How to check if oil control rings are ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car (3.5L Diamante) consumes oil.

It does not smoke on cold start up.
It smokes when it idles a bit and I depress the throttle suddenly.
Uses 1 quart to about 1,300 miles roughly.

Runs smooth, quiet and has good power.
118K miles, full service history.

I was told if it was the valve seals that there would be smoke on cold start up but there is none.

I know I can do a wet/dry compression test to test the piston rings, but what if just the oil control rings are worn?

A teardown, all 4 Teardowns I have witness only 1 of the 4 engines was actually outside the car. Oil Control ring was the culprit each time as all compression tests read good numbers.

1ZZ-FE (fixed)
2ZZ-GE (fixed)
2AZ-FE (coming 2014 summer, same issue)
D16Y7 (fixed, sold separately just the engine)
D16Y7 (coming 2015 summer, same issue)

All were neglected by previous owners expect the 2AZ-FE, it was run on cheapest Dino since new at 3-4k OCI. Using Full Synthetic oil was dramatically reduced oil consumption, but that may not work on every engine.

One test I've heard is to take it out on the highway in lower gear, so it's spinning fast, say, 5500 rpm. Then coast down to about 3000, and hit it to see what sort of smoke comes out.

I could never get anything with that test, nor did I ever see smoke at startup or any other time.

01_celica_gt, are you saying the oil control rings can be changed with the engine in the car?

JHZR2, I thought this was to check valve seals? As the high vacuum situation would cause oil to build up from the top?

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
A teardown, all 4 Teardowns I have witness only 1 of the 4 engines was actually outside the car. Oil Control ring was the culprit each time as all compression tests read good numbers.

1ZZ-FE (fixed)
2ZZ-GE (fixed)
2AZ-FE (coming 2014 summer, same issue)
D16Y7 (fixed, sold separately just the engine)
D16Y7 (coming 2015 summer, same issue)

All were neglected by previous owners expect the 2AZ-FE, it was run on cheapest Dino since new at 3-4k OCI. Using Full Synthetic oil was dramatically reduced oil consumption, but that may not work on every engine.

How many miles on the 2AZFE?

Originally Posted By: Spetz
01_celica_gt, are you saying the oil control rings can be changed with the engine in the car?

JHZR2, I thought this was to check valve seals? As the high vacuum situation would cause oil to build up from the top?

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/131-8th-generation-1998-2002/402362-diy-oil-consumption-fix.html

That same concept can be applied to any engine I guess, as far as my cars, it worked and should work on the ones that are to go through with this process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back