Changing oil tomorrow help me choose......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need help now my walmart has every brand 0w-20 I like and I'm changing my 2014 altima sl 4cyl oil tomorrow. What's worse is all the same price. Mobil1 advance fuel, mobil1 ep, Carstrol edge, all $25.17 now currently run afe with no complaints but if ep is same price and let's me run longer oci why not right? But it doesn't specify fuel economy either like afe does? And last the Carstrol I noticed a lot of users here really liked some favored so I'm torn. I know they are all great but on paper since they cost the same is one better spec wise and or would one be more suitable for my motor? Help appreciated.

factory oci for warranty is 7500?
dealer uses M-1 0w20- good prices at WM right now.
can't go wrong with it.

If your manual allows you to run 5w-20 Walmart has coupons of $12 off of 2 jugs of Valvoline synpower. Good oil, always gives great UOAs. Would make them about $19 a piece.

Merkava can't nissan shrunk oil pump it requires 0w-20 to prevent premature failure. If dealer uses mobil1 I could stick with afe or ep

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
If your manual allows you to run 5w-20 Walmart has coupons of $12 off of 2 jugs of Valvoline synpower. Good oil, always gives great UOAs. Would make them about $19 a piece.
I checked for coupons where do they have them?

Originally Posted By: ccapital83
Merkava can't nissan shrunk oil pump it requires 0w-20 to prevent premature failure. If dealer uses mobil1 I could stick with afe or ep

Shrunk the oil pump? So all the Altima's sold up north or in Australia are going to blow up? LOL

Here is the info right from the 2014 Altima manual:
"As an alternative to this recommended oil, SAE 5W-30 conventional petroleum oils may be used and meet all specifications and requirements necessary to maintain the New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

10W30 can also be used.

I talked to nissan and they highly advise against it this has also been covered in a forum on a nissan post the oil pump is smaller than previous years and is why they switched to recommending 0w-20 that came directly from nissan the company of the car no offense I'm sticking to what they say they make the vehicle I was just looking for brand preference as posted not weights.

If buying from WalMart, I would go with M1 AFE 0w-20 and Fram Ultra filter.

Go entire length of the Oil Life Monitor, or max OCI the manual allows.

I was just looking for brand preference as posted not weights.

Good move. There's no reason to ever use a 10W oil. Stick to 0W. When you have 300K on it, you could go to 0W-30 or 0W-40 to minimize oil consumption.

Yes now the ep and afe same price I was concerned the ep would yield different mileage since they don't specify on bottle improve gas mileage like afe does?

Last edited:
I was just pointing out that using weights besides 0W20 is approved. I have also not seen any documentation where using these weights would cause any damage.

That said, there are plenty of nice 0W20's. I would probably grab a jug of AFE from Wally World and call it a day.

Op

There is no gain using EP at warranty specified intervals so unless you plan on extending the interval just use AFE.
A member here FX used AFE in his 5.4 ford for 22000 miles and the oil was analyzed and still had life left n
AFE has proven over and over again to be a high quality oil,so stick with it.
Either way you'll not see much of a fuel economy change however I'd use the AFE until a longer interval can be run,after warranty expiration.

Originally Posted By: Islandvic

+1

Stick with a 20-weight synthetic to keep the warranty / dealership happy. The EP version of Mobil 1 AFE isn't necessary as Clevy said.

IF you need to top-off during the summer heat, a 5W-30 is fine.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Shrunk the oil pump? So all the Altima's sold up north or in Australia are going to blow up? LOL

Here is the info right from the 2014 Altima manual:
"As an alternative to this recommended oil, SAE 5W-30 conventional petroleum oils may be used and meet all specifications and requirements necessary to maintain the New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

10W30 can also be used.

I went and downloaded the 2014 Nissan Altima owners manual and I'm afraid he's right.

They're saying 0W-20 for the QR25DE 4-cyl engine and 5W-30 for the VQ35DE V6 engine.

Thanks for having my back though.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Originally Posted By: Islandvic

+1

Stick with a 20-weight synthetic to keep the warranty / dealership happy. The EP version of Mobil 1 AFE isn't necessary as Clevy said.

IF you need to top-off during the summer heat, a 5W-30 is fine.

Exactly. At Walmart prices of 26 bucks a jug its a no brainer to run a synthetic. Only a dummy would turn their back on that kind of deal considering the benefits a synthetic provides.
If running short intervals of 3000 miles or less I agree that a syn isn't required however why run such short intervals,unless there's an engine problem of course.
Its cheaper per mile to run a synthetic. Longer drains,better oil for not much more money.
Like I said. No brainer.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
I checked for coupons where do they have them?

+1 I would rather use that because of the cost being 6 dollars cheaper for you which will cover most of the cost of Fram Ultra oil filter.

That coupon is on coupon.com APP for smart phone.
If your afraid to download it, I'm more then happy to give people two of my coupons from coupon.com $12 off 2 (5quart) jugs of Valvoline SynPower

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back