AC Delco Ultraguard Gold - $1.12 each

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't seen these filters for sale in eons, they seem to have gone the way of the dodo. While shopping at Rockauto I stumbled across a closeout on these for $1.12 each. The shipping costs at Rockauto can sometimes get out of hand, but if you buy enough of these, you can get them for a very low price.

All the closeout deals tend to come from the same warehouse, so you can combine these with wiper blades, light bulbs, other stuff that's on sale for pennies on the dollar, and then the shipping isn't such a nuisance.

I ordered eight though I wanted to order a lot more. I find that when I stock up on oil filters, I end up trading in or selling the vehicle before I ever get to use them all. I have at least three or four filter types (several to a dozen of each) that I can't use.. But at least once, I've bought a vehicle that used the same oil filter as a previous one.. So I tell myself they will serve a purpose-- someday!

The size in question is a UPF2, aka PH8A (in Fram terminology). Most larger Ford engines from the 80's and 90's use this filter. If you have the room (i.e. if the filter fits), you can run a PH8A equivalent filter in place of a PH16. Luckily my old Ford pickup and my Land Rover Discovery can both run the PH8A-- maybe I will get through all these after all!

I have no idea if this filter is available in other sizes, but for the price you can't go wrong. Can't say I've ever run this filter before, but it seems to be of a premium variety... Anyone know the specifics of this filter, Ultraguard Gold? Synthetic media? Clearly there's a silicone gasket and threaded end bypass, but can't discern much else by looking at it.

Appears the ADBV may be nitrile rubber, but as the filter is mounted near-vertically on both my vehicles, this is a non-issue for me.

m7yj.jpg

33rv.jpg

Don't remember these but I'm sure they were the step up from the regular blue filter. Must have never caught on.
Date on the box is 04/21/99 so these are 15 years old.

Not sure if the integrity of the media holds up that long even being un used. FWIW Fram considers 8 years too old for their resellers to keep product on the shelf.

Not saying it is bad but be cautious and cut used filters open to verify integrity.

Good point about the age of the filters. Someone the other day cut open some new old stock and it appeared that the glue had dried/cracked and the media separated.

OP, you really might want to sacrifice one and see.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
Don't remember these but I'm sure they were the step up from the regular blue filter. Must have never caught on.

Interesting score! I believe those were an early type of synthetic filter, they called it "glass" if I recall correctly. I would be concerned about age though, I'd cut one to verify integrity before using the rest. Does the ADBV seal on the "blow" test? Age may have negatively affected the ADBV as well.

That size will fit many Chrysler products too, like my Jeep.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Not sure if the integrity of the media holds up that long even being un used. FWIW Fram considers 8 years too old for their resellers to keep product on the shelf.

Not saying it is bad but be cautious and cut used filters open to verify integrity.

The UPF I believe is a full synthetic wire backed media. I think it was one of the first full synthetic filters back in those days. I used a few on my Z06 back in the 2002~2005 time frame.

If they are indeed a breed of synthetic I would fathom they hold up to age much better. I've seen some cut open on Google they look robust.

If you have the means to cut one open I suggest you check the integrity of the glue anyways.

Always liked those. Still have some upf52 filters somewhere. I thought they were all silicone.

I used to buy those from gmpartsdirect back in the day. Always had good results from them though I used to do short OCIs before I started to go longer.

I believe I still have 3-4 around.

I am using one on my 95 LT-1 motor, but I paid almost 12 bucks for mine. Prior to the intro of the FU, I beleive the Ultraguards were the best filtering efficiency you could buy for your GM vehicle. Amazing filtering specs, something like greater than a 90% efficiency at a number between 5 & 10 mics--memory is not good enough to commit to a specific number

I sacrificed one just to see how they're holding up with age, and see no evidence that they'll perform any different than a brand new filter.

The rubber ADBV (which isn't really necessary in my vehicles) is VERY pliable, not hardened in any way. The filter passed the "blow" test so far as I could tell.

The media was a bit stiff and kind of made creaking noises as I shifted the pleats around, but I believe that to be the noise from adhesive in the center separating-- like the sound when you pull duck tape off the roll was very similar.

I could not pull the media away from the cured epoxy without destroying the filter. So again, no evidence that the materials used have been affected in any way by age. So I would say a 10-15 year old filter (at least this variety) would be safe to use, maybe I would question it as it approached 20 or so years.

For what it's worth, the filter media used is extremely thick and durable. No way I could cut or tear the media without a cutting tool.

Note that the small knicks evident in the filter media are from the cutting wheel on my angle grinder going too far through.

p00z.jpg

wsaz.jpg

w83n.jpg

tqw2.jpg

aycz.jpg

^^^ Yes, it looks good ... should be OK to use them. No signs of rust inside either which is good.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Did you notice ANY other sizes available besides the ones you've already mentioned??

I used to use these WHEN they were available for my LS1.
frown.gif

I'm pretty sure there's several sizes available, not sure what's on closeout. I think Rockauto will let you use a wildcard in the part number lookup.

Try UPF* under part number heading. Let us know what you find!

wonder if I could find one from my ride. looked on Rockauto and did not see one listed hmmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back