Yamaha Bolt Rotella 15W40 UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post and fist UOA.
boltuoanoname_zps1a45ae74.png
[/img]

This is the only way I could figure out how to upload my UOA. I'm sure there's an easier way.

The viscosity of 11.7 puts it down in the 30W range. I use another lab for my tests and when I once had a 11.6 they flagged it as "caution". If its run another 900 miles as suggested, I'd think it would be way down in the lower 30, maybe even 20 range.

Frankly, I don't have any idea of how low the oil might shear and still be serviceable, but I guess I'd change it at 4,000 miles.

Interested to see what the Guru's say about this.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Frankly, I don't have any idea of how low the oil might shear and still be serviceable,

Once the shifting becomes clunky, it's typically a good sign that it has sheared enough to warrant a change.
smile.gif

I'm new to the UOA world. My brother has a plane and sends a sample to Blackstone every oil change. I just figured I'd give it a try with my bike to see if rotella was doing it's job. So I really have no idea what any of the numbers mean outside of what Blackstone is telling me. I'll be glad to see what everyone says about it on here.

Shifting was still very smooth on my last change. My fuel injection had been out of sync for some time while running that oil. I'm guessing that's probably why I had some fuel in there.

Rotella T 15w-40 is highly regarded here, not only as an HDEO, but also as a motorcycle oil. It's quite shear stable. But if there was in fact fuel dilution, then no oil can combat that and will end up shearing.

By the way, SOPUS just released Rotella T5 15w-40 which is a synthetic blend. It'll be interesting to see how this new oil fares in motorcycle applications. I expect it'll do great.

I use photobucket. I just copy the direct link to the photo from photobucket's page, and then paste it here and wrap it in
tags.

That is a good report considering the miles the Rotella was in use. Rotella T 15W40 conventional starts with a cST of 15.5, so it only dropped 3.8 in 4000 miles. Your Bolt features a unit design, shared sump for clutch, gears, engine yes? Gotta love Rotella.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
That is a good report considering the miles the Rotella was in use. Rotella T 15W40 conventional starts with a cST of 15.5, so it only dropped 3.8 in 4000 miles. Your Bolt features a unit design, shared sump for clutch, gears, engine yes? Gotta love Rotella.

It sure is. I'm not sure how much smoother it shifts with Rotella since that's all I've put in it since draining the break in oil at 600 miles. The clunk it had with the break in oil almost completely disappeared when I drained it and put rotella in. I knew it would be better, but not as good as it is. I talked my dad into trying it in his ultra glide, and he loves it. He had problems getting it into neutral running Harley oil, but it falls right it with rotella. I love this stuff.

some um...less than correct analysis above....ug

that fuel totally screwed both your susvis and your flash.

the iron, lead, tin, copper may or may not be high for that motor.
4k is some miles for sure. more than half of the motors life on that 1 uoa.
silicon of just 6 is pretty awesome. keep up that great air filter!!!

steve

Originally Posted By: sunruh
some um...less than correct analysis above....ug

that fuel totally screwed both your susvis and your flash.

the iron, lead, tin, copper may or may not be high for that motor.
4k is some miles for sure. more than half of the motors life on that 1 uoa.
silicon of just 6 is pretty awesome. keep up that great air filter!!!

steve

Thanks Steve. It has the factory installed air filter in it. After break in, the fuel injection got more and more out of sync, which I think is where the fuel came from in the oil. It got to where I would get an occasional cylinder misfire on decel. I synced it up around 500 miles before my oil change. I'm hoping the next one shows less fuel.

winner winner chicken dinner
there ya go!!!

3500mi with bad efi...you are lucky the fuel was as low as just 0.5% hopefully you burnt off a fair amount of what was prolly much more.

regardless of the fuel...you got a great baseline for the metals.

Thanks for the oil analysis austinhyd, our UOA thread was starting to collect some dust! Considering you just went 4K miles on the oil with such overall low mileage, the wear numbers look great; especially when compared to universal averages with over 25% less mileage. The oil definitely sheared down to a 30 grade, but when factoring in the mileage and your fuel injection issues causing excess fuel dilution the Rotella appears to have held up well. Your silicon levels as noted earlier are nice and low, especially when considering Rotella uses roughly 4 PPM of silicon in their formulation as an anti-foaming agent.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/May 2013/rotella.htm

Awesome looking photo of your Bolt btw, keep on riding and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back