sentra 1.8 only a 3 qt fill...dino or synthethtic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
since a sentra 1.8 engine only is a 3 qt fill, do I need to change the oil more often using dino...or just put in a quality synthetic and run for one year...car does 7-8 thousand miles /yr

Personally I would use a major brand syn and change at 5k if you are planning to own the car for 10 plus years. If not then change with conventional every 4k, or syn at 6k. Just mho

I had a 98 that I ran dino oil for 5,000 miles. I gave the car to my brother in law with over 200,000 miles, and the engine ran fine. The body will rust away before the engine fails due to oil.

A three quart oil pan is a death sentence for any kind of car engine.

Nissan actually says 2.9 quarts. Unbelievable.

My 1991 pathfinder with its 3.0 V6 only holds 3.25 QTS, I change oil and filter every 4k miles with 5w30 Dino and it now has 235K miles with Zero oil consumption. Will start using Fram ultra and run it for 3 OCI..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Not really. I had over 400 horsepower at the wheels in a sr20det with a 3.5 qt sump in a Nissan 240sx 10 years ago and it never missed a beat for years. That was with mobil 1 10w30. I changed it every 5k of track abuse and hot temperatures. Those motors had cooling fins in the head and oil squiters. So while not ideal, it is definitely not a death sentence.

With a little commuter, I would do the cheapest conventional 5w30 on sale and change it every 4k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lucerne06
since a sentra 1.8 engine only is a 3 qt fill, do I need to change the oil more often using dino...or just put in a quality synthetic and run for one year...car does 7-8 thousand miles /yr

Synthetic and run it 5000. If you want to increase the sump volume you can always add a large oil cooler.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I've been a long time lurker here at Bitog. I own a 2001 Sentra 1.8. I can confirm that the oil capacity is 2 7/8 quarts. While I enjoy the low cost oil changes, I have used Mobil 1 since I bought the car with 36k miles and changed it every 5k.

The QG18DE is not hard on oil, but I do worry about the low capacity. Combined with an idiot light that only comes on when you have NO oil, it can be nerve racking if you have even a small oil leak.

I've also noticed the Nissan Oil filters I've been using are smaller than before, which means it's even slightly less than 2.9 Quarts.

If you could elaborate, why would you say it's a death sentence? I have thought about adding an Oil Cooler. My car doesn't come with one stock since it's a M/T.

Yeah that 2.9qt capacity was around for quite some time and I don't believe I've ever heard of a lubrication related issue with one. We bought a new Nissan Sentra GXE back in 2001 that had the ~2.9qt sump.

My old 1996 Sentra w/ the 1.6L engine had a 3.5qt sump, so does my new car, the hyundai accent.

It's typical for foreign cars, whereas most domestics have a higher sump quantity.

My friends 2.3L Ford Escape takes 5 quarts but my Uncles 4.7L OHV V8 Durango takes 5 quarts as well.

Those Sentras are tough little cars. I'm pretty sure my co-worker never changed the oil and that car ran forever.

I think you could probably get away with changing once a year with a high quality synthetic. That said, I'd change at 5K for piece of mind.

Originally Posted By: whip
I had a 98 that I ran dino oil for 5,000 miles. I gave the car to my brother in law with over 200,000 miles, and the engine ran fine. The body will rust away before the engine fails due to oil.

Your engine apparently didn't get the memo from Merkava.

With only a 3 quart sump, suggest you consider a quality synthetic and change the oil and filter every 6 months with all the short trips that only add up to 7 or 8K annually.

If your driving habits are not severe (you take longer hwy trips 2 or 3 time a month, my suggestion would be the following;
Mobil1 1 (guaranteed to 10K), and change once a year (7 to 8K). A good mid-range filter such as a Pureolator PureOne, should be able to handle the filtering issue.

If your vehicle is exclusively a 'short tripper', then Mobile 1, and change out every 5000. You then can go to a Pureolator CLASSIC filter.

Whatever Dino oil that is on sale, even store brand oils, as long as they meet the specs.

For a vehicle like a Sentra.....less is better. Don't throw good money out the window when the vehicle is perfectly fine with running conventional oil.

Whatever Dino oil that is on sale, even store brand oils, as long as they meet the specs.

For a vehicle like a Sentra.....less is better. Don't throw good money out the window when the vehicle is perfectly fine with running conventional oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back