Project Malibu resurection: Death and rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I've often found that genuine OEM engine parts from a discounter are generally worth the price in the long run.

Pretty much home, just need to sonic tank the injectors. Maybe with some luck I'll have it running tomorrow?

Today, I got most of the stuff hooked up- the lines and harness routed properly, and the alternator and belt tensioner bolted down. Just have to zip the exhaust flange tight and the bottom bolts on the A/C compressor.

20140326_200220_HDR_zpschivnycg.jpg

Getting close!

Looks good!

Until this last photo. I was wondering what the hole was on the front of the block.

Yeah, that's the oil/air separator. The DNJ gasket set was missing the gasket for it, so while the parts store looked for it, I kept working. I later called the dealer and they told me that it's obsolete and no other dealers have it. The parts store couldn't find it through Fel-Pro either, so last night I just broke out the can of Right Stuff and stuck it on.

Ah the Right Stuff!

Love it!

When I had my TPI vette I used it on the intake. I had to remove when I did the storker motor. I couldn't get the dang intake off. I hooked the hoist up to it and applied a bit of pressure and left it over night. At some point that night it finally broke free!

Best gasket maker ever.

Well, the 'Bu lives again!

I got the injectors sonic tanked and finished some odds and ends, then cycled the key several times, and attempted to start. She fired right up with some lash adjuster (think lifter) noise, then hummed away.

Tomorrow I'll get a little more serious about running it- I only ran it for a few minutes before throwing in the towel for the night.

Yeah, it went pretty well. The machine shop really knocked the stuff out for me- usually their turn around time is much longer. A few parts shortages but really, not bad. I wanted to get it done ASAP because spring is rapidly approaching and that means field work and planting, so we'll be REALLY busy fairly soon.

Maybe tomorrow I an get some video of it running. I was rushed again so, no pics or video footage.

Last edited:
Alright, a short video of the nearly completed Malibu project...

It seemed to run well, in spite of the fact that the gas is well over a year old at this point. I couldn't go very far since the car isn't insured yet. Just down to the end of the gravel road and back.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Nice! Glad to see it went so smoothly for you.

I am too. Everyone will make mistakes- and I haven't made any big ones for a LONG time, so I'm sure I'm due. Maybe next time...

Did you find a hood light you like yet?

In a little while, I will post up the cost of this project.

So far, there is at least 2100.00 in it, including purchase price of the car, so I'm slightly below the anticipated cost. This includes not only engine work, but brake work and transmission service.

A small update:

The car has about 500 miles on it so far. After about 80 miles or so, I changed the oil. It hasn't missed a beat so far and is running even better than when I first fired it. The timing set seems a bit noisy once fully warmed, so I'll keep an ear out for it.

My wife is taking it on it's first trip out of town as I type- I'll change the oil again this weekend.

We're looking to sell her Grand Am. Once sold I will likely replace the tires- General Ultimaxes. They're NOISY!

Still have to tally the parts and machine work. Will do that someday and post the final cost.

Great thread, I loved the detail and the videos.

I think financially you are nuts putting money into a sub 1000 dollar car, unless it is a hobby for you.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I think financially you are nuts putting money into a sub 1000 dollar car, unless it is a hobby for you.

Financially he is wise. He paid $200 for this car. Lets just say he spent $400 on parts and machine work. He's only in $600.00 on a car that would likely fetch 2,000 on the used market. Give his intention of running it into
the ground, resale is not even a concern. He has spent less than half of the cars value, and will have a reliable daily driver for many years.

Great thread, I loved the detail and the videos.

Originally Posted By: asand1

Financially he is wise. He paid $200 for this car. Lets just say he spent $400 on parts and machine work. He's only in $600.00 on a car that would likely fetch 2,000 on the used market. Give his intention of running it into
the ground, resale is not even a concern. He has spent less than half of the cars value, and will have a reliable daily driver for many years.

Indeed. I'm not looking to resell this car. It is going to get driven. If resell was my goal, then profit would likely be VERY hard to attain. I only wish I had just a grand into it. But even at the amount that I'm anticipating (not totaled yet), it still pencils out cheaper on a cost per projected miles driven basis than buying newer and better, then driving for 100k. Heck, I'm only wanting to get 50k more miles out this car. Now if we can sell her other car for a reasonable amount, then that will offset the cost of this project and drive the cost per mile down even more.

If you're capable and have the resources, there's plenty of value in an older car. For us the "value" is (hopefully) low cost of operation, no car payment and the flexibility to upgrade sooner, all for a relatively low input cost.

Glad to hear it is running well!

Didn't get a light yet...Camping season so I don't spend much time in the Garage on the weekends, but I am going to look for one this evening.

Bumping this thread up with another update:

The 'Bu has 7,635 miles on it since it's re-birth, for a total of 180,188 miles and the engine hasn't missed a lick... Not one. It likes it's RPM for sure. It consumes no noticeable oil- none, nadda, zip, zero, in spite of having some light scoring from piston damage in hole #4.

Earlier in the thread, I mentioned a noisy timing set when hot- well figuring that I gambled and lost on that too, I ordered and installed a Cloyes set only to find the same thing! I was sure I had the problem correctly diagnosed because when I popped the timing cover off, the chain was loose enough to slap the timing chain housing. At that point I figured "What the heck" and planned to just run it. Well once I got a few more (progressively longer) oil changes ran through it, I dropped some QSUD (5w-30) in and at about that time, the noise largely disappeared! I still maintain that it was timing chain tensioner related though.

The A/C needs work (on the list) and it's getting shod with new Firestone Precision Touring tires next week, that way my better, fairer half can enjoy her newer ride in relative comfort and safety. The 4T40 trans suffers from the jerky shifting they are known for even though I completely replaced the fluid with Dex 6 and a bottle of Lubegaurd Red during the build. I also replaced one output shaft seal shortly after putting it in service.

Fuel economy is a bit of a sore spot. It really doesn't respond well to in town driving/short highwaytrips and comes in at 22-23 odd MPG. It seems to like stretching it's legs a bit on the highway and even if driving at higher speeds and somewhat aggressively (it is a Malibu after all, how aggressive can you get?), will still return 26mpg. The best it's seen has been 28mpg- all highway miles at or above 70mph with lots of full throttle blasts. I'm sure my wife will wring another 2-3 mpg out of it as she learns it's quirks. Even if it doesn't set the world on fire with astounding MPG numbers, it's still cheap to drive/own.

On the topic of cost- I never had run the numbers on cost to re-build the engine, replace the front brakes and all that other jazz... Not sure I ever will. If I had to guess though, I'd say it would be around 2600 dollars (including purchase), front brakes, transmission service work, engine mounts and so on. I just have to keep it all glued together for 42,365 or so miles!

I just read the entire post - very well written, and a great job with the rebuild! I'm also a fan of keeping older, cheaper cars on the road. I've bought a few over the years for peanuts, fixed them up and used them for a couple of years, often selling for a small profit in the end. Mind you, I'm also lucky enough to have after hours access to a fully equipped workshop, with hoist, air compressor and tools, oxy set, etc. It makes life much easier!

Again, kudos!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back