden remote mount transmission cooler with a 650 CFM fan and a thermostat and relay set on at 180, off and 165, I also put a inline catridge filter mounted sideways, he says you can't mount a oil filter sideways. But the guy who built my transmission said not to run the inline filter as it may cause too much restriction and burn out my transmission at high RPMs what do you guys think?
That's a hideous location. Take that puppy and mount it in front of the radiator.

Use a filter with a built in bypass, I use Motorcraft FL1A for my tranny. Never had a problem. Depending on the size and length of your tranny cooler lines, you may or may not have enough restriction to be an issue, but the filter is not an issue. And yes, you can mount a filter sideways like you did, no problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back