Too much tcw3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to tell the gap from a picture, but it looks like the gap is too big and the plug is oil fouled. Does the car use any oil?

It does use some, judging by what I have read here it isn't an unusual amount. I have only been paying close attention recently, so I can't say for certain how much per 1000 miles or anything. I started using HM oil and doing my own oil changes after finding this site a few months ago, and it appears to have greatly slowed the loss of oil. Before I would usually have to add 2 quarts by the time the change oil light came on. I have no idea how the OLM in my car works, it seemed to light up about once a year. I do lots of short trips (I work like a mile and a half from home, so I have been walking while my car has been out) and just started doing shorter ~3k ocis.

That plug is SOOOO wet with the blue colored Super Tech stuff (I just bought some), that I suspect you have a SPARK problem of some sort causing your no start condition.

That plug looks like there was NO ignition/combustion at all.

Did you remove it AFTER cranking the engine for a while with the no start/catch condition??

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
That plug is SOOOO wet with the blue colored Super Tech stuff (I just bought some), that I suspect you have a SPARK problem of some sort causing your no start condition.

Did you remove it AFTER cranking the engine for a while with the no start/catch condition??

Yes, a friend advised me to crank the engine a few times just before pulling the plug to inspect it. Plus when it first happened the previous day I cranked it quite a bit hoping it would eventually start :p

My current plan of action is to pull, clean, and check/adjust gap on the plugs and then see if it starts. Thoughts?

I also got a ride and picked up a gas can and added 5 gallons to the tank.

This reminds me of when I was dosing my car's gas with a high-viscosity ester 2 stroke oil. The oil didn't burn completely and the oil seeped up the spark plug threads.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Nice diagnosis. I bet if the engine fired and ran there'd be no problems to report.

Its looking like I might have some much more serious problems
frown.gif
May be time for a new car. Was hoping to be able to take this baby to at least 150k.

There just is not enough information in this thread to diagnose the problem for you.

I'd love to help, and I find it hard to believe that the engine is suddenly toast (without some catastrophic event) (maybe you did not tell us??? )

Engines can be made to run quite well with all sorts of mechanical problems. In fact, some engines can be made to produce FULL POWER without any piston rings at all! (some aircraft engines were tested this way many years ago) And, of course, model aircraft engines often have no rings.

My point is this, do some troubleshooting before giving up.

Well, when I pulled the plug to look at it I cracked it. I went to the store yesterday and bought a replacement. When I opened the hood to install it I noticed the coolant was gone. All of it. It all leaked out. Can't find anything obvious inside the engine compartment or on the ground, and it isn't in the oil thankfully.

I haven't given up, was just in a bad mood when I posted that. One of my friends is being rather pessimistic and unhelpful about this situation. Best case is the coolant is unrelated and there is some not terribly serious issue with the fuel or spark. I am kind of worried it is a head, head gasket, or an intake manifold problem (these engines are supposed to be pretty bulletproof...except for the intake manifold), though.

it should warm up today, a little, so I am going to check for spark. I bought one of those spark checkers that you install between the plug and the wire. Gunna be warm but rainy until sunday
frown.gif

I am also [censored] I paid a stupid amount for the shop to basically replace the plugs and wires to fix this 2 months ago. When its pretty obvious now they only treated the symptom and not the root cause.

PS. I checked the gap on the plug, it was fine.

PPS. I appreciate any help you guys can give, this is stressing me out
frown.gif

You can use a sparkplug to check for spark.

You can also use a screwdriver. No need to spend money.

You still have not given us enough information to help.

Let's start at the top.

1) What engine
2) Do you have a coolant leak? If so, where? If you don't know, find out.
3) Do you have spark?
4) Do you have fuel pressure?
5) Do you have a can of starting fluid to help it start?
6) Did you try to put an ounce of gas in the intake to help it start?
7) Did you change the plugs
8) Intact engines need only 3 things. 1) fuel, 2) spark, 3) rotation. With that in mind, always start with the basics.

The lack of coolant is a big red flag. Determine where it's going.

You guys don't get it. He *wants* a new car. Why are you not helping him to achieve his goal?

OP, you are absolutely right. This is a piece of junk. Get rid of it and buy something that you have always wanted. You have not told us what you like though.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
You can use a sparkplug to check for spark.

You can also use a screwdriver. No need to spend money.

You still have not given us enough information to help.

Let's start at the top.

1) What engine
2) Do you have a coolant leak? If so, where? If you don't know, find out.
3) Do you have spark?
4) Do you have fuel pressure?
5) Do you have a can of starting fluid to help it start?
6) Did you try to put an ounce of gas in the intake to help it start?
7) Did you change the plugs
8) Intact engines need only 3 things. 1) fuel, 2) spark, 3) rotation. With that in mind, always start with the basics.

The lack of coolant is a big red flag. Determine where it's going.

Engine is a GM 3800 Series 2
Spark is unknown. Could not find a helper to test it today.
Fuel pressure is also unknown.
I have some starting fluid somewhere.
Have not put gas into the intake.
I have not changed the plugs. The current ones are only about 2 months and ~1000 miles old. I had the same problem then (minus the disappearing coolant), and it ran great until the day this issue popped up.

Any tips on how to find out where the coolant is going? One of the hard lines coming out of the radiator looks like it has a minor leak where it joins a flexible hose. The hose was slightly damp and grimy, and there was a small stain/drop mark just under it a few inches across. Thats the only evidence of a leak I can see, but I am not sure if there's something else I should look for.

Spark plug gap is .060"

Originally Posted By: Stregone

Any tips on how to find out where the coolant is going? One of the hard lines coming out of the radiator looks like it has a minor leak where it joins a flexible hose.

Your intake manifold is very likely the problem.

yup it appears it is. Just took a closer look. Definitely a major leak at the lower intake gasket.

EDIT: How can I check to make sure no other major damage occurred? Hopefully its unlikely because it dumped all the coolant while it was not running.

Last edited:
Its not the manifold itself. The manifold is actually not original if I am reading the date code on it correctly. It appears to have been manufactured in '06, and the car is a '98.

Wet plug, missing coolant, no start, Buick 3.8.... Ummmm are you sure the missing coolant isn't related? I've seen 3.8's leak coolant into the upper intake plenum and foul plugs.

It's the intake manifold gasket. A known issue on these engines.
I seriously doubt any harm came to the motor,change the gasket and motor on for 300k more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back