Please help me choose the best car for my oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Zako2
just pour the superior a 5W30 or even 10W30 oil without voiding the warranty.

Edsel_Citation_Convertible_1958.jpg

I have 2 of these, a 1986 GLHT and a 1987 NA. Will run forever on any oil, even used oil in a pinch. Just change the head gasket every 100k miles or so.

1990_Dodge_Omni.JPG

The Omni and Horizon were the first front-wheel drive cars in the Dodge and Plymouth lineup, the first front-wheel drive transverse engine production car in the North American market, and among the first American built front-wheel drive cars to sell in large numbers. The Omni almost reached the 1 million unit mark, but production stopped in 1990; with a total of 961,508 Omni/Horizons assembled.

More info at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Omni

Wayne

Which were, of course, attempts by Chrysler to clone the already popular Volkswagen Rabbit. Chrysler purchased Rabbits and disassembled them in order to reverse engineer whatever they could. Chrysler didn't have a four cylinder engine they could use at first, so they purchased Rabbit engines for several years until they could build an engine of their own.

I owned a 1979 model, a two-tone green four door. It was without a doubt the worst quality vehicle I have ever owned. Except for the Volkswagen engine, that wasn't too bad.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
The Omni and Horizon were the first front-wheel drive cars in the Dodge and Plymouth lineup, the first front-wheel drive transverse engine production car in the North American market, and among the first American built front-wheel drive cars to sell in large numbers. The Omni almost reached the 1 million unit mark, but production stopped in 1990; with a total of 961,508 Omni/Horizons assembled.

More info at:

Wayne

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
A serious answer to a silly question: anything with a GM 5.3, check out my UOA in that forum. Same oil, great results.

There was nothing serious about it
smile.gif

A serious answer to a silly question: anything with a GM 5.3, check out my UOA in that forum. Same oil, great results.

Well if we want to split hairs the new 5.3 specs 0w20.

I call [censored] on any 5w30 being the best. Vival la 10w40 dino in a prius in northern canada in February!!!!

Last edited:
Great thread, and I've nearly posted same before...if I buy a case of TGMO, does that justify me buying a BRZ Subaru ?

Had similar thoughts at work yesterday when one of my co-workers was talking about his dyno forays...in my words, he'd achieved "tyre pressure boost crossover"...more pressure in his manifold than in his tyres...32psi in his Mitsubishi on E85.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Viola!

yugo.jpg

You are crazy. Yugo specified 20W40. I know it because I had one. Sadly, that was before I knew about BITOG and used 10W40 instead.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Viola!

yugo.jpg

You are crazy. Yugo specified 20W40. I know it because I had one. Sadly, that was before I knew about BITOG and used 10W40 instead.

For starters, check the date on the calendar...

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Which were, of course, attempts by Chrysler to clone the already popular Volkswagen Rabbit. Chrysler purchased Rabbits and disassembled them in order to reverse engineer whatever they could. Chrysler didn't have a four cylinder engine they could use at first, so they purchased Rabbit engines for several years until they could build an engine of their own.

I owned a 1979 model, a two-tone green four door. It was without a doubt the worst quality vehicle I have ever owned. Except for the Volkswagen engine, that wasn't too bad.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I have 2 of these, a 1986 GLHT and a 1987 NA. Will run forever on any oil, even used oil in a pinch. Just change the head gasket every 100k miles or so.

1990_Dodge_Omni.JPG

More info at:

Wayne

The Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon was designed by Chrysler Europe, the former Simca and Rootes; most of the engineering appears to have been done in France, where Simca made best-sellers and the inspiration for the Volkswagen Rabbit.

(Full story on its development - as told by the design team).
http://www.allpar.com/omni/horizon-c2.html

With the 2.2 liter engine and a manual transmission, they were quick, but as economy cars, they did not have a reputation for speed. The Omni GLH and GLHS would change that - for those in the know.

Check it out. Facts are facts....

Wayne

I often peruse craigslist looking at Fords for my FL-400S and other equivalent oil filters. I do not have a ford.

Viola.jpg

Viola!

yugo.jpg

For starters, check the date on the calendar...

I can read the calendar OK.
2013, year after the world was supposed to end in 2012. We live on a borrowed time. Sounds like we just started 4th month of that already.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Great thread, and I've nearly posted same before...if I buy a case of TGMO, does that justify me buying a BRZ Subaru ?

Had similar thoughts at work yesterday when one of my co-workers was talking about his dyno forays...in my words, he'd achieved "tyre pressure boost crossover"...more pressure in his manifold than in his tyres...32psi in his Mitsubishi on E85.

Tire pressure-boost crossover.
Now that's a good one.

As far as the omni goes I had one. Great little car. 5 speed,2.2 engine. My girl at the time drove it without oil. She pulled in an I could hear the top end clacking really badly so I asked her how
On its sounded like that.
A week or so she says,I was working out of town at the time. So I pop the hood,no oil shows on the dipstick. I put 4 litres in.
She drove that car for 3 more years til she rolled it.
Its funny you know. There was a time in my life where vehicle maintenance was a whenever type thing,and my vehicles still went into spaceship type mileages. Now I obsess about it and they don't seem to last any longer.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
There was a time in my life where vehicle maintenance was a whenever type thing,and my vehicles still went into spaceship type mileages. Now I obsess about it and they don't seem to last any longer.

Yup, that MoS2 must be plugging the engines of yours.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
...32psi in his Mitsubishi on E85.

Naw, Not on Obamajuice. Really. What's this new fangled world commin to.

2013, year after the world was supposed to end in 2012. We live on a borrowed time. Sounds like we just started 4th month of that already.

If you are being serious then you need a new calendar...

Originally Posted By: jhellwig

Well if we want to split hairs the new 5.3 specs 0w20.

I call [censored] on any 5w30 being the best. Vival la 10w40 dino in a prius in northern canada in February!!!!

You got me! I'm not sold on AFM and 0w-20 oil yet...
5w-30 in 20 years will be the 20w-50 of today...

If you are being serious then you need a new calendar...

C'mon, no one is serious today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back