Rifle for a beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a brick of .22LR (Remington 525 rounds) at Bass Pro last month. $23.95. I think. You had to ask for it. That's a reasonable price. So, yes, I have been able to buy it, and recently.

It will be readily available again, but I will say that I have started buying ammo when I see a decent price. E.G. a case of 500 rounds of 5.56 XM193 for $219.00 at my local gun store. There will be ups and downs in the ammo supply/price market in the future. Buy it when it's down, and keep a year or two supply to protect yourself from the price spikes. In fact, I don't own a .22, but it's on my short list, so, just like buying stocks on the price dips, I have bought ammo the same way.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I'd like to recommend a Mosin-Nagant M44. It's cheap, cheap ammo, and recoil is very mild; like a gentle nudge.

That's pretty terrible to do to a new shooter.

While I'm sure you're joking, the joke isn't easily conveyed through the Internet.

It's in our interest to welcome and nurture new shooters, not give them advice that may leave them with the impression that "gun people" are a bunch of jerks.

10/22 is a great choice, but as mentioned, ammo is still tough to find. However, it can be customized in every way.

Pistol caliber carbine? I have a 9mm AR that's a ton of fun, but they're pricey to build and are probably a no-go in NYS. My next choice would be a Beretta CX4. Again, that one may also be verboten in NYS.

A Ruger 77/44 bolt action .44 Mag would be a very interesting choice. Recoil can be mild or wild, depending on your load. It also makes a good deer gun. .44 Mag ammo is expensive. They are reliable and durable.

Another option is a lever gun in .357 Mag. Rossi and the italian cowboy gun makers offer a few of these.

AR15.com has a fairly active hometown section for NYS. It might we worth a visit for you.

Originally Posted By: strat81
I'd like to recommend a Mosin-Nagant M44. It's cheap, cheap ammo, and recoil is very mild; like a gentle nudge.

That's pretty terrible to do to a new shooter.

While I'm sure you're joking, the joke isn't easily conveyed through the Internet.

It's in our interest to welcome and nurture new shooters, not give them advice that may leave them with the impression that "gun people" are a bunch of jerks.

10/22 is a great choice, but as mentioned, ammo is still tough to find. However, it can be customized in every way.

Pistol caliber carbine? I have a 9mm AR that's a ton of fun, but they're pricey to build and are probably a no-go in NYS. My next choice would be a Beretta CX4. Again, that one may also be verboten in NYS.

A Ruger 77/44 bolt action .44 Mag would be a very interesting choice. Recoil can be mild or wild, depending on your load. It also makes a good deer gun. .44 Mag ammo is expensive. They are reliable and durable.

Another option is a lever gun in .357 Mag. Rossi and the italian cowboy gun makers offer a few of these.

AR15.com has a fairly active hometown section for NYS. It might we worth a visit for you.

I agree with all of the above. I also think after shooting a bit, that an m44 or a mosin 91/30 is good to keep around along with an unopened milsurp can of 7.62x 54r ammo. Get several cans and keep some stored for if shtf.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
.22 ammo will come back online and be readily available again shortly.

47705278.jpg

Sounds like you're looking for a .22. About any name brand .22 is OK. Just buy the best your budget allows and that fits you. I consider the Marlin 39 to be the Cadillac of .22s. If you're OK with bolts the Ruger American already mentioned is a sturdy man sized .22 as well. Just be careful with the mags so you don't end up in jail for having something your overlords don't think you should have.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
You must have different rules there. I obtained a pistol permit, went to the store and bought the pistol and was using it in the range within about 45 mins. I must confess that I was very surprised!

It takes 9-12 months from submitting the application to when it's approved. You get fingerprinted, background checked, you have to provide references...

Wow, your rules are very different. We recently changed address so I thought that I should check with the police to see if there was anything that I needed to do. They contacted me back and the answer was "nothing", they didn't even ask what the address was, only if it was in the same State.

Id recommend a Mosin-Nagant as well. They are only $100 and ammo is pretty cheap too. I own 6 of them and as my first rifle its still my favorite after several otheres Ive picked up.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
You must have different rules there. I obtained a pistol permit, went to the store and bought the pistol and was using it in the range within about 45 mins. I must confess that I was very surprised!

It takes 9-12 months from submitting the application to when it's approved. You get fingerprinted, background checked, you have to provide references...

But despite all the hassle, which I believe to be wrong, I would get the process started. You may find that in the future, your needs/concerns change and you decide to get a handgun. Better to have that process completed and be able to get your gun than to begin and have to wait while you need the gun....

Enjoy the rifle and learn the basics, but get this started before they take it away for good and you're left with no options.

You better stock up on that 7.62x54r ammo. I wouldn't be surprised if one/only of the "sanctions" against Russia will be that American shooters don't want it's cheap ammo.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

But despite all the hassle, which I believe to be wrong, I would get the process started. You may find that in the future, your needs/concerns change and you decide to get a handgun. Better to have that process completed and be able to get your gun than to begin and have to wait while you need the gun....

Enjoy the rifle and learn the basics, but get this started before they take it away for good and you're left with no options.

Yep, either move to a free state or play along but not having a handgun or three is not a very good option.

LOL, the only thing that thing is good for is burning up ammo. .32 is too expensive to burn. May as well build an AR pistol. Cost less to shoot and make more noise.

Yeah...in New York? Remember the part where the OP said he didn't want to do all the paperwork for a pistol???

Originally Posted By: GMFan
.22LR practically does not exist. I cannot find this ammo anywhere.

Not in your state, I would imagine...

Fortunately, I still live in America....

Last edited:
Welcome to NY!! Please check your 2nd amendment rights at the border, you may pick them up on the way out. Have a nice day!

Originally Posted By: Astro14
.22LR practically does not exist. I cannot find this ammo anywhere.

Not in your state, I would imagine...

Fortunately, I still live in America....

NRA membership doubled in NY state in the last year and for good reason. However the damage is done and I will be leaving this cesspool of a state as soon as I can. Plus our governor said people like me have no place in NY so I'm gonna heed his advice and leave.

Plus our governor said people like me have no place in NY so I'm gonna heed his advice and leave.

So he doesn't like people who drive GM products?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Plus our governor said people like me have no place in NY so I'm gonna heed his advice and leave.

So he doesn't like people who drive GM products?
grin.gif

I suppose that was a joke, but this is what our governor said:
Quote:
You have a schism within the Republican Party. … They’re searching to define their soul, that’s what’s going on. Is the Republican party in this state a moderate party or is it an extreme conservative party? That’s what they’re trying to figure out. It’s a mirror of what’s going on in Washington. The gridlock in Washington is less about Democrats and Republicans. It’s more about extreme Republicans versus moderate Republicans.

… You’re seeing that play out in New York. … The Republican Party candidates are running against the SAFE Act — it was voted for by moderate Republicans who run the Senate! Their problem is not me and the Democrats; their problem is themselves. Who are they? Are they these extreme conservatives who are right-to-life, pro-assault-weapon, anti-gay? Is that who they are? Because if that’s who they are and they’re the extreme conservatives, they have no place in the state of New York, because that’s not who New Yorkers are.

Essentially, anyone who doesn't agree with abortion, weapons bans, and gay marriage doesn't belong in NYS.

But this is probably getting too political. Back to the guns!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back