New to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i have been learning a lot.... i think. the past few days from reading posts on this forum. I bought my first vehicle that is actually mine this weekend my parents have all oil changes done by the dealer but, i want to do it my self. I am trying to decide what oil to use on my new to me truck. Its a 2003 Ram 1500 4.7 V8 with 80k on it and has had conventional all its life. as far as i can tell it has no leaks. I want to use a synthetic probably M1 or Royal Purple i like changing oil i do it on my uncles cars often and would let these full synthetics only go about 8k i would use the filters that each company makes for that oil respectively. any advice is greatly appreciated, is it a bad idea to switch to one of these hi quality synthetics i have seen a lot of both sides on the forum i would rather not use a hi milage and also a recommendation on a good air filter would also be great. thanks I'm glad to be able to post.

also this truck is mostly driven for a 10-15 min at a time. and i drive fairly hard i think. the recommended oil is a 5w-30 and where i live the summer temps can reach 100 and in the winter -15 or so id prefer not to have to switch oil types seasonally so the 5w-30 would be the best i think

Originally Posted By: Samf333
I want to use a synthetic probably M1 or Royal Purple. I like changing oil I do it on my uncles cars often and would let these full synthetics only go about 8k. I would use the filters that each company makes for that oil respectively. Any advice is greatly appreciated, is it a bad idea to switch to one of these hi quality synthetics I have seen a lot of both sides on the forum. I would rather not use a hi mileage and also a recommendation on a good air filter would also be great. Thanks, I'm glad to be able to post.

M1 5W30 is a good synthetic oil that you can buy for around $25 5-qt jug at Walmart, other synthetic such as Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Synpower, Castro Edge ... are very good too. When you first change oil from dino to synthetic you need to check the oil level at least once a month, because the first change to synthetic the engine may consume some oil.

I don't think Royal Purple at $35 5-qt jug is $10 better than M1, PP ...

Any name brand oil filter is more than good enough for 8-10k miles oil change interval. If if it makes you feel better and sleep tighter, try Fram Ultra oil filter, it is the best oil filter for less than $10. Fram Ultra can easily used for 15-20k miles in a reasonable clean engine.

For air filter, I think OEM/Dodge dealer filter is the best, other than that Fram air filter is very good too.

Last edited:
dont bother with royal purple... too expensive. Mobil 1 and penzzoil plat or penz. ultra are much better choices...

Plz buy from walmart, it will save you a ton. filters are best picked up from amazon specially if on sale if you have prime.

welcome

Welcome to BITOG!

welcome2.gif
welcome2.gif

I think you're fine with any of the oils that you've selected, they all exceed the specs for your application and drain interval...so, my personal recommendation would be to choose one that you can get easily and inexpensively (I am always looking for a deal, personally). You can look at my sig, I am not an advocate for any particular brand, but I have found some great deals on oil...and they've all worked well...

M1 5w30 on 8k mile change interval is reasonable. Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra would also be good oils at about the same price. I don't think Royal Purple would be worth the extra $10-12 for an oil change, though. (If you could find it on sale at a competitive price, it would be OK.)

I wouldn't bother with an M1 filter, though. It only has synthetic blend media. Fram Ultra or NAPA Platinum have fully synthetic media. You can buy Fram Ultra at WalMart for less than $10.

by ok do are you saying worse than m1 and should i use m1 high milage or high milage of any of the synthetics that have been recommended?

Any synthetic 5W-30 at Walmart will work IMO - and if you're only going to use it once for 8k, then any of the cheap filters at Walmart - including the $3.27 Purolator. If you get a leak with synthetic, go back to conventional 5W-30 - if the leak persists, then go to a High Mileage Synthetic blend like MaxLife. I, personally, have not had good luck with High Mileage synthetic doing anything to contain or slow down a leak.

I like Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30.

Depending on where in IL/WI you are: Most Wal-Marts in NE IL carry Platinum and Ultra. Most Wal-Marts in SE WI carry Platinum but not Ultra.

Mobil 1 would also be a good choice.

Don't write off good conventionals. Pennzoil and Quaker State conventional can be had for cheap at Wal-Mart, or on sale at Menards or Blain's Farm and Fleet.

Mopar filters are fine. Quaker State filters (Purolator clone sold at Menards) are fine too, and they are under $3 regular price, under $2 on sale.

Congrats on the truck, BTW. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Regular oil changes and car washes are your friend.

Thanks I go to UW-Whitewater, and am from the NW Suburbs of Chicago. What kind of repairs could would need to be done to stop a synthetic leak? (valves?)
Depending on where in IL/WI you are: Most Wal-Marts in NE IL carry Platinum and Ultra. Most Wal-Marts in SE WI carry Platinum but not Ultra.

Would it be wise to change filters after the first 2k on my first oil change with synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back